“Perfect location, friendly staff, clean and comfortable room”
Review of Hotel de la Opera

Hotel de la Opera
Ranked #30 of 267 Hotels in Bogota
Reviewed 20 April 2017

We stayed at Hotel de la Opera for 4 nights in March. We arrived in Bogota late at night, so we arranged an airport pickup with the hotel. The driver met us promptly right outside the immigration/baggage area. The drive to the hotel took about 20 minutes. Check-in was fast with a friendly receptionist.

Our room was 714 on the top floor with great views of the Cathedral. The room was clean, quiet and big with a comfortable bed and sitting area. The bathroom size was good with hot/cold water working well. The bath towels provided were of excellent quality.

Similar to most hotels we stayed in in Colombia, there was no complimentary bottled water provided in the room. The room did have a minibar with water, beer (about $1.50, rather reasonable) and other drinks. WIFI worked well with adequate speed. The hotel staff were friendly and helpful.

The hotel is centrally located in the old La Candelabra neighborhood, right next door to Teatro Colon and just one block from Plaza de Bolivar and Museo Botero. We walked a lot in La Candelaria and felt very safe during our stay there.

Breakfast was served in the hotel restaurant on the ground floor. It was buffet style with an egg station. The choice of fruit and bread was rather limited. The service was OK when there were few guests, but turned chaotic as soon as more people showed up. Breakfast was not up to par compared to the other hotels in Colombia.

Still, we would stay there again without any hesitation. Perfect location, very friendly staff, clean, comfortable and well-equipped room and bathroom.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms on the 7th floor with cathedral view.
  • Stayed: March 2017, travelled as a couple
ServicioalCliente, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Hotel de la Opera, responded to this reviewResponded 26 April 2017

Dear Hoiman L

Thank you for your review and the opportunity you are giving to us to improve our service at breakfast.

Your comments are worthy for us and encourage our personnel at the Reception and other areas to keep working as we have been doing during these 20 years. For your next stay, usually, I am at breakfast making sure everything is going well, otherwise you can ask for me at the Front Desk and I will help you making better your experience in our Hotel.

Please, consider Hotel de la Opera your home in Bogota.

There are newer reviews for Hotel de la Opera

Reviewed 19 April 2017

Hotel de la Opera is in a great location in the middle of the old town of Candelara in Bogota. The room on the seventh floor was very nice with a great view.

But my three nights there were totally frustrating. Very few of the staff speak English, so in order to get room service, I had to give my order to the receptionist and hope he could convey it correctly to the kitchen. This was my first time in Colombia and I never saw any of the staff smile.

I had a most unpleasant experience at check out. The total amount on the bill was very different to the total amount of signed dockets. When I queried this room service bill for food I never had, the receptionist went away and returned with an unsigned bill. I refused to pay for this unsigned docket and eventually they removed it from the bill.

The whole check out procedure took one hour of arguing and unpleasantness and I nearly missed my flight.

If you decide to stay here, be very careful that you allow an hour to check out and go over your bill extremely carefully.

I would not recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: April 2017, travelled solo

Dear TravelbugVietnam

We appreciate the opportunity you are giving to us to improve our service.

We are glad to see you enjoyed our location and the view of the room from the seventh floor. We would like to apologies for the situation with your account at the checkout, we already take corrective actions with our personnel at the Restaurant and Front Desk, and also, we are recruiting more colleagues with English speaking as we know it is necessary to give an excellent service.

We hope we can see you again in our Hotel to meet your expectations, please, consider Hotel de la Opera your home in Bogota.

Reviewed 9 April 2017

We stayed 4 nights at the Hotel de la Opera, next to the Theatre Colon. We were in room 102, which is a ground floor room, looking out onto the courtyard It was a smallish older room, with no outside windows. It had a TV, small fridge, minibar, telephone, a queen bed, lots of plugs for charging devices, an electronic safe, and extra blankets and pillows. Noise was not a problem for us in this room. We watched the SuperBowl in our room (with only South American advertisements).

We arrived on a Sunday, and had arranged for the hotel to meet us at the airport and provide transportation to the hotel. The taxi cost 55,000 COP (about $20 US). Maybe it was because many streets were closed for bicycles and buses only (on Sunday), or maybe because there was a lengthy wait at the airport for wheelchair employees, but this price was high, as I later learned. On the return trip to the airport, we got a cheaper price.

The hotel is located very near Simon Bolivar plaza, and in fact is right across the street from the window where his mistress pushed him out the window so he wouldn't be killed by the angry mob at the front door! There are 4 museums in the area, along with government buildings, so there are many police and soldiers in the area. The soldiers are guarding the military museum [why?]. The street in that block is closed off, and taxis have to get permission to go into that block. The president's house is 3 blocks away.

