“Huge rooms, great location”

Oakwood Premier Coex Center
Ranked #2 of 505 Hotels in Seoul
Reviewed 25 August 2011

We chose the Oakwood Premier Coex when we couldn't get availability at another hotel we considered. I'm so glad we ended up in this one!

The rooms are HUGE. Crazy huge. Mine had a giant bedroom, big bathroom (with separate tub and shower/ steam room), huge living room, little dining area, half bath, full kitchen, long entry hall. They're nicely decorated and very homey. I also LOVED having a washing/ dryer in my room. So handy.

The gym is absolutely fantastic. It's a very posh fitness club that other in people in Seoul pay memberships for. Loved the pool, hot tub, showers, etc. It felt like a spa!

The service at the hotel was extremely friendly and efficient. Not knowing any Korean, they were super helpful in writing phrases and requests on paper for me to hand to taxi drivers, etc.

The thing I loved the most about this hotel, though, is the location. In my mind, it was absolutely ideal. Within blocks are countless incredible restaurants... Little places with amazing Korean BBQ, incredible sushi, a cafe with free internet and delicious Western sandwiches, etc (if you need a break from Asian faire). Within a mile-or-so walk is a gorgeous park with rolling hills, old royal tombs, beautiful tree groves, and a great exercise path. Underneath the hotel is the largest underground mall in Asia. Almost any store you can imagine is down there. And finally, down the street is the most beautiful Buddhist temple complex and monastery. It still functions, and you can go watch/ participate in the monks chanting, etc. It was my very favorite thing in Seoul. I could have spent a whole day there observing and exploring!

If I return to Seoul, I'll definitely be staying at the Oakwood. It's on the pricey side, but so worth it for what you get and the location!

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled on business
AliceSeoul, 세일즈 디렉터 at Oakwood Premier Coex Center, responded to this reviewResponded 25 October 2011

Thank you for your review and great comments about us. Our hotel is connected to Coex Mall which is the most lagest Mall in Seoul. And there are theatre, aquarium, shopping center, food courts, duty free shop.. etc. I think these things were very important to your trip during you stay at our hote. Is that right? We are very happy you enjoyed time at our hotel. We hope that you will continue to enjoy your stay with us and if we can do anything to make it even better, don’t hesitate to personally contact me.

Reviewed 17 August 2011

We had two families travelling together (4 adults and 3 children ages 6, 3, 1 1/2) and had two rooms. This is a really NICE place to stay. It is much larger than the typical Korean hotels. More Western size. The bathrooms were huge comparatively, with a shower and bath in one. The humidity in the room was well controlled--my clothes dried overnight hanging. It has a full size kitchen and fridge with stove, rice cooker, microwave. It also came with all the utensils, cups, dishes, name it, they provided it. The room had its own washer and dryer (beware, it takes forever to wash and dry your clothes). The staff was very professional, and spoke very good English. They helped you if you needed help. BUT there was no free internet in the room, and you had to go to the lobby to get wireless internet. For a place this expensive, you would think it would be free in the room. This place is expensive (I think we paid 250/night). But the location was great. If you take the elevators down, you can get to the COEX mall. The COEX mall has just about everything (food, shopping, movie theater, entertainment, etc). The subway is easily accessible too. One of the plus side is that the the airport terminal is located there too. I was travelling internationally so I just checked in my bags here and then hopped on a limosine bus to Incheon when I was ready to depart. No need to drag heavy bags to the airport. My husband and brother-in-law took advantage of the golf range upstairs somewhere--apparently you have to switch elevators to get there--which they really liked. I can't recall if there is a pool, but if so, it is not for children. I thought that the bed and pillow was way too soft. The television didn't have too many channels.

I would consider staying here again, but it was expensive. The amenities were definitely a plus and if you want a more western style hotel, this is it! However, if affordability is an issue, then other places may suit your needs. Although the full size kitchen and microwave was a big plus for our family, we really used it only for breakfast and ate out the other times. We didn't really use it. We stayed here mid-stay of our 3 week vacation so the washer and dryer was good.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
AliceSeoul, Sales Coordinator at Oakwood Premier Coex Center, responded to this reviewResponded 14 March 2012

Thank you for your review and great comments about us. We hope that you will continue to enjoy your stay with us and if we can do anything to make it even better, don’t hesitate to personally contact me.

