“Faded Glory Finds New Uses in Downtown Cairo”

Windsor Hotel Cairo
Ranked #24 of 141 Hotels in Cairo
Reviewed 11 June 2012

Michael Palin stayed at the Windsor during the filing of his series "Around the World in 80 Days" and generally what's good enough for Mr. Palin, the legendary traveller and Python performer, is good enough for me. Yes, its days as a colonial officers' club are far in the past, but the staff, led by the ever helpful Samir, is meticulous in keeping the place clean and in responding to every request. They can also set you up with tours of every description at a reasonable price. It takes a while to get used to having a guy take you up in the manual lift, and to the expectation of a gratuity added on to the 10% service charge and 12% tax added to every restaurant bill, but prices in the spacious (and WIFI-enabled) lounge are low and the food available to this vegetarian--hoummos, felafel, tahina and pizza--was tasty and filling. The location, a short walk from Midan Oraby, and steps from the Ataba metro station, is close to everything, yet far enough from Tahrir that if you don't want to be involved in the daily demos you can go about your business with the 19,900,000 Caireans who do the same. In Cairo you need a hotel you can trust, and a prlce to go after a day spent on some very hard streets. The Windsor fits that bill admirably.

Room Tip: There are two types of rooms, standard and renovated. If you haggle a bit you can get the renovated...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled solo

Reviewed 14 May 2012

It's not just the people with no poetry in their soul who hate this hotel. Add to the list those of us who have travelled around the world, high and low, long enough to know when they're staying in a rip-off joint.
i give the Windsor one star for its location, and for the sweet helpfulness of the woman who cleaned our room. As for the slobs who run the front desk, the lazy, smarmy manager who managed to visit between games of tennis, and, worst of all, the barmen in the famous Barrel Bar, who seem to be running a serious scam in there, they don't deserve even that.
I love to feel the hum of a well-run hotel, its a magical thing (no matter how many stars it has got) but the Windsor is so badly run, it's really just an exercise in bad faith.
And as noted, it serves the worst breakfasts in Cairo. Contrary to what some of the reviewers say, Egypt has wonderful food and the right hotel can help let you in on the secret.
Oh, and the rates are an insult.

Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
10  Thank linda s
Reviewed 14 May 2012

I'm currently staying at the Windsor Hotel for three weeks. I wanted to write a review before I left because I've been having such a wonderful time here and was saddened to hear that their reservations have dropped because visitors are afraid of living in Downtown Cairo.

I thought I'd share my experience in case it would help others decide. First, I booked the Windsor after reading tripadvisor reviews. Before coming here, several of my friends at home scared me not to live near Tahrir Sq. but I had committed to the hotel and didn't want to cancel. Well, when I arrived I was relieved to have kept my reservation. The hotel is beautiful; historic architecture, antique furniture, a welcoming staff that creates a family-like atmosphere. I'm a woman traveling alone so I found that the spacious, sunny hall of the Barrel Bar is a great place to read or surf the web, with the sound of classical music and Fairuz tunes in the background.

My room is on the top floor, the bathroom was recently renovated so it has a sparkling bathtub; the AC is a bit noisy but works well, there is decent sunlight in the room, a desk that I much appreciate since I work during the day in the room. There are occasionally a few mosquitoes/bugs - which I'm not shocked by since I've lived in Pakistan and they are a common feature of any home - but whenever I alert the staff, they're quick to spray the room and remove any trespassing insects.

Overall, I've found the atmosphere at the Windsor so welcoming and inviting that I wanted to do all I could to spread the word and invite others. This hotel is not for people who expect 5-star luxury but for people who want a place with a sense of history, with beautiful antique furnishings (like the old piano with candle-holders), and a staff with character who extend family-like hospitality to guests, then the Windsor is the right place for them.

A general note on Cairo: I've been here since May 7th 2012 and am staying through June 2nd. The hotel is very close to the Attaba Metro so its easy and safe to take that even later at night because there are always people at the nearby cafes and shops. Many people had scared me abuot the harassment of solo women travelers in Cairo - I personally haven't had any trouble (but that may be because I'm brown-skinned and am mistaken for a local). The only problem I've had was with overcharging taxi drivers but I've learnt to become careful about only taking taxis that have a meter. I've been to Tahrir Sq. several times and haven't encountered any safety-related problems there or in any other part of Cairo. The city sidewalks are always filled with people and they seem to be too busy living their lives to be deterred by any political instability.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo
5  Thank TMK1980
Reviewed 18 April 2012

This is the downtown hotel that time forgot, and we loved every minute of our stay here.

We stayed with our 2year old son and the location was perfect for visiting all the sights.
We used the hotel's guide for a day and he was really great, I think he was called Mena.

The staff went out of their way to look after us and even helped to get our money back after getting ripped off by a street vendor!

Fantastic tea coffee shop opposite too.

Would recommend the Windsor to everyone and would definitely go back.

Stayed: January 2012
4  Thank S M
Reviewed 10 April 2012

My first visit to the Windsor Hotel was 8 years ago. Back then I paid £7 per room per night for a double room with private bathroom but excluding breakfast. I had a great experience given the rates and was looking forward to staying there again despite the inflated price.

My husband and I paid for a deluxe room. We stayed at room 5 on the 2nd floor. The room was spacious and nicely furnished with a decent bathroom. However the noise coming from the street and within the hotel frequently interrupted our sleep. Our friends, who were staying in a room on the top floor, experienced the same discomfort.

The breakfast now offered by the hotel was poor: stewed tea/coffee, different types of bread, butter and processed cheese, cold hibiscus tea and a piece of fruit. Considering the price charged I expected at least fresh tea! For an extra U$10 you can stay at the Longchamps Hotel in Zamalek and enjoy a true buffet breakfast!

The staff was very friendly and attentive. However one particular member of staff tried very hard to push expensive tours on us, at about EGP100 more than you could get somewhere else.

The Windsor Hotel is still an interesting place to visit but they should really improve the soundproofing and breakfast to match the current rates charged.

Room Tip: Pick a deluxe room on the highest floor possible.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends