Hippodrome Hotel
US$144
Hotel Sultania(Istanbul)
US$153
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsaya sofiastay there againhotel managerexcellent locationmin walksultanahmet areastaff was very friendly and helpfulclean hotelstayed for nightsexcellent breakfasttram linearzuterracebosphorusferries
Reviewed 5 December 2011

We stayed at the Hippodrome for a week in November, 2011. The location is perfectly situated in the historic area and close to the major sites. We didn't stay in the main hotel, but had 3 rooms across the street at the Apt. The rooms were just fine, although the wifi was down the last 2 days. The staff at the hotel was very friendly and helpful. The breakfast at the sister hotel (Obelisk) down the street had many choices including fresh orange juice and an assortment of cheeses. What I liked most was the price. We only paid 150 Euros for three rooms!

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Blabbott
Reviewed 23 November 2011

My husband and I stayed at the Hippodrome Hotel for 2 nights prior to a cruise. We were in the room shown on the TripAdvisor page - very spacious, quiet, comfortable, and clean, with a modern bathroom and windows that overlooked the street scene below. The staff was extremely helpful and dedicated to making our visit easy and memorable. The breakfast buffet (complimentary) was at a larger hotel 2 doors away - a short walk for breakfast offering a wide variety of food choices. You can walk to most of the 'must-see' sites in Old Istanbul, or the hotel will arrange a taxi with a pre-agreed price to take you farther afield. There was always someone on duty at the front desk who speaks English, ready to answer questions, give directions, recommend restaurants and shops, make reservations, call a taxi, etc. The hotel was also very good about responding to my emails asking questions prior to our arrival. The neighborhood surrounding the hotel is very quaint and interesting, with lots of nice shops and restaurants. We will definitely stay there again! TIP FOR HANDICAPPED OR LOWERED MOBILITY VISITORS: The Hippodrome Hotel has 2 buildings, the main hotel plus a newer location with apartments a few doors away. Only the main hotel has an elevator, so make sure you email them and request a room in the main hotel. There are 3-4 stairs going down from the street into the lobby, but otherwise the main hotel is handicap accessible.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 November 2011

I've been 9 days ın thıs hotel and ıt's been great. Staff is so gentle. His name's Caner Arzu. Wıth an excelent bathroom and yakusı style bath. The breakfast amazıng, was almost the best food of the day, no joke. If I'd came agaın I'll book the same hotel and I'll recommend ıt to all my frıends.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank Nimt B
Reviewed 19 November 2011

I stayed in a triple bedroom at the Hippodrome apart in the second half of september 2011, on the corner of akbayik and mimar mehmet aga streets (actually the room was a overlooking the corner on the first floor), and although the stairs didn't give any positive first impression, the room was much better than expected, very clean, and an excellent breakfast not in the same hotel but another hotel (same owners) about fiifty metres away, but with a great view and excellent quality of food and service.

Room Tip: choose the triple bedroom overlooking the street corner on the first floow
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 17 November 2011

Very convenient Sultanahmet location. I stayed for 4 or 5 nights and felt very much at home.

They have two properties for Hippodrome. I stayed a couple of nights in the apartments and then moved to the main location a few doors down. Main difference seemed to be no AC in the apartments and slightly nicer decor in the main location. Rooms were small, clean and furnished with eclectic furniture and rugs. Truly nothing special, but I would stay there again if I wanted to be in Sultanahmet. Single room was about $100 US including a nice buffet breakfast that was better than many others I had in Turkey.

The desk staff started out friendly and throughout the stay remained very polite and professional. Something makes me feel that they lost a bit of interest in me when they found out I was not going to book tours or need much concierge service.

Room Tip: The apartments facing the street without AC could be viewed by some as noisy, but I felt like it gave me more of a feel for Istanbul.
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled solo