All reviews turkey blue mosque hagia sophia every morning within walking distance excellent location airport transfer marmara sea major attractions no lift sultanahmet district triple room grand bazaar small hotel basilica cistern tram station terrace
Reviewed 5 July 2016

This hotel is a gem. It is location centrally located to everything, reasonably priced, clean and the staff is excellent. Amenities are basic but exactly what I look for when I travel. Sergea at the front desk is very friendly and helpful. Nice small breakfast served by a wonderful lady named Fatima on a rooftop patio with great views. There is a rooftop terrace above the breakfast patio with excellent views of the Blue Mosque and Hagia Sofia as well as the Sea. My wife and I both had a wonderful time.

Date of stay: October 2015
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 June 2016

We had a daytime layover in Istanbul from 8am to 8pm. We needed a convenient base to leave our bags, take a shower and explore.I chose this hotel on booking.com because it had an early check in time (11am) AND a great Sultanahmet settiing AND rooms for just 31 Euro. In the event, we arrived at 9:30am and Sergei the super guy on reception got us into our room right away and gave us breakfast on arrival on the rooftop terrace. Yes the hotel is simple but the welcome is warm and what do you expect for 31 Euro. It was all clean, good shower, safety deposit box, everything worked (esp the a/c - it was 30c outside) and best of all the attention and hospitality made our short visit to Istanbul a great way to end of holiday. Fantastic value for money. Thanks to everyone at the Peninsula.

• Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed 2 June 2016

My husband and I stayed in room 103.

PROS:
This is a quaint hotel and in a convenient location in the old part of the city. All you have to do is walk, maybe, 3-4 blocks and you are located on the Sultanahmet Square. The breakfast buffet has an arrange of food, pleasantly presented. The rooms are clean and tidy. Our room had a small closet with a security box. The windows appear to be soundproof very little noise can be heard, especially during the call to prayer. You can hear it, but it is not that piercing, it is a faint sound.

The hotel has friendly staff who speak English.
There is airport pick-up and drop-off for a reasonable price. The manager Zeike, I hope I spelt his name correctly, sent me an email inquiring if I needed an airport pick-up, which I confirmed. Then before leaving the hotel, I arranged for the same service. It was easy. They take Euros or Turkish Liras, cash and credit cards.

Hotel Peninsula is an old building that has been modernized.
Emails are promptly answered.

CONS:
The hotel does not have an elevator, which is a shame because the breakfast buffet is located on the rooftop. Those with some type of disability would have a problem getting to the top.

Our 103 room was small. Then again, before arriving, I emailed the manager Zeike and asked for a convenient room on the first floor. My husband had just fractured his ankle prior to leaving on our trip. Zeike accommodated us on the first floor in room 103. So I don’t know what our original room might have looked like, if the same or bigger. Nonetheless, in our room there was no space to put a suitcase rack, in fact there was no suitcase rack.

There was no small refrigerator in our room either.

I'm giving this a 4 star because of the size of the room, no elevator, and no refrigerator.

Reviewed 8 May 2016 via mobile

This is how we felt at this Hotel. Nothing was too much trouble. Extra towels, use an iron, offer to send your laundry out, organise any tour you want, recommend restaurants and at end of the day happy to spend time with you. Ahmed, Ramozarn, Sarbo, Mashallah and Zeki you all do a great job and you made our weeks stay in Istanbul even more special.
We stayed on the top floor so had a little balcony with table and chairs so able to rig up clothesline. Next door was the roof terrace where an ample tasty breakfast was put on each day by Ihun. A lovely area. We hung a small torch for lighting inside wardrobe. Bed was firm. Shower and loo were great.
This hotel was honest and I would recommend. Great value for money.
Kiwis on Tour

Date of stay: May 2016
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 April 2016

We stayed here for only one night on the 5th of April.Serjei was on the front desk whilst we were there and was so helpful and informative. A special thankyou to him and the owner for letting us have a late checkout. Our plane flew out late in the evening. it meant so much to us to be able to have a full day and then come back and have a shower prior to our ten hour flight to Seoul. We also booked a small double but I think we were given a large double. Istanbul seems to be suffering in the tourist market at present. I found it really sad as this is my third time in Istanbul (last time we stayed at Hotel Penisula as well.) I hope tourists will visit again.
A special thankyou to the lovely lady at breakfast that was so warm and friendly. We love the terrace for breakfast and also drinks in the evening. We stayed on the way over at The Grand Penisula Hotel which was not bad but we prefer the atmosphere view and location of The Penisula Hotel. Only thing that might make it better is to add a electric kettle. This was the only difference from The Grand Penisula.
Thankyou once again to all the lovely staff we will be back again someday.

Room tip: Upper level front room was much quieter than room at the back as a small mosque backs onto those rooms.
Date of stay: April 2016