“Oasis of Calm”

Cairo Marriott Hotel & Omar Khayyam Casino
Ranked #9 of 139 Hotels in Cairo
Reviewed 17 May 2012

Lovely hotel that used to be a Palace. Built on an island in the Nile connected by bridges, a haven from the mad hustle bustle that is Cairo. Nice food - look out for the BBQ - very tasty. Excellent courteous service. Nice patiserrie in hotel.
Beautiful,lush relaxing gardens that are all lit up at night. Beautiful decor and romantic atmosphere. Lovely pool with gorgeous landscaping.
Stayed in an enormous suite - very comfortable, but furniture could do with an upgrade!!

Room Tip: Hotel has 2 towers - Zamalek Tower - can be noisy due facing one of the connecting bridges. Gezira...
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank AA747
EmyElShourbagi, Manager at Cairo Marriott Hotel & Omar Khayyam Casino, responded to this reviewResponded 20 May 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your valued feedback, we are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us. We do hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Palace in the near future.

Customer Care

Write a ReviewReviews (2,382)

Reviewed 11 May 2012

We enjoyed one lovely night at the Marriott when we came back from camping in the desert. What a way to be welcomed back into civilization!

We stayed in the Marriott after having a very negative experience at another Cairo hotel and cancelling our booking there. The Cairo Marriott in Zamalek was having a special deal on the 25th of each month (which happened to be when we needed a room) so we paid $155 (including tax) rather than the usual $240 (including tax). At the price we paid it was excellent value for money but I don't think I would have felt that way at the full price. It was a lovely night of luxury (enjoying the beautiful grounds and snickering a bit at the overpriced souvenir shops and restaurants).

The room was well-appointed and the pool area was a lovely oasis (surrounded by beautiful gardens). In the main areas of the hotel, you get the feeling of the old palace the place once was but this sense doesn't carry over into the rooms which are more standard upscale hotel fare. The hotel is very close to the busy restaurant and shops area of Zamalek (which is an expat and embassy district that's nice and safe to wander around in the evening) so it's easy to find someplace to eat outside of the hotel. The staff was excellent...very helpful and attentive!

Room Tip: We had a garden view room with a partial Nile view (we hadn't booked a Nile view room) but the g...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank TheSpineyNorman
EmyElShourbagi, Manager at Cairo Marriott Hotel & Omar Khayyam Casino, responded to this reviewResponded 17 May 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your valued feedback, and we are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us. We do hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Palace in the near future.

Reviewed 9 May 2012

I stayed at the old wing -- offered the option to upgrade at check in but it was a steep price to start with, I was only staying for the location of Zamalek as everything you can find around there. The room was okay, dated but the nile view was great. Room service food wasn't 5* but more 3*-4*. However, there were lots of good restaurants outside the hotel round the corner after passing the bridge. I would say that this hotel attracts many guests and hardly is empty due to the location. I wish these types of hotels re-invest in their property in order to get re-occuring customers like myself. I'd try the Kempinski on my next stay. However, for its location of Zamalek it is the best! The connecting rooms are daunting as if the stranger in the room next door blasts his t.v you will get to hear it, for me I heard the t.v music channel next door until 3am.

Overall: Overpriced, good feel of historic design, staff are kind, friendly and helpful. The bed and pillows were great to sleep on.

Room Tip: The best rooms here are with the view on the nile.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank X R

Dear Sir,

Thank you for your feedback, and I am so sorry that you did not have a good experience with us during your last stay. We at Marriott strive for excellence and can only improve with your comments. I would very much welcome a discussion with you on the issues that you had with us, please do contact me on emy.elshourbagi@marriott.com.

Reviewed 2 May 2012

After a lot of comparison and consideration, I decided to stay at the Marriott in Zamalek. Although the standards for hotels seem to be lower in the Middle East, the Marriott was pretty in line with the brand for the most part. I would not consider it a 5 star hotel, but a solid 4 star. But I was very pleased with my choice. It was a beautiful property, and a cool historic building and the location was perfect. Zamalek is a great area that is an oasis from downtown yet only minutes away from the heart of city.

The minor negatives:

Food. Although good, the hotel restaurants are very overpriced for Egypt, and even a bit expensive for the US. But I guess that is to be expected, and there are quite a few restaurant options near the hotel. Also, bringing outside drinks and snacks is frowned upon by the hotel. But I have heard this is common at all the higher end hotels in Cairo and I never had a problem bringing in a couple beers or bottles of water at a time. But they might give you a hard time if you are bringing grocery bags of food in.

