“Terrific location, decent rooms”
Review of Metro Hotel

Metro Hotel
Ranked #12 of 504 Hotels in Seoul
Reviewed 30 January 2012

This was recommended by a friend, and as soon as we got there we could see why. The location is perfect. Right next to a subway station, in the heart of the Myungdong market with tons of shopping and dining around, only a couple blocks from City Hall and an easy walk to the main palaces.

Hotel was small but pleasant. The room wasn't huge, but had space for two to move around in and the bathroom was a good size with a spacious shower -- something small-sized places often skimp on. And of course everything was very, very clean.

My only complaint was that the breakfast buffet (included in the rate) wasn't very big at all -- usually only one western and one Asian option plus toast and cereal. But since it's surrounded by Dunkin Donuts and other coffee shops, low-cost alternatives abound.

Would definitely stay here again on vacation, although next time we may look at a place closer to Itaewon solely to try out staying in a different neighborhood.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JinHK

Reviewed 24 January 2012

Home to us for 7 nights in Seoul.. it's the perfect place for us to explore Seoul on our own for my family of 2 adults and 2 kids (aged 7 and 4 years old) after Jeju-do.

Superb location, close to the subway Euljiro (1)-ga Station, Exit 5 and 6, turn right at the corner (Smoothie King) in front of the hotel, walk straight, past by a statues and Euljiro (1)-ga Station is just right there, <5 min walk. We purchased the T-money cards from a 7-11 stores and we travelled mostly by the subway as most attractions such as the COEX Aquarium, LotteWorld theme park, Dongdaemum Market, Gyeongbokgung Palacca, Insadong are easily accessible via the subway.

Or you can walk 10-15 mins walk past shops towards Myeongdong Station at the other end. Walk straight from the hotel for about 150 meters, to Myeongdong Station.

Besides being close to the subway, the hotel is also right in the middle of tons of shoppings like cosmetic, apparels, shoes, accessories, street stalls and restaurants serving snacks and delicacies (korean, MacDonald, KFC , TGIF, Starbuck, donuts and many more etc). Endless choices of food and snacks. Do not worry about ordering of food, most of the eating places have menus in pictures.. we just pointed to the menus what we wanted. Some of the staff even communicate in Chinese and make our ordering of food easier.

We took bus 6001 from Gimpo Domestic Airport after Jeju-do. Go to Gate 8, Station 4, purchase the bus tickets from the counter and wait outside. The bus has large storage compartments for luggage and the porter is available to assist you. The bus is big and comfortable and it takes about 40min -60 min , traffic dependent to reach Myeongdong. Announcement is made at every stop in Korean and English.

The bus stops in front of the Ibis Hotel (Hana Bank Building). Once alight and collect your luggage, go left on the pavement and turn right after next building, KB Bank. You see a small road which resembles an alley. Do not hesitate, continue walking until you see Smoothie King and Metro Hotel is just right there..

Our is the deluxe room with 2 double beds.. thought I found the size small, it is comfortable, clean and cozy... Amenities include hairdryer, safe, fridge, coffee making facilities, bath robes, slippers, comfy beds, LCD TV, toiletries, bath and towels.

Free wifi and cable internet are availabe in room and 2 computers are available at reception lounge for use.

Complimentary breakfast provided at the Club House on the 9th floor.
Breads, juice, coffee, boiled eggs, yogurt, cereals, soup and fruits etc. The hotel is making an effort to add varieties to the spread each day.

Another plus factor is the coin laundry room on 7th level - 2000 won to wash, 2000 won to dry and 500 won for detergent - open from 8am - 10pm. It comes in very handy for us as we only packed 5 days worth of clothing for the 11 day here.

Strategically located to Namdaemun Market and Namsangol Hanok Village,we managed to walk to these 2 places with 2 kiddos and a stroller in the cold weather.

On the second day, we brought the kids to Everland theme park. I opted for the easiest way using the shuttle service provided by a tour agency. Asked the hotel staff to call the agency to reserve the seats on our behalf. The cheapest but the most tedious way is by taking subway and then transfer to a public bus which takes about 2 hr travelling time to the park one way.

The bus departed from Korean Press Center near City Hall Station at 9:30am and cost 10,000 won per person for 2 way trip.The bus goes directly to Everland and it picks us up at 6pm from the park. Noted that the bus will stop at a bus terminal at Everland and you have to transfer to a shuttle bus which takes you to the entrance of the park. Printed the coupons at the website to enjoy discounts off the park tickets.

We also watched the recommended NATA Cooking show here as the theatre is close to Metro Hotel..

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
17  Thank sillypie
Reviewed 23 January 2012

Stayed at Metro hotel short after new year with my sister and her daughter for shopping trip. Loved the location, helpful staff, and Breakfast dumpling!
The only thing I did not agree was that all linen smelled of bleach. Also towels provided were quite worn. I do hope this to be improved, as it is such a lovely hotel!

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 11 January 2012

I couldn't love the location more. You can get there easily from the airport via the airport bus. Plenty of shops and restaurants around the hotel. I love the chain bakery, Paris Baquette which is nearby as well. We even took a very enjoyable walk to Insadong.

I stayed at Double B which is supposed to be slight larger than Double A. The room size is alright but the queen bed seems to be smaller than the normal queen bed, which is the case when I visited all other parts of Korea. Do ask for twin beds if you are travelling as a couple and are used to sleeping on King size bed at home.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 January 2012

I stayed in the Metro Hotel with my two young children in July of this year during a long haul stopover (North America to Australia). We arrived shortly after the bad floods but the team were not flustered - it was business as usual. The breakfast was absolutely fine, and in fact I have developed a love for their savoury rice porridge (like Chinese congee, but with a Korean name). The room is comfortable and clean and extremely good value. The location is incredibly central, sooo near the subway and hundreds of eateries. I was extra impressed by the staff (especially the lovely Sky....). With two children and multiple bags, I was a bit worried about getting to the airport bus stop - only 5 mins walk but a bit difficult for two hands to manage two children and 5 pieces of luggage. TWO staff members helped me carry the luggage to the bus stop and actually WAITED to flag down the bus and put the luggage on. I was so incredibly grateful for their care and consideration, I nearly cried. I'm not a regular visitor to Seoul but if I was I'd be staying here every time. I like the fact that is a small hotel, not a big chain, and the staff seem to be really pleased to work there.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family