“Eat before you go.”

Cuisines: Turkish
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Sisli
Reviewed 3 March 2018

I read an oldish Huff Post review of this place which made it sound hospitable, boisterous, generous and a good laugh. Actually, it was mean, nasty, grasping and embarrassing. And 70€ per person, which would be cheap if the purveyors of delight had an honest cell in their bodies. But they obviously don't.

The show was a bit like something the local am-dram soc. would put on if if it had a few good-looking female members who were desperate to show the world their bodies before they became completely un-showable (despite the fact they don't know one end of belly dancing from the other). It wasn't about performance, just display. OK if you like display. I felt awfully sorry for them.

Obviously, the 'all-you-can-drink' wine was going to be awful, and it was. I struggled through quite a lot of it nonetheless, despite the waiter's unwillingness to play the game. My more discerning friend stuck to raki, which is generically rather than variably vile.

The food, however, was unforgivable in a city where the food is, on the whole, absolutely wonderful: a sad and very chilly 'mezze' plate - yeah, right! - then a choice of meat, fish or chicken. I had 'chicken' (little cubes of indestructibly dry stuff in a sauce that tasted vaguely of stale 'curry powder' - I chewed on a piece for a while and then put it back on the plate) and my friend had 'fish' (a leathery fillet of mackerel which they cook so much better on the fish-sandwich stalls around Galata Bridge but, even then, spend much longer in a freezer than they ever spent in the sea). She got through it, however, which meant she could pass on the oddly flavoured baclava - how? why? in Istanbul where the baclava is ubiquitous and delish? - which constituted dessert. I ate most of that out of hunger but she took the higher moral ground and left it.

The embarrassing show then ended (unfortunately we had a great table and didn't miss a moment) and we were told that the lift home was about to leave. By the time we had finished our drinks it had gone. At this point, we were really, really tired of the waiter.

The trip home by metro was the high point of the evening - fun, and full of really nice, helpful people - as Istanbul mostly is.

Date of visit: March 2018

Reviewed 29 May 2017

Amazing and the Best in the world of Belly Dancing! A Must See place in Istanbul... Tasty dinner combined with Amazing Entertainment.

Date of visit: November 2016
Reviewed 1 January 2016

v less belydance. the girls come out 3 times for bellydance. food was no taste and too dry,, according to the place and food the price is way too high. hotel pickup service is good

Date of visit: October 2015
Reviewed 1 January 2016 via mobile

My wife and I are spending a week plus in Turkey, and were in Istanbul for New Year's Eve, 2015/2016. Once you get past the super-inflated New Year's Eve set menu pricing schemes endemic the world over, Sultana's is like many other "world-famous" places--not up to scratch, a bit (or a lot) over the top, and with food that's not all that good for the prices paid.

In short, the atmosphere was lively, the wait staff/service was excellent, but the prices paid were beyond the pale. As for the dancing, I expected more, and better (you get 3 individual dancers, 2 group dances, and some sort of skit about the Sultana choosing new girls for the Sultan).

Would I go again? No. But it it worth a visit on a non holiday, at normal pricing? Sure-depends on what your interests are. That said, I've read there are much better belly dancing venues in Istanbul, and I for one will take a doner kebab off a street vendor any day of the week.

Date of visit: December 2015
Reviewed 14 December 2015

Every time I have a trip to Istanbul with my friends, I suggest that we enjoy a night at
Sultana's 1001 Nights Show.

Date of visit: December 2015