“not a 5 star hotel”

Istanbul Gonen Hotel
Ranked #344 of 1,163 Hotels in Istanbul
Reviewed 29 June 2017

I can call it a nightmare, this is not a 5 star hotel. Even though I had reservation on hand I was not given the correct room, supposedly non smoking room but it smelled like cigarettes and there was cigarette damage to the furniture, dirty toilet and dirty shower; bloodstains. The gap between the bottom of the door and the floor is huge and to much light and noise came from the gap. And I was overcharged by the hotel even though I had a email proving what I was supposed to pay. The only good thing was the breakfast buffet and that is about it,

Room Tip: too loud not quiet enough
  • Stayed: June 2017, travelled as a couple
KorayCetiner, Genel Müdür at Istanbul Gonen Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 July 2017

Dear Mr. Oscar456,

We thank You very much for taking Your time and leaving us a note on TripAdvisor which You inform us about your thoughts and experiences which You made during Your recent stay at Istanbul Gonen Hotel.

According to Your given feedback, we have to regretfully realize that we were not able to meet Your expectations regarding our hotel especially cleaning. Please allow me an opportunity to introduce myself. You may be sure that the necessary warnings are made and taken corrective and better actions for Your satisfaction… Next time You stay please allow us to upgrade your room to Suit room and a enjoyable dinner offer in our Hotel…

We hope to welcome You back to our Hotel in the near future that we will use as an opportunity to offer You further improved quality and hospitality to make Your stay a memorable one.

Best Regards,

Reviewed 21 June 2017 via mobile

I visited the hotel and it was a great one . But the real reason for my review is the help I got from the personnel after I left a document behind by mistake, not only did they find and keep it but helped me get it back .Thank you for your prompt response and action.

Stayed: June 2017, travelled on business
KorayCetiner, Genel Müdür at Istanbul Gonen Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 June 2017

Dear mariaandgeorge,

After Your last visit to Istanbul Gonen Hotel we would like to thank You for Your good comments and Your points on TripAdvisor about our hotel and staff…

Your overall satisfaction is what we aim for as a Hotel and as a whole team that stands behind it. Therefore we more than appreciate every suggestion, feedback and comment we receive; as it motivates and gives us the chance to develop and improve even further.

With the service understanding that we have developed, we will welcome You again in our hotel in the near future will honor us and be an oppurtunity for make You feel our Turkish Hospitality one more time…

Reviewed 27 May 2017

We stayed 4 nights during the Evteks fair mid May. The hotel is very near to the CNR Fair ground and Ataturk Airport, and location is everything in these big cities. Nevertheless the rooms were clean and the staff helpful. I would recommend it any time for CNR visitors.

• Stayed: May 2017, travelled on business
KorayCetiner, Genel Müdür at Istanbul Gonen Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 June 2017

Dear Mr. charliezy,

After Your last visit to Istanbul Gonen Hotel we would like to thank You for Your good comments on TripAdvisor about our hotel…

Reviewed 27 May 2017

I stayed first on May 3rd and 4th. because of prebooking I went back on 15th again. The 2 rooms I stayed both had toilet leak.

First night, they had to come to fix it twice, plus helped me shut of over noisy AC twice, So total of 4 service calls first night ,all settled until 1AM.

On the 15th stay(I still remember room number is 919), When checking in, I specifically addressed the toilet leakage problem and make sure I will get a different room--guess what? Toilet had slow leak again, I checked in midnight and was so tired, so I decided to leave it alone. Can you imagine on next morning when I found out there is no water to flush, I had to use shower head to flush the toilet?

On 15th night, It supposed to be a nonsmoking room, it is not--

On 9Am morning check out time, which is most busiest time I assume, I was going to address the issues, there were 4 customers waiting and only one clerk at counter and answering phone at same time. I had to catch the ride to airport, So I just left--

I could not find the hotel shuttle pick up location at airport, in spite of having both e mail and phone instructions. and it is every other hour. So I ended up using taxi every time. Luckily hotel is close to the airport.

Breakfast buffet is medium quality.

Fro sure, I will never go back again--

• Stayed: May 2017, travelled solo

Dear Mr. wluo999,

According to Your given feedback, we have to regretfully realize that we were not able to meet Your expectations regarding our rooms. Please allow me an opportunity to introduce myself. We have shared Your complaints with our Hotel Management to take corrective and better actions for Your satisfaction…

We hope to welcome You back to our Hotel in the near future that we will use as an opportunity to offer You the same and further improved quality and hospitality to make Your stay a memorable one.

Best Regards,

Reviewed 23 May 2017

I know that nothing stays the same but this hotel is sill good. It has been one of our base hotel from its opening, years passed, rooms became a bit tired but the rest - breakfasts, service - is at the same level. What i like also - is walking distance to the shopping center and supermarket.

• Stayed: May 2017, travelled on business
KorayCetiner, Genel Müdür at Istanbul Gonen Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 May 2017

Dear Mrs. Natallia-BY,