“Pretty Cool Hotel”

Ranked #60 of 474 Hotels in Seoul
Tauranga, New Zealand
“Pretty Cool Hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 February 2012

Stayed 2 nights on recent business trip and was thoroughly impressed. Pretty awesome modern decor, trendy bar, lovely big rooms. Only had breakfast there and good range on offer. Only nuisance is that it is not in downtown CBD. The lifts are V cool

• Stayed December 2011, travelled on business
GregF1, General Manager at Vista Walkerhill Seoul, responded to this review, 8 March 2012
Hi There FlyingKiwi2012,

We appreciate your great comments and look forward to welcoming you back. Hopefully on your next visit, you will have more time to relax and explore the local area.

Greg

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 February 2012

I have been coming to the W-Seoul ever since November of 2007. I've stayed at this immaculate hotel over 70 nights over the past 4 years. I know every little part of the hotel like my own home. I've brought my mom, sister, girlfriend and host of friends over the years during business trips and social trips. I tell you all of this because not only I feel comfortable reviewing this hotel, I also feel obligated to share my experience with everyone.

Firstly you'll experience style and atmosphere, right as you enter the vast lobby and if you like modern art, right by the welcome desk, you'll see the greatest little "wall art" you'll ever see! I won't ruin the surprise for you but I will say it's wooden and it's mechanical! Once you've gotten over how well designed the lobby and the connecting Woo Bar is, you'll then be blown away with your room.

No matter what room you have, hands down, it will be the coolest room you've ever been in! I've had the pleasure of experiencing almost every room except the Extreme WOW suite which the name explains it all. But I can say every single room is not only comfortable, trendy and hip, it's actually priced decently too. This is not the cheapest hotel in Seoul, but why stay somewhere cheap when you can pay for something reasonable and get blown away with value for your money.

Look, if you ever decide to leave the room, go to the gym. Beyond state of the art. Or go swimming at their 3rd floor pool with ceiling high glass window looking at the Han river and down at the wonderful city of Seoul.

If you're hungry I suggest the Kitchen (one of three eateries on site), fine dining at a decent price with another view of Seoul that must be seen to be truly experienced! If you go for dinner, I suggest the X-Burger, it's AMAZING! The point is, the hotel is built in a way where you constantly see the landscape outside! Meanwhile, if drink is your passion, hit the Woo Bar on a weekend night (check to know when exactly) where the lobby turns into a very hot and happening night club! Again, hip and trendy is just the prerequisite, every time the experience is remarkable.

But when it's all set and done, I don't stay at the W-Seoul for any of these reasons. Other hotels can do this too. I stay here, and bring my loved ones with me because not only I get the best hotel, but what I really get is the best staff that make the whole experience that much more comfortable, easy and smooth. And when you travel as much as I do, and those who do can relate to this, the service you get from a hotel always is more prioritized over any other amenity or benefit.

I come to Seoul, because I have to, I stay at the W-Seoul because I want to and I return because that's the smartest thing I can do.

Best hotel in Seoul, best service in the world.

Room Tip: Either view is good from either side of this hotel. However, I would say try to stay in a different...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Landed-SPG
GregF1, General Manager at Vista Walkerhill Seoul, responded to this review, 5 February 2012
Hello Landed-SPG,

Nothing else I can say, as you have said it all!

Thanks from all the W Seoul team for your great review and we all look forward to welcoming back soon to your home away from home whilst in Seoul!

Shoreline, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 January 2012

We traveled to Seoul to pick up our son who had been studying there for 4 months. This hotel gave us a good deal on our points, so we chose it instead of the Westin Chosun. In hindsight, we would have picked the Westin as it was closer to the center of Seoul. This hotel was fine, though, as we used the subway most of the time for our trips. They offer a free shuttle to and from the subway station.

