“Beyond The Call of Duty”

Sheraton Seoul D Cube City Hotel
Ranked #27 of 472 Hotels in Seoul
Manila, Philippines
“Beyond The Call of Duty”
Reviewed 15 February 2012

I was very unhappy with the taxi firm that overcharged me US$135 for the trip to the Sheraton from the airport. I mentioned this to "Lucy" when checking in and she took it upon herself to contact the cab company, have the taxi charge cancelled and rebilled the correct fare to my room at 1/2 the price !

This is my 3rd stay at this new Sheraton location and each time I have been greeted by the General Manager and feel very welcome.

This is what service is all about. Thank You Sheraton Seoul D Cube City

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
David C, General Manager at Sheraton Seoul D Cube City Hotel, responded to this review, 15 February 2012
Hello TerryNTown,

Thank you very much for your recent stay with us at Sheraton Seoul D Cube City Hotel, and taking the time to provide us with your valuable feedback on TripAdvisor!

I was most pleased to read that our Club Lounge associate Lucy was able to assist you with the taxi fare issue you have experienced. All our Sheraton Seoul D Cube City associates will continually work towards exceeding guest’s expectations by providing the most warm and caring service.

If you are planning another trip to Seoul in the future, please do not hesitate to contact me directly and I will personally look after your stay.

Once again, thank you for your wonderful comments, which is most appreciated.

David

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (165)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 4 February 2012

I just wanted to post this letter to management that I wrote to the Sheraton- so that Tripadvisor readers can understand the reasons for my writing that this hotel is the best in Korea hands down:

Thanks for instilling a “can do” attitude in your employees. This is such a refreshing change from hearing excuses left and right about why a certain thing can’t be done or why the request can’t be granted when I visit Korea. I haven’t heard a single “no” in my two visits at the hotel.

Also, thanks for instilling a sense of ownership by the employees with respect to caring about guests. Most (if not all) Korean hotels have employees sliding responsibility for certain things to other people- or justifying why something isn’t their responsibility. It is clear that these guys learn from their superiors about shirking and ducking responsibility.

Finally, thnx for getting rid of the haughty attitude you receive when you visit Korean hotels. You would think that the receptionist at the front desk is the son or daughter of the owner of the hotel. Just ridiculous about having to spend money and then trying to get on the good graces of the staff- when did this happen? If I am paying money to stay somewhere, then I better be treated like a guest. It shouldn’t be the other way around.

I really feel welcome here- and I am much more willing to stay where I am welcome than staying somewhere that doesn’t appreciate my business.

Now a couple of important things that I would like to point out (episodes, if you will):

-I requested a humidifier the first time I arrived, and like magic a new humidifier arrived with no fuss. No excuse as to why they weren’t available, nothing of that nature. Also, the delivery was very quick.

-I requested a humidifier to be plugged in the second time I used your hotel- and after I checked in and arrived at my room. The humidifier was there and had already made the room comfortable. This means people actually listen to requests, which is absolutely outstanding.

-I remember that our sink didn’t drain properly- and even though it was 11 pm @ night on Sunday, the engineer diligently arrived and proceeded to fix the problem. Once again, I have to say that the response time was absolutely superb and the level of service exemplary.

-we occasionally have mail/packages delivered here- it is always waiting for us when we check in and the front desk is very conscientious about getting our mail/packages to us as soon as we check in or whenever it arrives.

However, what I am most impressed with is the attendants on the first floor. They are probably the best trained of the people at the hotel. One of my most irritating moments (and major pet peeve) is when the doorman tells me that there are no regular taxis (just black taxis). Now, if that were true, that would be fine. However, more often than not, especially at the five star hotels, the doorman just has to walk maybe 50 feet and hail a taxi at the driveway/entrance to the hotel. Most doormen told you to go to the street to hail the cab yourself. That really pissed me off- because I am not sure why they are there- and whether the purpose of them being there is just to look ugly.

