“Unique tasteful expensive food ”
Review of zepra

zepra
Ranked #139 of 1,766 Restaurants in Tel Aviv
Price range: US$25 - US$70
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 15 February 2018 via mobile

The two of us at the bar, lovely non-meat, non-seafood dinner, enjoyed excellent dishes and a good bottle of wine. Spent 800 NIS including 15% service.
The two Buddha salads are the best one can find, perfectly seasoned and absolutely delicious. The sashimi dishes are tasty, but only 2 pieces of push are served in each dish, so it’s become the highest priced sashimi in Tel Aviv. The Tom Sam is seasoned with an aggressive chilly sauce and its not one of their best dishes. The Har Gow filled with mushrooms is excellent. The Orange Blossom desert is one of a kind, both in appearance and taste.
Service at the bar was not personal as one who seats there would expect.
Bottom line- go to Zepra if you want to eat good food and have deep pockets.

Reviewed 11 February 2018 via mobile

I've reviewed Zepra before and have been back several times since. This is an excellent Tel Aviv choice for Asian. However, as mentioned on other reviews, it is a little pricy even for TLV. I think a 6000 shekel sake is a bit much, yeah?

The decour is fantastic. It puts everyone in a relaxed mood with the lighting, etc. They have good options for big groups, mid-sized groups, and small groups in a cozy alcove or at the bar.

For me, the service has always been great. This time was no different as the server(s) was attentive and helpful. One of the "things" at Zepra is they like to offer the full meal suggestion, close your menu, and trust the server to choose for you. I've never done this but just to let you know it is an option.

Apps on the left side of the menu go from 30 shekels to more pricy 50s, 70s, and beyond. We had the som tam papaya salad, popcorn black tiger shrimp, and the Zepra cut holstein steak. All three were unanimously considered fantastic. I didn't have the sashimi but understand it was also very good.

For dinner, on the right side of the menu, I had the Gahang Pad Gai curry with chicken. The chicken was a wonderful cut and the meal had nice veggies. The spice, on the menu, was 2 peppers but I didn't find it too spicy. I like spicy food and would call it closer to 1.5 pepper than 2.5, if that makes sense. I've had this dish a couple of times and it is always very good. I didn't catch too many reviews around the table but heard the pad thai was tasty. I want to try the sari curry noodles next time.

Once again this was a superior visit to Zepra. Make sure you get reservations. It is a Tel Aviv must try.

Reviewed 5 February 2018

We booked a table for a family of 5 on a Friday night. We were told we were lucky that they still had space. After being seated, our waiter approached us and suggested he chooses for us what to eat, so that we could get a taste of several recommended dishes. Since we were celebrating, we went along with his suggestion, knowing that it will probably be more expensive than if we ordered alone.
All in all, our waiter was very helpfull and knowledgable, and the food was nicely served and tasty. When the main course was over, we were still hungry, so we had to order two more dishes.
The shock came when we received the bill. It was in excess of 2100 shekels, or in other words 600 USD. A few examples: a glass of simple white wine - 66 shekels(!), salmon sashimi - 24 shekels a piece, deep fried trout in panko - 248 shekels(!!!), deserts - 50-60 shekels each. I have been at many good and expensive restaurants in Israel and around the world, but have never found myself paying such atrocious prices.
Unfortunately, I never thought of checking here (TripAdvisor) in advance, but one thing I'm sure of - we won't be returning to eat there again. This is very unfortunate, since as I wrote above, the food is very good but the overpriced dishes are a definite turnoff.

Reviewed 12 January 2018

If you want huge meals floating in sauces, this is not it. If you want a rowdy scene, ditto. If you truly love good food, fresh and well balances, made and served by the nicest people, and you know the difference between that and the other, then this is for you. The first thing that you notice is that it is packed. We arrived at our customary 6:30pm, and it was already filling up fast. The next thing that you see is that it looks tiny, but you will discover that it has several areas that are linked. This gives Zepra a cosy and relaxed ambience, but that and the lack of plate glass cuts out the noise so you can actually have a nice "Tête à Tête" without having to lean forward and ask for a repeat. The seats are very comfortable and the place is spotless, and that includes the rest rooms. It is not cheap, because it is not McDonalds, but for the quality of the whole experience it is good value, not as expensive as some of the more pretentious places that are uncommon in Israel anyway. Our waiter was charming, great sense of humour and very helpful. He knew food, no doubt about it. The food is prepared as you order, no pre-cook and warm stuff, so be prepared to savour then sit back and relax between courses. בְּתֵאָבוֹן (Bitei-avon: Bon Appetite).

Reviewed 28 December 2017 via mobile

I visited Zepra with a few friends during lunch which meant that there was a business lunch deal. Pay the price of the main course and get a starter and drink included. I took the home made iced tea, it was overly sweet. The starter was the spring roll which was nice but lacked a little seasoning within the spring roll itself, as a maincourse I felt the dish was a little bland needed more flavouring the min courses are nice sized portions but when looking at the menus the prices are a little too much, 70plus shekel for a noodle dish with some chicken is exaggerated. The service was great though.