The hotel has a restaurant on the 4th floor (where we ate lunch), but the elevator only goes to the 3rd floor. You then have to climb a steep set of winding stairs to get to it. My girlfriend has trouble walking, and breathing problems, so this was quite a challenge. But the lunch was good.

The ground floor room also has several small sets of stairs to negotiate between the street and the room. Because Bogota is around 8600 feet in elevation, and because my girlfriend had a bad cold, breathing and walking were both challenging for her. Going to nearby Monserrate was a real challenge for her at the top of the funicular.

We used the pool and the spa (which had very reasonable prices), along with a stint in the sauna. There is a bar in the pool area, so we ordered a drink while there. There is a gym room in that area, too.

Back at the lobby level, there is a restaurant used for breakfast (with cooked to order eggs), a bar (sometimes staffed, sometimes not), and two computer terminals (one of which didn't work). The restaurant service tended to be spotty. When going for ice at the bar, sometimes the bartender (when he or she appeared) had to go to the kitchen to get it.

Nearby Carrera 7 was fun to walk along, with colorful characters all wanting you to take their picture, along with balloon vendors, musicians, puppeteers, etc. We even saw a military marching band in Simon Bolivar plaza twice.

Some reviewers have said there are no close by restaurants, but we went to one 2 blocks away (slightly uphill) called El Son De Los Grilles, (recommended by the concierge) which had good food and was very romantic. The restaurants don't jump out at you, which might be why people say there are no nearby restaurants. You really have to know where they are.

And please pay attention to the fact Angela Barbosa (the main concierge) responds to every review. She does indeed come around at breakfast to check on how everything is, with all the guests, and she provides a wealth of information when you talk to her about your plans. One of the friendly staff at this hotel.

We would gladly stay here again.

Stayed: February 2017, travelled as a couple
ServicioalCliente, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Hotel de la Opera, responded to this reviewResponded 17 April 2017

Dear Hedo-goer

Thank you very much for the time you spent making this review, I am sure it will help a lot to all our incoming guests.

Usually, our transfer service could cost less cheap due to the shift the driver does from the Hotel to the airport and come back, however, arriving the first time to the city it is very advisable as you do not know how to get a reliable car. Regarding, our restaurant service we are making some changes to improve our service and food.

I am glad to see my recommendations met your expectations; I really hope to see you again in our Hotel.

Please, consider Hotel de la Opera your home in Bogotá.

Reviewed 8 April 2017

We had no idea what to expect other than American Express had recommended this hotel as well as a few others. The position of the hotel was good, right in the centre of town - Canelaria, the old city and near to all the government buildings
The staff have very limited English which doesn't make the best welcome. We were taken to a small very "basic" room, double bed, desk, bathroom, free standing wardrobe and mini fridge sitting on the floor. As a regular traveller I was very upset.
Next morning, I spoke to the concierge, Angela who seemed to be the only person with good english trying to upgrade. The hotel is split in two, a modern side and a traditional Colombian side. The traditional upgrade I was shown was slightly larger but just as basic. She then showed me the more modern room which was a great size with a nice sitting are, perfect for our needs.
The breakfast was very basic with only a few fruit, only sweet cereals, a couple of cooked dishes, simple breads and a few other bits, very disappointing. The spa on the other hand was fabulous with a decent sized pool, jaqussi, sauna and wet room.
I must compliment Angela on her great service. I did ask her if the manager was around and she said he only came in every couple of months. Mr Manager - I really do think you're needed at the hotel, so much could be improved for a better stay.

Room Tip: Upgrade if you can
  • Stayed: March 2017, travelled with family

Dear Sharonfv

It was a real pleasure to meet you and be part of your visit to our city.

I apologies for the impression you had of our rooms, I felt very happy when you found what you want on the room at the seventh floor. Also, I want to confirm you, we are working to improve our breakfast service with more variety. On the other hand, I glad to see you enjoyed our Spa and all its services.

On behalf of our General and Operations Manager I would like to assure that we are very committed with the excellence in our service and we make everything as possible every day to make your stay a great experience so we really hope to see you back soon to demonstrate you.

Please, consider Hotel de la Opera your home in Bogotá.

Reviewed 6 April 2017

Went with my GF for a special occasion. We had a wonderful time. Hotel´s Decor is definitely something else. Totally Recommended. Food is not bad but not great either. We chose of the antique rooms, they also have modern rooms in the higher floors but i suggest going to the old ones

• Stayed: October 2016, travelled as a couple

Dear Nicolas C

We appreciate the time you took to share your experience in our Hotel.

We are glad to see you enjoyed our rooms and the fact you have a preference for the old ones means a lot for us because when you come back we already have your preference.

We hope we can see you back soon, please, consider Hotel de la Opera your home in Bogotá.