Reviewed 29 July 2011

I lived at the Oakwood Premier on and off for a year and a half, in that time it started to feel like home. Our apartment had great views of Seoul, all the facilities you need, and are serviced to an impeccable standard every day. What made this place so special for me was the staff, always smiling, polite and they can't do enough to help you with anything you may need. The main restaurant is really good too, although I had less good experience with their Italian bistro restaurant on the ground floor. That doesn't matter though really as there's always an enormous choice of places to eat anywhere you go in Seoul. They have a good gym and spa also, well worth going to even though it's a bit of a convoluted journey to get there! I loved my time here, really miss Seoul and the Oakwood, and can't wait to go back again!

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled on business
AliceSeoul, Sales Coordinator at Oakwood Premier Coex Center, responded to this reviewResponded 8 March 2012

Reviewed 28 March 2011

Great Location, Very Good apartments and great amentias, some minor issues.
We checked into Oakwood’s after about a week of traveling and just wanted to feel a bit “like home”, we were definitely overwhelmed by the quality and size of the apartment. We were 3 people in a 2 bedroom apartment which was more than sufficient. The APT was very well equipped with dishes and electronics. The gym & Spa are among the best I have seen on the road and are in the building (odd location next to a smelly casino!).
Staff was helpful.
Some small things, we were promised free breakfast and eventually had to “haggle” with the staff to get it for one person. They charged us 50 cent per printed page (ridiculous for a $400/ night hotel) and the breakfast buffet is nice but nothing special.
All in all it’s a great “home away from home” but they should be a bit less stingy.

Stayed: March 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank JackieMoon80

Reviewed 13 November 2010

It was our first time in S. Korea and planned on staying mostly within Seoul. We planned to have a free and easy tour -- a mixture of sightseeing, food tripping and a bit of shopping -- and wanted a spacious and fully-equipped accommodation suitable for the family. I must say that Oakwood Premier Coex Center did not disappoint.

Location: The location is top notch! Oakwood is connected to the COEX mall and Hyundai Department Store. We weren't able to explore much of the malls because there was so much to do around Seoul and so little time. Hyundai has a supermarket and a both have a huge food court so you can buy your food here and eat it in your room. Very convenient. You can also do some shopping here, especially if you're into brands and designer goods. Otherwise, Myeong-dong is a great (cheaper) alternative.

Apartment: We stayed for around six nights in a 3BR-2TB-1T apartment at the 27th floor.
Spacious, clean and fully-equipped. Kitchenette has a full-sized refrigerator/freezer, four burners, dishwasher/dryer, microwave oven. There is also a washing machine/dryer/iron which can come in very handy. Living room has a very cool LG flat-screen TV and Samsung Home Theater System. (Tip: You can borrow DVD movies in the Business Center for free.) The dining table seats seven people. There is also a sort of balcony, but we never used it much. Good view, though.

Bedrooms/bath: Standard-sized rooms, but quite comfortable. Master bath has a steam area, bathtub/shower (with rainshower head, very cool) and those high-tech water closets that I thought only exist in Japan. The other water closets are the standard ones, but that's not really a problem.

Service: Their sincerity and eagerness of the housekeeping to serve sometimes make up for the lack of efficiency, that it is difficult to berate them about it. In any case, these small nuances are forgivable, especially since we came at a very busy time (G20 Summit) and I assumed that the hotel was quite full. Front desk staff was mixed, as the previous reviewer mentioned. Others go out of their way to meet your requests, while others are just so-so. Overall, I'd rate the service a 4 out of 5.

Restaurants: We've eaten at the Viking Buffet and at the Lounge (for breakfast). The food was alright -- nothing to write home about, but the staff were very nice so that's a plus. There are so many places to eat outside the hotel, even in the malls. I think you'll get more and cheaper selections there.

Others: If there's one thing I'd gripe about (although not really) is the lack of FREE wi-fi/internet access in rooms. The charges are pretty steep, so I passed. Good thing I had a laptop with me. In such cases, you can use the wi-fi in the lounge for free.

Tips: Go to Insa-dong for their Kkultarae -- a Korean court cake made out of honey and malt. They make a show out of making it, too, which is quite entertaining to watch. For coupon cutters, check out the S. Korea tourism website where you can get some cool offers. I got pretty good discounts to Lotte World and Everland with those. Also, Asiana Airlines' "Magic Boarding Pass" entitles you to some discounts to establishments (banks, duty free, etc.), I believe. I wasn't able to use mine, but it might be worth checking out.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled with family