At your hotel, despite the fact that you are located at the back of the building, the doormen make an extra effort to hail cabs (and despite the location handicap, they really come through (at least most of the time)).

At your hotel, the staff is proactive (and hopefully it will stay this way) in trying to get a regular taxi and if there isn’t one always willing to call one for you. One episode that I would like to reiterate is that one time when my wife and I arrived at the hotel late at night, the doorman was courteous enough to usher my wife inside and to take her to a place where it would be warmer. I think that this type of service really deserves recognition. I only hope that this type of service at the attendant level (on the first floor) continues. I know that this may be an afterthought, but the first impression or the first person that you meet at a hotel sort of dictates how this will carry over when meeting other employees. I think that this is something that has been forgotten in Korea.

In any event, I certainly hope that this trend continues and that this high level of service is consistent throughout my future stays here.

NOTE TO READERS: I note that the hotel is in a redeveloping area, but the subway station and taxis are plentiful However, the service is beyond reproach and is completely worth it. The facilities are first rate and the service is even better. If Trip advisor deems another Korean hotel as a better hotel, then something is wrong with this website.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
David C, General Manager at Sheraton Seoul D Cube City Hotel, responded to this review, 6 February 2012
Dear skanklor1,

I am delighted to hear we made such an impression on you following your recent visit to the Sheraton. It is always a pleasure to read such detailed and kind comments regarding our associates and services! We are most pleased to hear that our associates, especially our bell attendants at the entrance foyer, provided you with a friendly and helpful service. Your precious comments has been passed onto our entire team members..
Sheraton Seoul D Cube City Hotel strives to achieve the highest level of quality services and experiences and will continually work towards providing exceptional experiences to all of our guests.

Once again, thank you for your wonderful feedback, and should you travels bring you back to Seoul, please do not hesitate to contact me directly and personally take care of your stay.

Reviewed 3 February 2012

I have stayed in Sheraton D Cube City as part of my business trip to Seoul. I have picked this hotel over other SPG hotels as it was near my meeting place.
First of all, it was nightmare checking in to this hotel. Staff as the bell desk on B1 and first floor both were on phone avoiding my question of where i can check in though they seem to be having conversation for their private matter.
There was no single sign saying that I should go to level 41 and i should be using specific elevator to reach there.
Rooms are very new and large for the price though somewhat noisy with subway passing by.
Room services were good though with plenty of menu.
Finally, they have double charged my room fees until I had to point out and go through cancellation process.
Overall, it is well built hotel but I won't be visiting there again for a while until staff get some experience.

• Stayed February 2012
David C, General Manager at Sheraton Seoul D Cube City Hotel, responded to this review, 7 February 2012
Hello Dr_Kwon,

Warm greetings from Sheraton Seoul D Cube City Hotel.

Thank you very much for your valuable feedback you have posted on TripAdvisor on the 3rd of February 2012.

First of all, please accept our most sincere apologies for the inconveniences you have experienced during your stay. We have duly noted your comments in regards to the check-in and check-out experience, and the noise from the nearby subway. It seems that we did not do the best job in the arrival experience and explaining the location of the Hotel’s lobby on the 41st floor.
I have addressed your feedback regarding the service at the Bell Desk with our Concierge Manager and be rest assured that we will endeavor to improve in this area. Your experience certainly felt short of the high standards we strive to achieve.

As for the comments regarding the noise issue, we are currently undertaking a double glazing project to minimize the level of outside noise into our guestrooms.

I do appreciate your comment regarding our extensive room service menu. Our executive chef Gunnar and his culinary team really to go out of their way to ensure a great F&B experience for all of our guests.

If your travels bring you back to Seoul, please contact me directly and I will personally take care of you.

Newport Beach
Reviewed 2 February 2012

Great hotel all around ...
Free pool and exercise facility but that's about it. No other "freebies".