Restaurants are very expensive on site. Breakfast was 120 Won for a buffet. The casino is small but fun as a distraction. The lobby is open to the bar area where there is nightly dancing and DJ for the young, hip set. We were traveling with our 21 and 18 year olds...we didn't quite fit with the crowd...

Staff was top-notch and uber-helpful. Rooms were decked out in red furnishings. Our room was on the 6th floor with a great view of the river and surrounding hills. Very pretty when it snowed. Would have liked a door to the main bathroom area, but we made do. The toilet and the shower each have their own door but it's a bit see-through. There is a screen that can be lowered to sort of separate the room from the bathroom.

Would definitely recommend it.

Room Tip: As for a river view. Don't bother with the pizza on the hill.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank AltenaTime
Hi there Hipster!

Thanks for all the positive comments and for pointing out the access to the rest of Seoul with our free shuttle bus and subway.

Just on the breakfast buffet, it is KW33,000 ++ person for a full hot buffet.

Thanks for taking the time to write a review and hopefully we see you back next time to bust out some dance moves with our nightly DJ.

New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 December 2011

Stayed at this W last week, and really liked the aesthetic--caveat is that they seem to be trying a bit too hard, and if you're after a more warm, homey vibe, this might not be the place for you. The lobby is large and well-designed (Jenga game in the cocktail area is a nice, quirky touch), the rooms are a reasonable size with excellent wireless, a well-stocked mini-bar, a great tub and shower, and nice Bliss toiletries. The restaurant was wonderful, with great views and nicely prepared food--though not a lot of choices for simple fare.

The staff was extremely helpful and all spoke English. At (a very early) check-out, and facing a two hour ride, the front desk staff was kind enough to procure a croissant from the kitchen as the lobby cafe was closed. Very thoughtful, and while the croissant itself satisfied the need for food--any food--it was anything but fresh and buttery.

Note that the hotel is on the outskirts of the city center, so it takes a while to get to where you're going.

Room Tip: Be sure to specify a river view.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank IslandGirlNYC
Hello IslandGirlNYC

We appreciated your feedback and I have shared all your comments with our W Seoul team and was great to hear that our talent looked after you so personally.

We do look forward to welcoming you back and next time, make sure you try our Grown Up Grilled Cheese sandwich. Burgers or any of our salads for simple fare. If there is something you particularly like, please let the serving staff know and they will endeavour to deliver on what you wish, as we know being on the road alot you sometimes just crave that opportunity to have a simple home cooked meal.

Thanks again

NYC, NY
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 December 2011

This was my first time to Seoul, I stayed here for 5 nights. I never considered where the hotel was in relation to downtown Seoul, and only realized this hotel is not downtown upon arrival. My fault, I could have checked beforehand on the map where it is but I was just assuming most W Hotels are downtown. Anyway, the pick-up at the airport prearranged by the hotel was easy and the driver was easily identifiable. Upon arrival the check-in was down at the designated SPG counter,we received an upgrade. The rooms are very modern with a lot of touches one will typically only find in an Asian hotel. The bathroom was very clean and well maintained but with a lot of white tiles and glass not my style. The floor to ceiling windows in our corner room were great in the morning when looking down the river. The bar is typical W style. Breakfast is a-m-a-z-i-n-g and it's probably my most favorite memory of this hotel. The Spa is nice, the pool is simple and could use some TLC to make it a little more welcoming (if you want more than just swimming laps). The entire front office staff and concierge staff was great help throughout our stay. They helped arrange drivers, restaurants and whatever we needed so they were a little more difficult when we had to deal with them over email prior to arrival. Overall great experience at this hotel.

Room Tip: Top floor facing the river.
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
GregF1, General Manager at Vista Walkerhill Seoul, responded to this review, 1 January 2012
Hi ThomasNY,
We appreciated all your great comments, especially on the performance of the Front Office and Concierge team. These were shared ith them and really helps motivate them to continue to an outstanding job. We appreciate you taking the time to write down your thoughts and do hope to welcome you back to the W Seoul in the near future.