“Food with a View”

Price range: US$9 - US$26
Cuisines: Seafood, International
Good for: View
Dining options: After-hours, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Elan is a unique dining experience in Vanuatu. A restaurant purpose built by the owners to offer elegant island style dining. The restaurant is situated on the beach overlooking beautiful aqua waters and enjoys the best sunsets in Port Vila. Elans fresh and authentic menus are inspired by the classics - French, Italian, Asian, Mediterranean and the flavors' of the Pacific. We pride ourselves on sourcing as much of the freshest locally grown produce as possible, including we believe and our customers agree the best free range grass fed beef in the world. Elan was chosen to host the only Royal Dinner for HRH Princess Anne's visit to Vanuatu in October 2014. Open: 5pm Wednesday to Saturdays.
Reviewed 15 March 2015

I found restaurants in Vanuatu overall to be pricey. Elan was actually a bit cheaper than the waterfront Grill in port villa for example AND it had a way better view and the food was better. I had a lovely fish dish cooked in a banana leaf and a lime cheesecake. Delicious. And you really can't beat the front table view with the sun setting. I would say it's worth it to escape the main strip and head over here!

1  Thank jeanne1307

Reviewed 10 March 2015

After reading reviews on Trip Advisor went to this restaurant expecting great things. Lovely staff and view. Overpriced (as everything in Vanuatu is) and food was very ordinary, my local prawns I could not even eat. I suspect they were frozen. Ate several times at lesser expense and had nicer food. Also is out of town so cost of Taxi to and from has to be factored in. Not worth the effort.

3  Thank 65Greaves
Elan R, Owner at Elan, responded to this reviewResponded 11 March 2015

In response to your review:
Your review is very suspicious!! Firstly our prices are very average for Vanuatu. Produce is expensive here and we know we offer good value for money. We only serve the best local Teoma Prawns which are delivered each week and NEVER FROZEN!! If you had felt there was something wrong with your meal I am very surprised you did not mention this...also I always check if something is not eaten that everything is alright with the diner, I do not recall a meal of prawns being left ever!!!
We are only 5-10 minutes from town and most taxi drivers will charge between 500-1000 Vatu depending on what time of day it is, less for a bus. We always offer to organise a bus or taxi on the return journey. If your taxi driver charged more than this he overcharged you. (You do need to negotiate with them). We are a restaurant and do not have any jurisdiction over the bus and taxi prices.
The top restaurants in Port Vila are all further out of town then elan, so next time you should negotiate your taxi or stay in town.

Reviewed 8 March 2015 via mobile

This is one of the most beautiful spots I have eaten, literally right on the water. The restaurant is modern with a stunning menu and wine list to match. I loved the paella it was beautiful and I highly recommend it. A must visit when in Port Vila, make sure you get there to watch the sun set!

1  Thank atiecon89
Reviewed 3 March 2015

The Elan is a short ride (about 8 minutes) out of town and set on the water's edge. Gorgeous views and lovely, peaceful environment. Joined a group for dinner, the appetisers and dessert were lovely. We missed out on the lobster, but I had the fish with a delightful pinot noir. A great spot with a business cocktail/dinner or even an intimate event.

1  Thank WanderingTraveller79
Reviewed 1 March 2015

We found this restaurant to be one of our favourites in Port Vila. We live in Noosa and eat out regularly so are quite fussy and have high expectations. The food was exceptional, location beautiful and both staff and managers so friendly and welcoming.

We sat outside and watched the magnificent sunset whilst enjoying a pre-dinner drink. My partner had the duck pancakes as a main meal and I had the lobster stack. I was very hesitant as it sounded a little strange with lasagne sheets and I think from memory a Japanese sauce. However I decided to try it and the flavours were amazing. I wish I could remember what the sauce was as it truly was delicious.

I hadn’t been feeling well the entire time I was in Vanuatu but made the effort to go out for dinner anyway. Unfortunately I deteriorated during the meal so we had to leave early. The staff were so concerned and helpful and went out of their way to make sure I felt comfortable. They made numerous calls to secure a driver to take us back to our resort. I would definitely go back to this restaurant again as felt both the food and service was of a very high standard and was just sorry we had to cut the evening short.

1  Thank Wen2go