See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 27 December 2016

Here is a little boutique hotel just by the Bosphorus straits tucked in a small district of Istanbul called Çengelköy. In my opinion, ıncluding the most luxurious hotels in Istanbul, this is the best in the city. You will see what I mean as soon as you enter the minimalist reception area and greeted by the friendly crew. You will not believe that such a tranquil place can exist in such a hectic, noisy and crowded city. I would recommend to stay but if you don't want to, at least go for a drink or a meal. You can sit by the water and enjoy 'possibly the best' view of Bosphorus and the bridge (at night, it is another spectacle when they switch the lights on the bridge). They used to have a boat, unfortunately it is a pity it does not exist anymore. They have a very nice library you can take advantage of if you did not bring your book with you. If you want peace and quiet, this is the place to be. I know it is far away from the 'old city' but it is worthwhile a visit at least. Don't forget to take a stroll in the village, they have the best fruit and of course the 'tiny' cucumbers in the city. For the fruit, I always go for mulberries which are hard to come by. Otherwise, try figs or cherries. While you are there, have a glass of wine for me too :-)

• Stayed: June 2016, travelled with friends
Reviewed 6 December 2016

we stayed in this hotel for 3 nights. the view is perfect. you can rest on the bed and looking over bosphorous and ships and birds and also see the sunset behind the bridge. the hotel was so clean. i think the only negative point of the hotel is the price because they said that the hotel is five star but its not really like five star. the breakfast is so limited even one day there was not any breakfast and the waiter brought us seperately .there was not any swimming pool and access to the hotel from the center of the city was so difficult and the neighborhood was so traditional and people could not speak english but the price is same as the big five star hotels in istanbul with many hobbies to do.if you want to have a calm voyage and rest i propose this hotel to you. the staff of the hotel also are very good specially miss berna chakir the sales manager of the hotel that guided us a lot and was so cooperative. we had a good holiday in this hotel.

• Stayed: December 2016, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Farzad N
Reviewed 10 November 2016

The rooms are wonderful, location a bit remote. Great place to relax. Had fun just watching the boats go by. Perfect for 2 nights. Would not stay much longer if you are one to be on the go. Breakfast was delicious.

Room Tip: I think all rooms are overlooking the water.
  • Stayed: October 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 October 2016

I am so glad we chose to stay at the Sumahan on the Water, as it is the most fabulous hotel. Unbelievably amazing setting that is right on the Bosphorus so you get an incredible view of the sea with all the boats passing by, and the Martyrs' Bridge which is really close. Being on the Asian side, you also get to see sunsets over the water. The hotel's decor is beautiful - modern and sleek - and they offer superb service - they really looked after us well. I recommend staying in one of the loft rooms which access the garden overlooking the Bosphorus. There is a beautiful outdoor seating area to enjoy breakfast, drinks and dinner, and the hotel also has a small, well equipped gym. The hotel's boat ferries you over to the European side at certain times of the day for free, which is really good fun, and it is also very easy to come back via the public ferry and a cab. It was so interesting staying on the Asian side, and I felt that we were a lot closer to the culture of Turkey, rather than being slap bang in a tourist area. This would be my first choice of hotel if I went to Istanbul again, and I would not want to stay anywhere else - in terms of setting, luxury and service, the value for money is incredible.

• Stayed: September 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 September 2016

This is my first visit for over a year and I am pleased to see that things have only gotten better. The rooms have a view that few on Earth can boast. I love the the intimate cafe that gives a nearly personal view of the European side of the strait. The food is great, particularly the steak salad! I love the little olive crackers that they make in-house and serve with drinks. I know they do it on site because I asked where I could buy them... I couldn't. I love the Liffey, but a beer on the Bosphorous - few things in life are as grand. I will be back!

Stayed: September 2016