All reviews rooftop terrace blue mosque yogurt hagia sophia family suite grand bazaar every morning charming hotel perfect location within easy walking distance standard room old city breakfast was delicious spent nights main sites basilica cistern sultanahmet
Reviewed 29 October 2012

The staff at the hotel could not have been nicer or more helpful. The hotel is spotless. We enjoyed the rooftop breakfast with views of the Blue Mosque practically next door. A ten-minute walk brings you to the park between the Blue Mosque and the Hagia Sofia. The tram stops nearby which takes you across the bridge to the new part of the city - actually the tram takes you from Europe to Asia! There are some nice restaurants a couple of minutes from the hotel. Highly recommended!

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank macman1940
Reviewed 27 October 2012

The beginning of our 3 weeks in Turkey, with 4 nights in Istanbul. Eight friends travelled together. We had booked 3 std doubles, 1 std twin and 1 superior double at this boutique hotel.
The staff were very helpful and friendly, with good English, from the moment we all arrived, which was staggered over three different flights from early in the day to early evening from various locations.
Our rooms were all very clean and tidy, but I would suggest that you pay the little extra - I think 10 or 20 Euro per night to upgrade to the superior room from standard. The room is slightly larger, and contains a fridge. We were aware when we booked that the standard rooms were smaller, but when our friends saw our superior room, the difference was noticeable.
The majority of the time we were all out and about so not a lot of time was spent in rooms, but if you are the sort of person that likes to relax and spend a bit more time in your hotel than you may thank yourself having a little more space.
Each room was individally decorated which we soon realised is a very common trend in Turkey and part of the joy of choosing boutique style accommodation.
The beds were firm, but sleepable, which turns out to be the norm in Turkey, with very few 'soft' beds to be found.
Breakfast was always adequate and served in the beautiful location of the rooftop terrace. Sophia and the other staff at breakfast were always friendly and helpful, even with little English amongst some of them. It all adds to the fun, when trying to find ways to communicate.
After a certain time in the evening the front door is locked and the staff let you in as soon as you ring the doorbell, so you can feel assured that your safety is taken seriously.
My husband and I even had occasion to meet the Night Manager as I required a trip to hospital in the wee hours one night and he was extremely helpful in arranging transport and providing advice, with excellent English.
Sari Konak is in a great location in the old town part and very close to Hagia Sophia, Blue Mosque, Hippodrome, Bascillica Cistern. We walked everywhere, including all the restaurants in the nearby streets, You might like to catch a tram to the Bazaar or Spice Market.
All in all we really enjoyed our stay at Sari Konak and thank the staff for their service.

Room Tip: Choose Superior instead of Standard if you are happy to pay a little extra for a bit more space and fridge.
Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank Fun2Travel_7
Reviewed 19 October 2012

The property is very well located and the service friendly. The rooftop terrace has stunning views and is open for breakfast and bar service. We found it well-located to many historical sites. The room was beautifully decorated, included breakfast and had free wi-fi. The hotel was also a great value for the money. The only negative point was there was a bit of black mould in our bathroom. Other than that, we would have given the property 5 stars for the price.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank flyingpheonix
Reviewed 14 October 2012