Internet is more than $20 for 24 hours. That was the most frustrating part. However great computers and internet at their business center.

AMAZING all around view of the city from your room and from the restaurant, business city, lobby, etc.

Small but decent selection of English TV channels.

Very nice that it is almost RIGHT ABOVE the Shindorim Subway stop. Mall with great food court at the basement level ... McDonalds, Starbucks, Taco Bell, and then many other restaurants below the hotel.

They will clean your room even though you request them not to.

Locations being far from downtown was not that big of a deal for me ... everything is relatively close with their subway system. Shindorim subway stop is a part of LINE 2 and LINE 1 which run through the heart of the city.

Overall, great place ...

• Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
David C, General Manager at Sheraton Seoul D Cube City Hotel, responded to this review, 5 February 2012
Hello stjustin61,

Greetings from Seoul, Korea!

Thank you very much for your kind feedback which is most appreciated. As you have mentioned, we are ideally located in South West of Seoul, and directly connected to Sindorim Subway Station. As we are part of the D Cube City complex, you can also enjoy the D Cube Department Store, Art Center and the D Cube Park for nonstop entertainment.

We are pleased to hear that you have enjoyed your stay with us and we have duly noted your comments regarding our Internet prices. We will consider your feedback during our next price review. I am happy to advise that we continually benchmark with other hotels in the city to ensure that our Hotels always remains competitive. The Sheraton Seoul D Cube City Hotel team members will continually work towards providing warm and caring service and exceeding your expectations.

Once again, thank you very much for your valuable feedback, and if your travel plans bring you back to Seoul do contact me directly so that I may personally look after your stay.

Taipei, Taiwan
Reviewed 2 February 2012

The minute we stepped off from the airport shuttle, the bell man was standing there ready to help us with luggages, walked us to the elevator, and set the elevator to 41st floor, where the lobby is located. The front desk staff were very pleasant and welcoming.
Since Sheraton is a 5-star hotel, needless to say, the place is first class. But having stayed in different hotels of the same chain for both leisure and business, I find myself fond of Sheraton D Cube very much. I think it's an excellent design that the lobby is located on the Top floor of the hotel premises; the higher the room class, the higher the floor, the shorter the wait in the elevator.
The room was very cosy. And I loved how the layout of the bathroom. Also, the big glass wall by the bath tub made it possible to watch tv while enjoying a hot bath after return from a day of touring in the cold. The house keeping was excellent as expected. But what was even better was that our room slippers were lined up in the entrance of the room at the edge of the carpet everyday when we came back to the room. This little touch created a sense of coming home.
Even though the location of D Cube is not in the city center, the fact that it is right above a subway station totally makes up for it. We were happily shopping away knowing that there was only a 3-minute walk from the station to our room.
Prior to my arrival, I had expressed on tripadvisor some concerns I had regarding my stay and the service provided. But it turned out it was a misunderstanding and that it was the central Sheraton customer service over e-mail that I was not happy with, not that of D Cube as when I e-mail the hotel directly, I got a response right away. When i arrived at the hotel, I was surprised that the assistant of GM came to meet me at check-in and addressed my concerns. Even though the GM and I weren't able to meet in person due to my trip schedule, he did manage to call me in the room to make sure that my stay was as comfortable as it should be.
All and all, i must say, excellent excellent excellent hotel with great service. This will be my number one choice of hotel for my future visits to Seoul for sure!

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
Hello JacChen,

Warm greetings from Sheraton Seoul D Cube City Hotel.

Thank you very much for your valuable feedback, and it was a pleasure speaking to you during your stay with us.

We are most pleased to hear that you have enjoyed your stay, and that you found our associates pleasant and welcoming.

Sheraton Seoul D Cube City Hotel strives to maximize guest satisfaction and will continually work towards providing excellent experiences to all of our guests.

Should your travels bring you back to Seoul, please do not hesitate to contact me directly and personally take care of your stay.

Thank you very much again for your feedback!.