All reviewssamir fayekbarrel barbritish officersagatha christiefaded eleganceancient elevatoregyptian museumunique hotelmetro stopcall to prayerbreakfast roomtour operatorheart of downtowndossswitchboardalfischindler
Reviewed 10 April 2012

My first visit to the Windsor Hotel was 8 years ago. Back then I paid £7 per room per night for a double room with private bathroom but excluding breakfast. I had a great experience given the rates and was looking forward to staying there again despite the inflated price.

My husband and I paid for a deluxe room. We stayed at room 5 on the 2nd floor. The room was spacious and nicely furnished with a decent bathroom. However the noise coming from the street and within the hotel frequently interrupted our sleep. Our friends, who were staying in a room on the top floor, experienced the same discomfort.

The breakfast now offered by the hotel was poor: stewed tea/coffee, different types of bread, butter and processed cheese, cold hibiscus tea and a piece of fruit. Considering the price charged I expected at least fresh tea! For an extra U$10 you can stay at the Longchamps Hotel in Zamalek and enjoy a true buffet breakfast!

The staff was very friendly and attentive. However one particular member of staff tried very hard to push expensive tours on us, at about EGP100 more than you could get somewhere else.

The Windsor Hotel is still an interesting place to visit but they should really improve the soundproofing and breakfast to match the current rates charged.

Room Tip: Pick a deluxe room on the highest floor possible.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank LucyCarvalho
Reviewed 5 April 2012

For an older couple on a limited budget visiting Egypt for the first time this place was just what we needed as a base. We loved the delightful, authentic, if faded, 1930s atmosphere: spacious rooms with high ceilings, comfortable beds, original polished floors; even the phones and, by the look of it, the air cons were of the period but all were in working order. The beds were clean, the shower worked (after waiting 5 minutes for hot water) and the toilet didn't leak - all common bugbears internationally in cheaper establishments. Yes we used the ancient lift, which is fun, but we also enjoyed racing up the grand, wide stairs. We appreciated the free wifi in the bar. The continental breakfasts were fine. An evening meal was very average but the Windsor doesn't have that alone. No-one should go to Egypt (at least at the budget end) expecting a culinary experience. A food country it isn't.

Most of all we valued three particular aspects of this hotel.

First, the central location downtown amongst the locals going about their daily lives, and the hotel's proximity to the metro and the not-to-be-missed Egyptian museum .

Second, the staff's approachability and service consciouseness were of a high standard.

Third, Mr Samir. the hotel's travel agent, who has been doing this job since 1986. He can organise anything in or out of Cairo. He arranged all our out-of-town trips, including train, boat and bus tickets and accomodation at points between Cairo and Aswan and over to Sinai, all at a reasonable and acceptable price for what we wanted. For a 6 night, 5 day Cairo/Abu Simbel return, including visiting all sites we wanted in between, with all transport,accomodation, breakfasts and some lunches and evening meals included, including guide fees but excluding entry fees to attractions, we paid USD146 for two people per day, which was acceptable. We specified our own package and found Smir and his colleagues in Luxor, Aswan and Sinai to be very service conscious. Everything went without a hitch. Normally we try to arrange everything ourselves but it would have been a lot of hassle.

We would stay at the Windsor and we would use Mr. Samir's services again.

Room Tip: Rooms with balconies are spacious and airy.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank AntalyaAnneandDave
Reviewed 3 April 2012

Further to my mother in law's review (Brigitte James, Wimborne, Enland) and as I said in my review under Memphis Tours, Cairo, we picked the Windsor Hotel because it was central to all our needs. We also wanted to have a feel for the real Cairo/Egypt and not be in a sterile five star hotel.
We arrived at the Windsor Hotel in the early evening, as our car pulled up outside the hotel, I did wonder what my mother in law was thinking booking this hotel, BUT my first impression soon changed.
To start with the hotel was spotlessly clean (I’m a clean freak, so that’s a massive compliment). Immediately I felt a lovely atmosphere and I instantly felt at home.
Our room was spacious and during our week at the Windsor Hotel, there was always hot water and I enjoyed a long shower morning and evening.
The bar/restaurant of the hotel was really lovely and we enjoyed a few gin and tonics and meals. Again there was a great atmosphere, very relaxed and welcoming. The bar/restaurant staff were always happy and nothing was too much trouble. The meals were very good and handy, especially if we did not want to leave the hotel again after a busy day.
Breakfast was continental and an ideal way to start our day. There was much tea and coffee as you wanted, which was good because it takes a few coffees to wake me up. All the food was fresh and again the breakfast staff were happy, helpful and very welcoming.
Mr Doss, the owner, was at breakfast several times during our stay and he always enquired how things were going and if there was anything else the hotel could do for us. The Windsor Hotel has a very personal touch about it.
As I mentioned, our hotel was central to everything and unless we were going out with Memphis Tours on a trip, we were able to walk everywhere. The Cairo Museum was only a steady 20 minute stroll away.
We also had some wonderful restaurants and coffee shops nearby – Groppi, Cafe Riche, Alfi Bey and Aly Hassan Al-Haty & Aly Abdou, the later being our favourite but all worth a visit.
I wish to send a big thank you to Mr Doss and all his wonderful staff for making our stay such a memorable time. I will definitely return to the Windsor Hotel and hope to take my son very soon for another visit.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Paula J
Reviewed 1 April 2012

Its a charming place, well located and affordable prices. I would come back here.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 March 2012

Two times in 2011 I came to Cairo: three weeks in Easter season and three weeks in October/November. Political and every day life changes, caused by the "Arabic Revolution", created a new feeling inside myself... In times of such elementary changes in society not only the Egyptian people are looking for their new positions under the new conditions, but especially the European visitors have to get used to the "new Egypt". I experienced WINDSOR HOTEL as the right place for reassuring and reflecting upon the impressions of the day. The famous barrel bar at the first floor is an excellent contact address for travellers from all over the world. The owner Mr.Doss and his staff make the difference between a *****-Hotel and a hotel of first-class excellence reminding you of home! WINDSOR Hotel is a reliable address especially in times of fundamental changes in Egypt for visitors who want to feel safe during their stay in Cairo and who look for exchange of ideas and experiences.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with friends