I met my sister from Australia here on a special healing trip to recover from the death of her husband. We had the most fantastic time together in Istanbul, made even more
rewarding by staying at the Sari Konak. At first, we were put in a twin room as i'd booked online, but soon realised neither of us would sleep being at street level, the very kind staff offered us a free upgrade to a family room facing the inner courtyard. Lovely room, double bed and two singles, which you need for two ladies travelling spreading out their clothes!! (There is only a wardrobe, no drawer space). It was beautifully quiet, except for the call to prayer, which we found lulled us back to sleep anyway.
The hotel is small and unpretentious, the staff, particularly Mustafa and Hussain were really genuinely helpful and interested in us as people, not just fake conversation that you get from staff in many places.They arrange airport transfers, boat trips, refreshments, whatever you need and were always ready to talk about the culture.
The roof terrace is absolutely stunning, Blue Mosque on one side and the Bosphorus on the other. Breakfast is served up here ( except in the winter) every morning which is lovely. Fresh tea and coffee,eggs,cheese, bread, meat, fruit ,nuts, yoghurt, olives-perfect. In the evening early drinks are available up there, but its a quiet and relaxed place, not the least bit noisy. Wonderful place to see the sunset! In the day the cool inner courtyard surrounded by a high ivyclad wall is peaceful and just the place for a quiet relax after a day on your feet!
The Sultanahmet area is easy to explore on foot and this makes the hotel a brilliant place to come and go from. The area is'nt too manic, though there are quite alot of restaurants around ( not all good!) and we felt completely safe walking around in the evenings. For a late night cup of tea or coffee, highly recommend the Mesane, just up the road, huge open air local cafe, with live music,frequented by some tourists,but actually a lot of locals too smoking Nagiles, young muslim women out together, families with their babies, a really nice buzzing friendly atmosphere. Have to say the absence of alcohol is such a bonus in the way people socialize here. No drunken idots around at all!!
We had a fantastic evening at the cultural centre to watch the whirling dervish ceremony, truly mesmerizing evening. Well worth going to, the centre is part of an old hamman and is a round brick room with arch ceiling, giving great acoustics.
The boat trip around the Golden Horn and up the Bosphorus was really enjoyable too. Fabulous views of the bridges and a short stop on the Asian shore to taste the (local) best Yoghurt in the world!!
We also absolutley loved our wanderings round the back streets and especially near the Sulmaniyehe Moque area, very quiet( almost forgotten by tourists). If you explore a bit behind it you'll find the streets with the oldest wooden buildings in Istanbul, delapidated and some derelict, they are the remaims of a truly amazing old city.
Go down to the Galata Bridge and find the fish sandwich boats an amazing sight; freshly grilled fish being served in baguettes from golden boats all bobbing up and down on the water or go under the bridge itself to find numerous fish cafes and watch the fishing lines from the bridge above hauling in their catch.
Think you can tell we loved Istanbul! Got to go back and we'll be booking the Sari Konak again too!
Be brave and go off the tourist track a bit, your feet will hurt, but you'll love it!

Room Tip: If you are a light sleeper, then inside rooms facing courtyard are quieter.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank cathdupuy
Reviewed 11 October 2012

I stayed for eight nights at the Sari Konak and can highly recommend the hotel. The location is great. The staff, from the front desk to the breakfast servers, are helpful and friendly. The place is spotless. The attention to detail in the individual decoration makes this place a cut above the average. The view from the roof deck is perfect - the Hagia, the Blue Mosque,and the sea. And unlike some hotels, it is not a restaurant up at the top, but a lovely quiet area for the hotel quests to enjoy. They serve breakfast there in good weather and you can buy a glass of wine from the informal bar up there at night, but you can up there anytime you want and relax and not have a crowd. Downstairs is a lovely sitting room, vacant since the weather made the roofdeck the place to be, but it would be a lovely place for breakfast if the weather were bad. There is also a small and charming patio with brick wall (a hidden garden type place) that was cool and quiet on a warm day for us to do more trip planning.

The rooms are lovely. The bed are comfortable. The hairdryers actually dry my long, thick hair. I loved my room, which had a window seat and a wall of windows. My only caution is that the rooms on the front of the hotel are a bit noisy during the day and very noisy in the evening. They say it is on a quiet street but that just means no car traffic. There are restaurants on either end of the street and if you like to go to sleep before midnight, you can't without closing the windows and running the AC for some white noise. That being said, I still loved the room. I think I would take a room in the front again if I were going the summer or winter when I would not want the windows open, but in the spring or fall again, I would opt for a room in the back because I like fresh air.

Anyway, if you are not bothered by a hustle bustle of noise from restaurants then take a room in the front by all means. If you are at all sensitive to noise though, take a smaller room on the back. (I looked at one, and they are small, but no smaller than the rooms I stay in when I visit Paris, and between that living room for bad weather and that fabulous roof deck, you won't be hanging in your room a lot.) It is worth adjusting yourself to either the noise or a small room in order to stay at the hotel. I think it is that nice of a place.

Room Tip: Rooms in the back are quiet, rooms in the front are not quiet but larger and nicer.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple