“Rooms are great but certain areas were disappointing”

The Ritz-Carlton, Doha
Ranked #12 of 140 Hotels in Doha
Reviewed 18 December 2012

Stayed at the hotel during my recent visit to Doha. Airport Representative (Rachid) was very welcoming and helpful. Disappointed during the check-in. The only two sentences spoken to me during my check-in was "Can I have your passport" and "Can I have your credit card". After these two sentences I was handed over my room key and had no clue on where to head to..I was assisted then by a concierge person. I was not sure where to head for my breakfast next morning and had to call operator and check the location. Breakfast was very poor and seats were placed so close to the next table such that for me to get up go to the buffet the person on the table behind me had to move too.. Selection of items provided during breakfast is not great at hotel.

But the rooms were very spacious.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank A143

Reviewed 17 December 2012

It was great Airport welcome folowed by very smooth and personalized checkin repecting our nature of visit and type of visit, the room was great and I enjoyed a nice upgrade I have to admit the suite is very well maintained and if the hotel management wanted to make it close to perfection they would upgrade their TVs and find a solution to have a stronger water pressure in the shower cabinet. I was unhapy with the breakfast service as I only wanted musli and they could not get me I thought may be its my accent but I realized that they directed me to a non smoking table, although I was seated already finally when I get my musli it followed with a coffee but unfortunatly it was spilled as I was sitting at a rocking table you neal on it from one side it moves from the other and my colleage opposite me nealled on the table.... that was not a good experience especially at a Ritz Carlton and especially after being pampered in a room upgrade and a nice service all the way from check in onwards.... it is fair to mention that the transportation service at the hotel is very good, it was rainning the whole night and we asked to go down town and the driver promised if we need to be picked up he will arrane it, we called later after an hour and he delivered and even managed to pick us up from a different location than the drop off point in the middle of this rainy night.... CHAPEAU

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 9 December 2012 via mobile

Very pleasant stay with remarkable service and atmosphere. This is a Doha landmark. You'll enjoy if you appreciate a classic grand hotel experience. There are better contemporary options.

The rooms seemed only standard but not exceptional. I also take exception when you pay luxury rates and still get overcharged for slow wifi.

• Stayed: December 2012
Reviewed 20 November 2012

Due to the Eid Al Adha holidays the hotel was overbooked so we decided to book somewhere else and luckily we never regretted it.
We had however the opportunity to dine here that special day of the Halloween and this is mostly what I am supposed to write on my review. As a Guide Writer and a person who cares about travellers I decided to go further and comment in general on the hotel.

Upon arrival you come across the usual parade of White Range Rovers (the local’s favourite) and those Bentleys attest to the wealth of the guests. The lobby and entrance are huge and impressive as we expected it but I have seen many others much more impressive I can admit. The majority of times these huge in size places lose the personal touch. It seems that it is the locals’ favourite spot and the lobby is full of them but you don’t dare take a picture in case somebody is disturbed.
You find many locals at the coffee lobby and it is hard to think that they discuss anything else other than business or the next deal.

Well the Ritz-Carlton might not be the newest hotel in Doha but I am sure those days when it opened it was truly THE # 1, glamorous and outstanding hotel in Doha. As a Carlton it does combine extravagant elegance and warmth of a traditional Arabian welcome but it begins to show its age.

The Carlton of Doha is situated on its own exclusive island resort but it is quite away from the City centre. Have in mind that there is limited taxi service in Qatar in general since almost everyone owns a car. Taxis can get costly and you have to give appointments hours before. Of course there is always the hotel’s limo and that won’t be a problem if you are that wealthy. The Pearl is the closest getaway for a day out for some shopping.
It is not a hotel that is popular for its beach like others. It has a rocky coast instead but there is always the beautiful garden with the pools.

It seems to be a professionally run hotel but comments from guests are not always what you expect to read out of a hotel of such fame.

I asked to see one or two rooms to get a rough idea of what we missed. For the director of public relations nothing was much trouble and she pleasantly showed me a few.
The rooms décor is extremely classic and ….too much!
I would certainly not call it chic. There are too much colourful and not matching between them pieces of furniture especially in the suites. Light is dim in the rooms, marble bathrooms like in many other hotels while toiletries are the Bvlgary collection but honestly I cannot say I was impressed especially when we walked along the corridors to get from one room to the other.

Well, Wednesday the 31st the day of the Halloween celebrations and here at the Ritz there is this holiday atmosphere. We come down the stairs and the first thing we see are happy children dressed up in their costumes, faces painted and a lovely seating dining corner with colourful chairs and little tables. Children seem to have finished their meal and they were all around having fun…luckily not in the Lagoon!
A happy and festive atmosphere indeed and even waiters were in their costumes with lots of makeup and colour on their face.

The Lagoon restaurant is by all means impressive. The design and décor the colour …everything. The room is huge and it is very high with huge flower pots scattered here and there. Light was very faint matching with the day….halloween!

When it comes to accommodation and I am travelling I am out for the very best and as far as food is concerned I can try everything (even a bite) just for the experience but again I expect the best quality and taste coming out of fresh ingredients. The nice presentation is also the other factor and at the Lagoon this special Halloween night everything was exceptional and exceeded our expectations. Indeed a lavish buffet one that I will remember.

The Admiral’s Club is more on the a la carte menu but it was booked for a private party that evening. Its seafood platter of lobster, prawns, fish and squid is outstanding and that was what I would have picked if I were there. It costs Qr. 260.

The Halloween dinner we had, even though it was a buffet it included sea food as well. What a nice surprise!!! You see there was a chef behind the bench in an open fire and he would cook for you anything you wanted to have out of the platter of fresh seafood (lobsters, prawns, squid or fish).
The cost of our meal was (Qr.240) or Qr.315 with bubbly. We had 3 glasses of wine instead so it cost a bit more. (Kids under 4 can dine for free while for the ones who are 4 years to 12 the cost is Qr. 120.

There are several affordable packages for the coming Christmas holidays with special Theme nights for Thanksgiving, Christmas Eve, and New Year’s Eve. I would certainly return if I were in Doha.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank greekcypriot2009
Reviewed 15 October 2012

I stayed in the Ritz Carlton for nearly 3 weeks Sept/Oct 2012 and my experience was memorable, mainly from the Point of view of their staff. They were so friendly and they always remembered my name. I felt very comfortable going into the bar on my own, for example, as I was known.
The food in La Mer and Porcini was excellent and The Lagoon buffet was very good also. Lagoon's seafood night which was excellent. But the service in the Lagoon was not as good as the two restuarants.I think understanding English was the problem. Another note - maybe its a typical Qatar thing but all service staff were immigrants - one each Romania, Irish, but loads from Bangladesh, Ethiopia, India, Philipines. not that relevant but curious.
as mentioned in my title, the conceirge and the drivers were exceptional and accomodating. The bar and loby servers fantastic

Room Tip: The view of the Gulf and Lagoon lovely. each room had a balcony also. I was on 12th floor and had a...