“Stunning food and location ”
Review of Elan - CLOSED

Elan
Price range: US$9 - US$26
Cuisines: Seafood, International
Good for: View
Dining options: After-hours, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Elan is a unique dining experience in Vanuatu. A restaurant purpose built by the owners to offer elegant island style dining. The restaurant is situated on the beach overlooking beautiful aqua waters and enjoys the best sunsets in Port Vila. Elans fresh and authentic menus are inspired by the classics - French, Italian, Asian, Mediterranean and the flavors' of the Pacific. We pride ourselves on sourcing as much of the freshest locally grown produce as possible, including we believe and our customers agree the best free range grass fed beef in the world. Elan was chosen to host the only Royal Dinner for HRH Princess Anne's visit to Vanuatu in October 2014. Open: 5pm Wednesday to Saturdays.
Reviewed 8 March 2015 via mobile

This is one of the most beautiful spots I have eaten, literally right on the water. The restaurant is modern with a stunning menu and wine list to match. I loved the paella it was beautiful and I highly recommend it. A must visit when in Port Vila, make sure you get there to watch the sun set!

1  Thank atiecon89

Reviewed 3 March 2015

The Elan is a short ride (about 8 minutes) out of town and set on the water's edge. Gorgeous views and lovely, peaceful environment. Joined a group for dinner, the appetisers and dessert were lovely. We missed out on the lobster, but I had the fish with a delightful pinot noir. A great spot with a business cocktail/dinner or even an intimate event.

1  Thank WanderingTraveller79
Reviewed 1 March 2015

We found this restaurant to be one of our favourites in Port Vila. We live in Noosa and eat out regularly so are quite fussy and have high expectations. The food was exceptional, location beautiful and both staff and managers so friendly and welcoming.

We sat outside and watched the magnificent sunset whilst enjoying a pre-dinner drink. My partner had the duck pancakes as a main meal and I had the lobster stack. I was very hesitant as it sounded a little strange with lasagne sheets and I think from memory a Japanese sauce. However I decided to try it and the flavours were amazing. I wish I could remember what the sauce was as it truly was delicious.

I hadn’t been feeling well the entire time I was in Vanuatu but made the effort to go out for dinner anyway. Unfortunately I deteriorated during the meal so we had to leave early. The staff were so concerned and helpful and went out of their way to make sure I felt comfortable. They made numerous calls to secure a driver to take us back to our resort. I would definitely go back to this restaurant again as felt both the food and service was of a very high standard and was just sorry we had to cut the evening short.

1  Thank Wen2go
Reviewed 27 February 2015

We went here for dinner one night with high expectations, fantastic spot with beautiful views, fantastic local staff who were well presented, friendly, polite, helpful and very efficient. Our entrees were fabulous as with all restaurants but our mains just lacked wow factor.
I was sorely let down, I ordered Seafood Paella and was very much looking forward to this but when it arrived I had what looked like seafood in stewed tomatoes with steamed rice on the side, this is not Paella and management should research this, my husband ordered the fish in banana leaf, he was also disappointed as he said it was lacking flavour. Not cheap prices so our expectations were high

Elan R, Owner at Elan, responded to this reviewResponded 28 February 2015

In response to your review:
I am sorry to hear you did not enjoy your main meals. The Seafood Paella is EXACTLY how it is described on the menu. It is made with as much local seafood as we can source, cooked with fresh cherry tomatoes, garlic, onions and dash of chilli. We serve the rice and baguette on the side to give diners the choice of how they wish to enjoy the dish. It clearly states once again it is ‘elans’ version of a Seafood Paella . There are other restaurants in Australia such as the famous ‘Doyles’ who also do a similar dish to this with the same name. I do not think we all need to research this! Once again it does clearly state it is ‘seafood’ not a Spanish Paella with chorizo sausage etc.
The Poulet fish cooked in banana leaves and is another very popular dish. I am very surprised this was considered to be lacking in flavour as it is cooked with coconut cream, ginger, lemon grass coriander and chilli.
Our prices are very average for Vanuatu. Paying 2700 vatu ($32 AUD) for a large fillet of fresh fish cooked and served with paw paw salsa and garden salad is not expensive for Port Vila.
We also believe our menu offers a wide range of dishes, something to suite everyone. We continually have guests every week who tell us how great our menu is and how many dishes they would like to try.

Reviewed 18 February 2015

We returned home 9 days ago. The food at Elan was amazing. We had the lobster stack and peking duck rolls and a bottle of Sav Blanc to enjoy with the food, I cannot understand how this restaurant could possibly receive negative reviews. We had a beautifully positioned table overlooking the ocean for 2 people, watched the sun go down and found the service to be excellent.
This would be one of our favourites and we would return again when visiting Vanuatu. We would recommend eating at Elan without question as the food was terrific.

1  Thank not2nosy