This was our first trip to Vanuatu, and it certainly won't be our last. From the minute we stepped off the plane, until we hugged our goodbyes, we could not have felt more welcome or more relaxed.
Erakor Island's best asset is undoubtably the amazing staff working there. Nothing is too much of problem, they are eager to help with anything, and I have never met friendlier people in my life. By the time we left, it felt like we were saying goodbye to friends. So here is a shout-out to some of the wonderful new friends we made on the island- Kevin "Perfectly Perfect", Willy, Mattius, Donald, Annie, Lita, Blanca, Peter, Lydia, Nicky, Aaron , Nixon and everyone else we met.
Erakor Island Resort is in the middle of a gorgeous lagoon, a quick ferry ride from the mainland. The ferry is operating at all hours, and we used it to go into town almost every day. There are taxis or buses at the jetty all the time. Taxis cost 700 VATU and buses 150 VATU per person to take you anywhere in Port Vila.
The resort has a small beach with plenty of sun-lounges and umbrellas. You can order food and drinks to your beach-chair if you like, though the restaurant is close by. All of the rooms are waterfront, so you can spend the day lounging on your balcony or reading in a hammock. However I found that it was easiest to swim from the main beach. There is a lot of coral and a plethora of starfish in the lagoon, so reef shoes come in handy.
Our room was simple, but lovely, and was very clean. It had a queen-size bed with mosquito-netting canopy, and a large daybed, plus barfridge and tea-making essentials. The bathroom was slightly tired (as they can get in the tropics), but was large and clean and very comfortable. No phone and no tv- this was no problem at all. I had an important phonecall come in while we were staying there, and they sent someone to get me so I could take the call at Reception. There is no aircon, but the ceiling fan was all we needed at this time of year.
The Spa was great, my favourite was the 90 minute hot stone massage- pure bliss!
While you are in Vanuatu, make sure you go to the Cascades, the famous waterfalls. It was one of the highlights of the trip for us. Take reef shoes (for walking on stones) and your swimmers. If we knew how fantastic it was to swim in the cascades, we would have opted for one of the tours that allowed longer time for swimming at the end.
We ate at the resort's Aqua Restaurant many evenings, but can also recommend Chill and Mangoes in Port Vila.
We had such a wonderful holiday at Erakor Island, and we will be back again next year. Thankyou so much to everyone at the Resort for making our stay magical.
Noelle and Murray Thompson xx
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Erakor Island Resort is a beautiful unspoiled island paradise, situated in crystal clear waters on its own private 16 acre island surrounded by white sandy beaches. All bungalows are waterfront with the lagoon just steps away from your private veranda. Enjoy the beauty of staying on a quiet tropical island with easy access to everything off the island, Erakor offers all the facilities of a major resort, but in a relaxed and secluded atmosphere. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, 5viajes2012 S.L. and HotelQuickly so you can book your Erakor Island Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Erakor Island Resort And Spa
- Erakor Island Hotel Port Vila
- Erakor Island Resort & Spa Vanuatu/Port Vila