“Unusual Turkish Event...”

and up
Whirling Dervishes at Hodjapasha
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: The Ceremony is in the Real Monasteries near Fatih, Yenikapi, Silivrikapi and Galata areas where the local & the Sufi Community lives. We are the member of the community since the 90's and have a culture center in Sultanahmet. Every Mondays and Thursdays at 20:00 we meet in our place, give a little lecture about the ceremony and go to our monastery with our Car. Its an authentic Ceremony and not a tourist show like in Sultanahmet. The Duration is app. 2 hours with Zikr ( meditation ), Sufi Music & Dervish Ceremony. In the end of the ceremony we return back to Sultanahmet. The Dress Code is long Sleeves & you can take a few photos without flash and disturbing the ambiance. We only take limited number of guests soo please let us know in advanced.. You are all welcome in our monastrey..
Reviewed 12 March 2017

The long history of this wonderful religious experience is what made us book and see these oft quoted dervishes. The demonstration is long, very long. Mesmerising and spine tingling music accompanying the slowly graceful whirling is fascinating but also repetitive in its nature. If I'm honest I had enough half way through as did my husband but manners dictated that we stayed to the end and did not disrupt the spiritual trancelike state of the dervishes. Most children would struggle with this. If you have difficulty sitting or staying quiet for long periods bear this in mind and possible sit near the exit in case you need to escape. Definitely an experience but tick in the box for me and won't be repeated.

All reviews
in 5 reviews
"sufi"
in 6 reviews

Reviewed 12 December 2016

This SUFI approach to spiritualism can help to view things from a different perspective. I think an experience can be enrich each one.

Reviewed 22 November 2016 via mobile

I attended the show tonight. There is no aspect of the show itself that I would criticize, the booking was simple and the venue easy to find. However, I believe it's the audience that spoil it for someone who really wants to immerse themselves in the spirituality of the performance. Some people spoke and laughed quite loudly until more than halfway through the show, then simply got up and left with as much noise as they could make. Please do your homework regarding this performance, don't view it as something you have to do because you are in Turkey, do it because you can respect and appreciate the work put into a perfectly executed performance. 'Just saying'

12  Thank Swalma
Reviewed 14 November 2016

We decided to attend the Whirling Dervish religious service the day before and our concierge was able to obtain tickets for us. It was an easy walk from our lodging near the Blue Mosque. The experience was unlike anything we had seen. There are rules against photos but several people near us were abusing this. It is not the way that I worship but I considered it a cultural experience and worth attending.

See more reviews
Reviewed 20 May 2016

We went to this service which is held once a week on Sundays at 5pm and we were lucky enough to be in town at the time and were curious to see what it was like. Surprised to see just how many people were there and it started off very slowly, lots of speeches in Turkish and music before the Dervishes actually came into the main area. We were all given a leaflet which explained all about it and it was very interesting to know why they dress as they do and what the service means. There was a lot of walking around and bowing and then the whirling started, it was quite mesmerising and amazing how they never got dizzy or bumped into each other. It was so weird and different from anything we have been to before and you could see that they were all clearly totally engrossed in it. This is a religious service and certainly different from any other I have been to, but it was very interesting to see and learn more about it.