“Not newly renovated but helpful staff and a warm welcome”
Review of Alcazar Hotel

Alcazar Hotel
Ranked #82 of 101 Hotels in Jerusalem
Reviewed 8 January 2012

The hotel is a bit run down and in need of renovation, but that is more than reflected in the price. That being said, it was well run and the staff does try their best to ensure you feel at home. For example, I was sold a phone card at the front desk because I had to call someone in the West Bank, but could not get through with the card they sold me. They not only bought back the card, but managed to get through on a private cell phone and did not charge me. I realize that they may have only saved me a few bucks, but it is extra service like that (and there are other examples) that really made me feel like my well-being was important to them.
One thing you should know though is that most people in the neighborhood only speak Arabic, although some speak English. The neighborhood itself is not very fancy but I never felt in danger, even at night. Jerusalem is a small city and you can do a lot of walking--I walked from Yad Vashem to this hotel--a bit of a hike, but certainly doable.
If I ever go back to Jerusalem, and it is a beautiful city so I hope I make it someday, this is the only hotel I will consider--even if the rooms look like they have not been redone since 1960, the staff and their welcoming attitude more than make up for that.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled solo

Reviewed 27 December 2011

We selected this hotel because we wanted to stay in the Arab section of Jerusalem. The hotel is old, decor is definitely early Salvation Army. But the staff is friendly and helpful and everything is very clean. Hotel is in a residential area, no restaurants or shops within 10 or 15 min walk, so not the most convenient location. Free coffee, tea and fruit available in the lobby, generous breakfast. And the price is right!

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 November 2011

Based on TripAdvisor recommendations my wife and I stayed at Alcazar for 4 nights. Here's what you need to know:

1. It's a great price for Jerusalem. At least $20 lower than comparable hotels.
2. It is a little run down, but it is clean and totally adequate where it counts. For a young couple on a budget, it was perfect. We didn't spend much time in our room, but were happy and comfortable while we were there. Rooms are small-ish. Adequate storage space. Bed was comfortable. Bathroom was dated, but everything worked. Other rooms have upgraded bathrooms.
3. The staff are all very helpful and kind.
4. The location is good in the sense that it's quite close to the old city with easy access to other sites by car. The neighborhood can look a little rugged if you're not used to East Jerusalem. We felt perfectly safe at all hours. Being a pedestrian is a little scary in that area (narrow crowded streets) but that's just the nature of the city.
5. Internet in the lobby (although it was not working one of the days we were there).
6. The breakfast is decent. They also will serve soup in the evening sometimes.
7. Bring earplugs. The call to prayer can be heard from several close mosques starting at about 4:30 A.M.

We would stay there again without hesitation and have recommended it to friends who agreed that it's a great value.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank TKF489
Reviewed 19 November 2011

We've stayed here a couple of times, once in 2009 and once in 2010. The service was excellent, the staff polite, price was good, breakfast was very good! It's a bit of a walk from the Old City but a good way to keep you fit (I believe there are also busses...)! Rooms are a bit tired, could do with some refurbishing, but for the price... no complaints!

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled with family
2  Thank zuzazu
Reviewed 24 October 2011

My wife and I WOULD stay here again if we returned to Jerusalem. We also WOULD recommend Alcazar Hotel to others. Old, out of date and held together with bailing wire and tape, to be sure; BUT the incuded breakfast, internet access, delightful service and so on easily override all the negatives. I could not find any hotel anywhere in Jerusalem that competed on the price.

If you're driving yourself, be warned that the area has essentially NO street signs and the hotel has NO sign out front! But EVERYBODY we encountered was friendly and helpful, even when we just stopped the car and hollered at folks on the street for help! Rent a GPS with your rental car!!!

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple