“Best Location, Great Staff, Nice Hotel”

Windsor Hotel Cairo
Ranked #23 of 141 Hotels in Cairo
Reviewed 20 March 2011

Stayed at Windsor for a long weekend. The location is perfect near all the attractions and the metro. The staff, Samir and others, were very helpful in arranging day trips to the Pyramids, Heliopolis, etc. Clean Bathrooms, comfy beds and old world charm!

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with friends

Reviewed 19 March 2011

You can feel the old Egypt from the architecture and furniture. Friendly staff and its in down town and easy to go any where as it is in the center of Cairo and very good rates.

• Stayed: March 2011
Reviewed 17 March 2011

I really liked this hotel. I spent about a week there this past January.

The first thing that gave me positive vibes about this place happened before I even arrived. I’d sent in a query as to whether I needed a credit card to guarantee a room reservation. (I do not use credit cards; I always pay cash for everything, and sometimes that makes it a bit more problematic to have a room reservation guaranteed.)

To my delight, I received a reply within 24 hours, saying that they did not require a credit card to guarantee a room reservation and that I could pay either on the day of my arrival or on the day of my departure. (They also provide airport transfer service.)

The room I had was clean, comfortable, and quiet. It was on the 3rd (4th?) floor.

The hotel has a somewhat ‘antique-looking’ elevator, but it’s completely functional and contributes to the overall character of the hotel. (Most days, I simply chose to take the stairs – all 135 of them, just to get some exercise.)

Breakfast – included in the price of the room – was a continental-type breakfast and was overseen by two extremely pleasant sisters. (I never thought to ask their names.)

The main lounge, for me, really conjured up images of the days when the British Officer’s Club hung its collective hat there. The waiter in the lounge was very, very nice – and once, again I never thought to ask his name. It was such a delight just to sit and relax there, while having a cup of coffee and a sandwich.

The guys manning the front desk were all very, very helpful indeed, from booking tours to getting taxis.

In fact, the Windsor does run a couple of tours, and the one I took was to the pyramids. There were only four people in this tour group, which made for a very pleasant trip. I must say that Lydia, our tour guide, and Ashraf, our driver, were just great.

The hotel is also within easy walking distance of the Cairo subway, which is very convenient.

As to the ‘negatives’ of the Windsor Hotel – well, I’m very hard-pressed to find any. My room didn’t have a particularly interesting ‘view’, but then I didn’t go to Cairo to look out of a hotel window. Hot water takes a bit longer to reach rooms on the upper floors than it does to reach rooms on the lower floors, but so what? This didn’t present any problems for me at all. The carpets were somewhat old, but they were clean. What I first thought might be stains turned out to be only shadows of the bed frame.

I think what I liked most about this hotel was its overall ambience. However, it’s really the staff that makes the Windsor Hotel so special.

Would I go back to the Windsor? You bet. Would I recommend this hotel to friend and family? In a heartbeat.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 13 February 2011

My first visit to Cairo began by seeing my name on a sign in the airport lobby. It was being held by hotel tour guide Samir Fayek who waited patiently an extra two hours for my delayed flight. Like all the staff at the Windsor, Samir spoke English and was most courteous. He gave me a complete list of do's and don't while in the city and offered the very best tours at the very lowest cost.

Once settled in my cozy, very clean room with shower and, important to me, full WiFi access, I decided to check out the bar and restaurant. Here I was not disappointed. The food was absolutely delicious and nutritous. But the classically beautiful furnishings revealed why the Hotel had been a favorite of celebrities in its golden years. I think it was originally built around 1901.

For me, I love that history and old charm minus modern renovations that would erase its unique character. Someone like Humphrey Bogart would have stayed here. Anyway, that is how I feel.

Finally, I want to thank the staf, including the large group of family owners, who graciously helped me with directions, finding a connector for my camera, locating money exchange vendors and a host of other details. They were always asking me if I needed assistance.

I spent many an hour relaxing at the Windsor and hiighly recommend it for those interested in a bargain. It offers so much likely not found elsewhere. And, after bragging about this place to my wife in San Francisco, she insisted she come with me on my next trip to this wonderful city. Yeah!

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 11 February 2011

Our trip to Cairo coincided with the early days of the Egyptian people's protests. Great location for observation without being in danger. The staff was terrific in helping us stay safe and informed during a time when mobile phones and Internet were cut and confusion reined. During peaceful times this would still be a lovely place to stay, a step back in time and tradition. Rooms are "basic" but clean and adequate and the staff is attentive to any needs. The bar and lounge/restaurant was a great place to hang out during curfew! (Free WiFi unless the government cuts it.)

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled on business