“Lovely Hotel but Staff not trained or ready for guests”

Jumeirah at Etihad Towers
Ranked #1 of 127 Hotels in Abu Dhabi
Dubai
“Lovely Hotel but Staff not trained or ready for guests”
Reviewed 9 January 2012

I stayed at the Etihad Towers on New Years Eve. On arrival we waited nearly 1 hour for checkin around 40 minutes queuing and 20 minutes at the desk while they worked out how to use the system. (I do appreciate the hotel was full and the delays were not the fault of any one individual). Once we had our room (Apartment) we were guided there by one of the staff (Who didn't know the way), on arrival to the room we entered and were confronted with another guest who was already in the bedroom. We had to go back to reception and wait another 20 minutes for another room. Once we arrived in this room our bags took another 30 minutes to arrive. We had planned to spend the afternoon visiting the Volvo Race village but we lost over 2.5 hrs at the hotel from arrival.

Nothing to fault about the room (Apartment) although it had no refreshment and the only bottle of water in the room was half consumed.

Check out was easy!.

Lost Property:
I'd left a t-shirt and a jumper at the hotel. I'd called on New Year's day to make sure they had it. Which they did and it went to house keeping for safe looking after!. I called them back on the 4th January and made arrangements to collect the items, again they confirmed that they still had them. On arrival back to Etihad towers from Dubai I waited 30 minutes while they tried to find them and in the end I had to leave without my items. However 5 minutes down the road I got a phone call asking me to go back for collection.

Having stayed at most hotels in Abu Dhabi, I would never go back to Etihad towers, it's worth a visit to use the sky bar if you can brave the construction but stay somewhere else.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
7 Thank Matthew B
Doris G, General Manager at Jumeirah at Etihad Towers, responded to this review, 12 January 2012
Dear MatthewB

Greetings from Jumeirah at Etihad Towers and thank you for posting your review about our hotel.

Please accept my apologies for the delay at check-in and inconvenience of being taken to what seemed like an occupied room. New Year’s Eve was our busiest period so far; as a new hotel we are still experiencing some teething trouble however it is not an excuse. What you experienced is not our usual standard; we would like to investigate this further and I would appreciate if you could email me directly on doris.greif@jumeirah.com.

I am sorry about the trouble you had retrieving your items; we have reinforced training in all areas to ensure that this is not repeated.

Once again; I apologise for your experience with us which does not reflect the high standards that the Jumeirah brand is renowned for. I look forward to hearing from you directly so we can investigate and resolve the issues that you experienced during your stay.

Sincerely Yours

Doris Greif

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (765)
  • Arabic first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Lisbon, Portugal
Reviewed 7 January 2012

Everything simply perfect! it looks like someone totally maniacal take care of all little details!!

• Stayed December 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank Filipe M
Doris G, General Manager at Jumeirah at Etihad Towers, responded to this review, 24 January 2012
Dear Filipe M

Thank you for posting the great review. I along with the entire team of Jumeirah at Etihad Towers appreciate your positive comments and look forward to welcoming you back.

Best Regards

Bedford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 January 2012

We checked into the Towers for the last two nights of our holiday to give a break to the friends and family that we had been staying with, choosing the hotel on the strength of it's trip advisor reviews.

We took a club level room which is to be recommended both for the higher floor (and so incredible views), and access to the Lounge which is superb.

There is a lot of construction taking place in AD, and the Hotel is next to the construction site for another large tower.  There is noise from the pool/beach side, but it is amazing how quickly this ceases to be a distraction, and is completely inaudible from the haven of the hotel.

Everything is beautifully completed with high attention to detail.  The staff are incredibly attentive, and stopped at nothing to make every aspect of the stay special.  Having 4 children always throws up interesting travel challenges, but we were very well looked after and a particular mention must go to Balagrishnan and the Club Lounge team, and the poolside team.

We dined last night in Quest, and my ambivalence towards Asian fine dining may now be a thing of the past.  Exquisite food, great wine list (I really hope the wine list app on iPad catches on as this was truly inspired), personal attention from manager Yohan (?) and chef Benjamin and great service from the rest of the team, all delivered in a private room with stunning 63rd floor views of AD.  The toothpick dispenser is on my 2012 Christmas presentlist already!

I made extensive use of the gym which is very well equipped, expertly staffed (I like the cold towels), but a little warm.  My wife and older daughters were also very impressed with the spa.

The less than perfect score on cleanliness is for a) the view from the corridor windows obscured by dirt (construction work acknowledged); and b) lots of litter on the sea bed (although the shoreline is regularly cleared)

I also travel to AD on business several times a year and expect to make this my regular haunt.

I suspect that once the hotel becomes established we will not enjoy quite the same great value that we were able to enjoy on this trip, but who knows?!

Room Tip: Go for Club Level or above. Our corner room ( 11) has great views across both Corniche and Islands...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
6 Thank DmOr
Doris G, General Manager at Jumeirah at Etihad Towers, responded to this review, 10 January 2012
Dear DmOr

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and for posting the review.

We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us especially the Executive Club lounge.

It is my pleasure to share your comments with the teams in Executive Club Lounge, Quest, Six P Gym and Talise Spa. It is indeed very motivating for us to see the efforts of our team being recognised.

Thank you for your constructive comments about areas of improvement; we are taking corrective action to ensure that this is not repeated.