Also the casino was not what I expected it to be. It was very small room, and usually only a couple tables open at once so they were always pretty crowded. So I ended up not gambling at all which I had kind of looked forward to.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Prime81
EmyElShourbagi, Manager at Cairo Marriott Hotel & Omar Khayyam Casino, responded to this reviewResponded 10 May 2012

Dear Sir,

Thank you very much for your feedback on your stay at the Cairo Marriott Hotel & Omar Khayyam Casino. We are delighted that you have enjoyed your stay with us. We take our customer feedback of utmost importance and would like to assure you that we continue to benchmark all our pricing against the market and updates are made accordingly.

Thanking you again for your valuable comments and we look forward to welcome you back to the Palace in the near future.

Reviewed 2 May 2012

There is nowhere else that you should even consider staying. The first time I stayed at the Cairo Marriott on Zamalek Island in the Nile, I thought I had been beamed up onto an intergalactic Space Station. There were people from everywhere in the Middle East, from Europe, the Antipodies and the Americas, what a feast for the eyes and the ears! At one moment there was a sheik with his collection of wives and children sweeping through the foyer, at another businessmen from Europe meeting up with their counterparts from Egypt, people were relaxing over snacks and refreshments in the foyer coffee shop, while we waited for our guide to check us in and check our room. Whatever you want or need can be had here: access to ATMs; money changers; exotic and gold jewellery; newspapers from all corners of the world; books; maps; a massage; sunglasses; a bakery; headache pills; souveniers; textiles; fashion. There are many eating options: room service; outdoor restaurants; American hamburger diner; international fine dining. There is coffee any way you like to have it. I prefer Egyptian Coffee and I like to have it in the Garden Restaurant with all of the delightfil aromas of food and shisha (apple tobacco smoked through a water pipe) and panoply of colours of Egypt engulfing me. If you are given to gaming, then there is an excellent casino at this hotel, with staff who are very happy to provide your choice of gambling for you at whatever time you are inclined to do so. This hotel is basically two towers built beside the original Palace which was constructed to receive Princess Eugenie of Russia who would visit for the opening of the Suez Canal. The original fixtures, features and fittings lovingly remain in all their lavishness and lushness: the marble staircases; the guilted mirrors; the grand dining rooms; all instantly transporting. One of my favourite features of the Cairo Marriott is their breakfasts! I am prepared to travel across the world just to sit in the Marriott breakfast dining room. You can choose from cuisines, they are all there: English; Japanese; Middle Eastern; Scandinavian; American; French (Continental). I like to mix and match. The egg chef is a delight to watch. The waiters are prepared to do a special arrangement on coffee i.e.get it for you exactly as you like it, for me, a double Egyptian (Greek/Turkish style). They know if you start your day well, the rest of the day will be great. The rooms are as grand as you choose, from standard to grand suites. Regardless, they are all on the large side and luxurious. We asked for a Nile View room and were not disappointed. The Nile at night is even more magic than it is in the day. Nearly everyone who visits Cairo is going to take a side trip to Alexandria, the Sinai or a Nile Cruise to see the Valley of the Kings and the temple at Karnak. The Marriott has a huge luggage storage capacity for these guests. I like to stay in Cairo for a period, cruise the Nile or visit other parts of Egypt, then come back to Cairo for a period before travelling on. So the luggage storage amenity is vital. This hotel has excellent security in place, so you can always feel safe here. Should you wish to immerse yourself in Cairo street life, it is just around the corner. Here you can taste the local cuisine in delightful small eateries and meet the locals. If I had to choose one word to describe the Cairo Marriott, I would vacillate between "Service" and "Transporting"!

Room Tip: Ask for a Nile View room higher floor in either of the two towers.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Star707

Dear guest,

We are delighted that you had an enjoyable stay with us at the Cairo Marriott Hotel & Omar Khayyam Casino. Thank you for sharing your experience, the hotel as you mentioned is a historical Palace, originally built by Khedive Ismail Pasha for the inauguration of the Suez Canal celebrations in 1869. The Palace housed European monarchs, including Empress Eugenie, the wife of Napoleon III, and was also the venue for the first performance of Verdi’s Opera Aida.

Once again thank you so much for taking the time to share your recent experience at our hotel and we hope to welcome you back in the near future.