All reviewsno liftgreat locationold cityrecommend this hotelhotel roombooked this hoteltram linecolumnsterracebosphorusheartluggageattractionstourist
Reviewed 11 January 2018 via mobile

We loved it! It's run by a family and even the employees are treated like family, and in turn, they ALL treat you like family! We loved it and we absolutely missed it when we had to leave! We called one of them from the airport as we needed help to get there and they were super helpful! Definitely going back there!

Stayed: December 2017, travelled with friends
Broken_Column, Satış Müdürü at Hotel Broken Column, responded to this reviewResponded 18 January 2018

Hello Piumie!
Thank you for choosing our hotel, and for taking the time to write a review. We look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel in the future.
Best Regards

Reviewed 21 October 2017 via mobile

...sadly, I don’t think I’d stay here again.

Firstly, we had booked a standard room, which from the photos shows a table and chairs and a larger room but I think we were put in an economy room (London room). We arrived at 2pm and the room wasn’t ready despite check-in starting at 1pm.

There was also no fridge meaning we couldn’t store our water bottles. The TV didn’t work properly either, which was fine as we didn’t really need it, but still should have been working.

The AC took a long time to reach a basic level of cool, which again for this time of year was fine but I don’t think anyone could cope with the level in the hotter seasons.

The room itself is pretty basic, which was expected. However, the wardrobe sliding doors didn’t work properly. There was also no bin in the room just a tiny one in the bathroom. The worst part is that the walls were paper thin. We could hear the TV in the next room, people’s conversations etc.

The bathroom itself was small but adequate but again the shower door was rickety and needed to be fixed. The shower parts came falling off and once in the shower, the water didn’t drain properly if there was soap suds in the tray.

The heated towel rail didn’t work and dripped water.

There was also one night where the whole of Istanbul had its water turned off until the next morning but we hadn’t been warned of this.

I would take your own hairdryer.

There is also no lift and winding stairs with the bannister on the wrong side. So, anyone who has trouble with stairs generally should avoid this place. It was precarious for us and we only had the one flight of stairs to deal with for our room (but three for the breakfast on the terrace).

The location is great - walking distance to most things (max 30 mins) and also near the tram line which fortunately is also the line with all the tourist hotspots. It costs 5 lira per person per journey regardless of how many stops you went.

The people in the hotel and generally in Istanbul are super friendly and helpful. If we looked lost we would get approached to ask if we needed help, which was lovely.

The issues were only discovered after we had unpacked which is why we didn’t raise it as we used this as a place to essentially sleep and shower. However, I think if the owner could get the place up to scratch, it would be a great little place.

Stayed: October 2017
Reviewed 12 May 2017

Have spent 4 nights there. I should say that hotel itself deserves 1 for rooms and 10 for staff. Entrance to hotel surprises a lot - little metal stair, similar as ladder in auto service, glass door with sliding mechanism, driven manually, but glass handle has sharp edges (have cut my finger once).
Room was dirty, dusty (lot of dust on the lamps, under carpets, under bed - terrible for allergic, going further, the bra above bed was not fixed to the wall, and was hanged on the wire! WC was leaking, and producing permanent noise. Towel were totally worn out.
Breakfast was pretty good.
Staff is only asset of that place - young man on the "reception", which is table with computer was very helpful and kind (there are two young men and two tables, I mean not the guy who sitting behind and playing games on PC, but guy who sitting in front of "hall").What else - TV in the room was not working, minibar was empty, bath accessories were given only after reminder.
What is real advantage with no doubt - it is location. Hotel is perfectly located in the heart of old city, very close to all attractions.
So if you don't have any alternative, careful enough, have no luggage and not going to spend more than 1-2 nights, I could recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: May 2017, travelled on business
Reviewed 28 April 2017 via mobile

I visited Istanbul and booked this hotel because of the reviews. I must say the experience from checking in to checking out was the best I have had at any hotel in years. We felt like we were home. The hotel room was as shown on pics. No surprises -Thank God. The owner immediately gave us information about the best places to see and venues that were closed or open - great time saver. Wifi was accessible everywhere in the hotel(very impt as we had no data plan). Complimentary breakfast was an amazing buffet that includes traditional items. The staff was particularly helpful even giving us a lift to the spa. My stay at Hotel Broken Column was in the range of too good to be true. In the end it was simply a nice staff that cared about their guests and that they had the best possible time. Will definitely rebook when I return

Stayed: April 2017, travelled with friends
Broken_Column, Satış Müdürü at Hotel Broken Column, responded to this reviewResponded 30 April 2017

Thanks for your nice comments
we want to see you again

HOTEL BROKEN COLUMN
Erdal CİFTCİ

Reviewed 13 December 2016

Don't believe the star ratings on priceline or booking.com.
This is a decent hotel. Clean, excellent location, friendly staff, but the rooms are very small, even by European standards. When you have to shuffle sideways between the bed & the wall to reach the bathroom, I don't think that warrants 3 1/2 stars. Other than the overblown ranking, this is a nice, clean hotel.

Stayed: November 2016, travelled solo