I would be happy to share the details of the supplier for the toothpick holder with you; please write to me on doris.greif@jumeirah.com

I and the entire Jumeirah at Etihad Towers team look forward to welcoming you back.

Warm Regards

Horsham, West Sussex
Reviewed 5 January 2012

Hi I have just come back from this hotel with my Hubby. We stayed for 6 nights over New Year. We had the apartments in the hotel, yes there are apartments as well as rooms. The Apartments are fantastic and have equipment of everything. You think that oh I don't want to cook on holiday, but it is very expensive out there to eat. When we arrived we were put in a room on the fourteenth floor. Our apartment was a studio, but it was spacious. We woke up on New Year's Eve to hear contstant banging, yes please be aware there is massive construction work going on behind the hotel. I complained in the morning and it took and wasted a whole afternoon, while we waited to be moved. I was really upset and my Husband was completely cheesed off. They did give us a bottle of wine, to make up for it, but as we were there for only a short time, it was time we could of spent at the beach or doing something else. There is also massive construction work going on around the hotel and it is NOT advisable to wear your best clothes or Ladies do not wear your high heeled shoes. I trashed a pair of new sandals out there. As when you walk over the road from the hotel and walk on the pedestrian site. It is basically a building site. Taxis are dirt cheap and you can go to the mall from there. Would I go back yes, would I stay here, not sure. Whilst laying by the pool outside, fab pool by the way all you could hear was constant banging and cranes. Not good relaxation, it was much nicer going to the beach on the Corniche.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank luxorbabe
Dear luxorbabe

Thank you for staying at Jumeirah at Etihad Towers and taking the time to post this review.

I am glad that your accommodation was to your liking.

I apologise for the long check-in time; this is not our usual standard. Also please accept my apologies for the inconvenience caused by the construction around the hotel. As a new hotel we are experiencing some teething trouble and are working diligently on your feedback.

I hope that this experience will not deter you from returning to our hotel. Meanwhile if we can be of any further assistance please write to me directly on doris.greif@jumeirah.com

Sincerely

Strathcarron, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 January 2012

The most luxurious building site I've ever stayed at! Stayed for three nights in a Deluxe room. Very elegant, stylish new hotel, but with a couple of glitches that lose it the 'excellent' rating, I'm afraid. Amazing bathroom (actually better than the bedroom) with panoramic views of the Arabian Gulf (oh, and lots of building sites). Fantastic attention to detail throughout, from staff uniforms to hotel-shaped toiletries. Loved the lift(s) lined with polished amethyst!

The breakfast (in the Rosewater restaurant) was, without doubt, the best I have seen in any hotel. At AED140++ it's not cheap, but it offered any amazing selection of Western, Arabic and Asian choices with plenty of healthy options. Get a table out on the terrace if you can, and enjoy a long, lazy breakfast ... bliss! Also had an enjoyable poolside lunch at the Nahaam restaurant. Ray's Bar on the 62nd floor had incredible decor and views, but on a Thursday night was loud and smoky, so not really my sort of thing.

The negatives: we extended our original stay (at reception) by one extra day, however the next day they had no record of this new booking, and we had to re-book the extra day again. After going out for a few hours and returning to the hotel, our room still hadn't been serviced, so clearly they were still expecting us to check out that day, despite (twice) booking the extra day. Upon a second return to our room, we were locked out as the room key didn't work ... now this was getting a bit annoying - this really shouldn't happen at a hotel of this calibre. Staff are clearly very new and some require further training. However, later that day two boxes of very nice dates and chocolates were delivered to our room with an apology ... very sweet of them, and good to know that customer complaints are acted upon. Aside from this incident, staff were excellent throughout.

Our main grumble concerns the air-conditioning in the bedroom; either we froze, even with the a/c at the lowest setting, or without a/c the room rapidly became quite stuffy. The a/c vent was angled so that the cool air hit you in the face/head as you lay in bed - uncomfortable and possibly unhealthy. Being winter, we were able to sleep without the a/c, but unfortunately this issue might mean that we would choose another hotel in the future ... good sleep and comfort is important! (Though it may be just this room's layout).

Would I recommended this hotel? Yes ... it is absolutely stunning, and I'm sure that in a few month's time there won't be any issues with (a few) inexperienced staff. Just pack a scarf against the over-efficient air-con!

Room Tip: Opt for the room with the panoramic bathroom.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Moofs
Doris G, General Manager at Jumeirah at Etihad Towers, responded to this review, 15 January 2012
Dear Moofs

Thank you for taking the time to post your review.

I am glad that you enjoyed your stay especially our bathroom with a view. It is my pleasure to pass your compliments on to the Rosewater and Nahaam teams.

I apologise the inconvenience caused when you wished to extend your stay; this is not our usual standard and we have streamlined our processes and reinforced training in all areas to ensure that this is not repeated.

Please accept my apologies for the inconvenience caused during your stay because of the construction around the hotel. Unfortunately there is ongoing construction next to the hotel along with road works in this part of Abu Dhabi which impacts all establishments including ours. We are all hopeful that the works would be complete soon to make your stay more enjoyable.

I have addressed your concerns about the AC with the relevant team and the issues mentioned would be resolved soon. Please write to me directly on doris.greif@jumeirah.com if you would like to discuss this further.

Thank you for your recommendation; I on behalf of the entire Jumeirah at Etihad Towers team look forward to welcoming you back.

Best Regards