All reviews blue mosque great location annex building hagia sophia recommend this hotel the hotel manager tourist attractions the ground floor breakfast buffet quiet street hippodrome sultan tram
Reviewed 17 April 2018

Very convenient location - on a quiet street about 5 minute walk from the Hippodrome and not much further to the Blue Mosque and Topkapi Palace. Heading in a different direction, it is only about a 10 minute walk to the tram stop, and there is a corner shop on the street which sells great Turkish Delight. I had trouble finding the street in the first place - I approached from down the hill and there are lots of very badly-signed, narrow streets and I didn't have a great map. Really glad I wasn't trying to find this place for the first time after dark. It is much easier to find from Ucler, up the hill from the street it is in. Traffic jams in the little streets of this area were very, very bad - I hardly saw a car able to move - and I thought I knew what bad traffic jams were from living in fairly-central London. Definitely not a great hotel to bring a car to. The staff on reception were really helpful and the hotel is small and well-run. My room was very clean, wi-fi worked well in it, the breakfast buffet was meticulously prepared, there was plenty of hot water and the bed was comfy. Considering how centrally located it is, I thought the hotel's location was very quiet and peaceful. There are plenty of reasonably-priced cafes and restaurants round here: it feels a bit less touristy as you go down the hill too, which has both its good and bad points.

Room tip: If you don't mind the gloom, my basement room was quite big
Date of stay: April 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
1  Thank Tabitha-Traveller
Reviewed 9 April 2018 via mobile

Location of this hotel is wow. Literally minutes away from blue mosque, hagia sofia, arasta market, museum of Islamic art, McDonalds and much more. The corner shops also very useful.

We arrived around 1:30am Monday as our flight was delayed. We were given the keys and were shown the building to enter for our room, the young man did ask if we needed help with the bags but we were ok. We asked where we could find food as my children hadn’t eaten anything from around 5pm Sunday. We were told everything was closed and that we would have to wait until breakfast.
We went to the room to find that there was no drinking water but yes there was a kettle! So I started doing my research online for food places which do late night delivery and found places where they actually close at 2am including McDonalds which is 10 min walk away from the hotel.
We found hair on two of the beds and hair in tea cup. Also no phone in the room for you to contact the desk and as was pouring cats and dogs we waited until morning to make a complaint. When we did go in the morning to the desk we found a different person and related our experience from the night before to him. NO reaction other than ‘I’ll make a note’ and ‘you can use your mobile to call the desk’. When a phone in the room is in the enmities list. And I thought a humans BASIC NEED would be available in a hotel room. Also if you expect your bedding to be changed then don’t bother booking this hotel because that’s not in their daily schedule (cleanliness is not their priority). I can go on but I think this is enough.

Date of stay: April 2018
Trip type: Travelled with family
2  Thank Rozma S
Reviewed 9 January 2018 via mobile

I spent 3 nights there. I chose it randomly. Wanted a hotel in that area so I went and found this one and checked in a double room because it was the only one left. The rate was reasonable but I wanted less so I moved the 2nd night to an economy room located on the ground floor with only a door between me and the reception and dining hall which is all in one space and this bothered me a little when voices were raised while I was asleep. The 1st room (202)on the 1st floor was spacious(beds and sofa) unlike the toilet which was very small with a tiny basin and a high toilet seat.The ground room was a bed without a sofa since it is smaller and the toilet is reasonable.The main advantage of the hotel is that it is near Sultan Ahmed area. I forgot to mention the free strong wi fi. And forgot to mention that one of the staff tried to help me in finding a route to jog. Thanks.

Date of stay: January 2018
Trip type: Travelled solo
2  Thank khalkhalid58
Reviewed 5 November 2017

We were put into the annex apartment which is in need of refurbishment. It is unsuitable for infants as there are steep and dangerous steps into the apartment. The sheets were torn and there were no facilities other than a fridge and a kettle. The wifi was poor and unreliable. The whole place was scruffy and the bathroom in particular was unpleasant and not altogether clean. It is very much a 1 star accommodation and it was generally very disappointing.

Room tip: Do not accept the annex as it is old and needs refurbishing; it certainly does not qualify as an apartment.
Date of stay: November 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
3  Thank Trudie M
Reviewed 6 September 2017

Hotel Sultana House is located few meters from Blue Mosque, Hagia Sophia, Sultan Ahmet Mosque and ancient Roman horse-chariot stadium. The tram is about 1000 meters from the hotel.

The hotel itself is apartment turned into hotel and I would say it is 3-stars hotel. Price is extremely affordable and includes breakfast. There are few restaurants and grocery stores nearby which is a great help.

I would recommend this hotel because the staff take care of you. I wanted to see Istanbul by night, so, the receptionist came up with several package tours. I selected a boat tour with dinner by night. I did not make mistake. The dinner was healthy for both vege and non-veg clients. The drama and plays backed by Andalusian/Turkish music was pleasure to hear. Belly dancer could beat any dancer I have seen in Cairo, Egypt (the home of belly dancing).

From this hotel I also took a tour of Galata Tower from where legend says that the man took a flight in the 9th century and landed successfully about 2 kilometers away across Marmara River. He made his wings inserting eagle feathers.

I also took tour of cemetery of Imam Abu Ayub Ansari mausoleum. Ansari was the companion of Prophet Muhammed (PBUH) and was the chief commander of the army to conquer Constantinople.

Room tip: 2nd or 3rd floor. Do not choose basement rooms.
Date of stay: December 2016