See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 23 November 2014

I stayed for a weekend in November, 2014.
First, I'll list the good points: it's very well located, breakfast is adequate and the interior pools are nice.
Now, as for the bad, I have to say that the employees at the reception are the most unhelpful that I have ever seen. Because of a faulty electric installation in the room I was staying at, my cell phone was partially damaged. When I posed this at the reception I was met with cynicism and told that it was probably my charger what caused the damage, even though I had used it without issues for over a year ("things eventually break", they told me) and that they haven't had any similar complaints from previous guests. When I asked what could I do to formally file my complaint, they offered the guest book.
So, if you're looking for an well located, inexpensive hotel in Punta del Este, this is a good enough choice. But don't expect to receive any kind of useful assistance if you happen to experience some sort of issue related to the hotel itself.

• Stayed: November 2014
2  Thank Santiago L
Reviewed 9 April 2014

I spent two nights at this 4 star hotel and was appalled at the total overall appearance. This hotel hasn't met an upgrade in 15 yrs. the two gentlemen at registration were totally unfriendly. The room was tired - from torn drapes, rusted window frames, sheets that didn't fit the bed and a tv hanging from the ceiling at an angle fit for a gymnast. The breakfast was totally inadequate from what we had experienced elsewhere. C'mon invest some pesos and fix it up.

Room Tip: Pick another hotel
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Bill S
Reviewed 2 January 2014

Good hotel, although some details of old which shows that they have not invested in improving it, at least in the last 5 years. Conveniently located just 100 mts away from Av Gorlero and about 8 blocks from downtown. Just one blocks from the "Los Ingleses" beach and two blocks from the pier. It features 2 swimming pools, one large enough outdoor pool and other heated is for use during the winter months. The rooms are spacious and comfortable although a few old details over time. Breakfast is very good considering the standards of Uruguay. All rates are highly variable since year-end these up almost 250%. deside tath I think it offers good value for your money. All the staff was very friendly.

Room Tip: Try to book your room on the highest floor as possible, in order to get a great view of the Ocean,
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 December 2013

We went there for two nights and we were very pleased with this hotel! The service was really good, everyone was very helpful. The breakfast was to die for!! A great variety of meals, from breads and spreads to fruits and yogurts. Many teas to chose from and the best was the freshly squeezed orange juice! you could see the machine just squeezing the orange away! not many places have that.
The room sizes were very generous considering room size in other hotels in uruguay, it was very good for the price you paid. I've read previous reviews mentioning the aspect of the hotel, yes it is old but it is very well taken care of. The flush of the toilet could be a bit better, but the staff goes out of their way to help you with any issue.
The pools are a good size, could be a bit bigger considering the amount of guest the hotel had. However, as the beach is right across i don't think anyone really mind about the size of the pool.
The location of the hotel is good, its not right downtown but it is about maybe 10 blocks top away from Gorlero. There is a bus that passes right across the street from the hotel that will leave you right at La Brava in less than 5 minutes, that was a big plus! In addition to this, the hotel is right around the corner from a supermarket! so you can get any snacks at a regular price rather than the overpriced of the kiosks downtown. Apart from the supermarket there is a nice little restaurant called El Milagro whose food is really good and at a normal price, nothing as expensive as most of the restaurants in the city.

This was a great stay!! We will definitely come back and visit Hotel Amsterdam!!! I will recommend this place to anyone who is on a budget visit to Punta del Este!

Room Tip: 5th floor has an amazing view!!!
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 September 2013

The service was excellent with friendly staff who spoke very good English. We arrived very late (straight from our wedding!) and there was actually a leak in the ceiling near the door of our room. The room was changed for us straight away without any fuss. The hotel organised a taxi back to the airport for us and looked after our luggage until our departure.

• Stayed: September 2013