“Excellent location,clean,friendly”

Ranked #92 of 1,224 Speciality Lodging in Istanbul
San Miguel de Allende, Mexico
“Excellent location,clean,friendly”
Reviewed 7 November 2011

My sister and I (both in our 60's) had spent a week in a nearby hotel before traveling on to Izmir. Upon our return we needed only a brief night's stay before catching a flight back to the States so we decided to try the hostel. It is in a great neighborhood near the tram, the train station,many historical sites, and great restaurants.They provide a free breakfast and evening pasta which we did not have time to try. The dorm was clean and quiet. The staff was friendly. I did not observe any "hustlers" as described by another reviewer. I would use their facilities again.

Room Tip: There is a girls' dorm,guys' dorm,co-ed dorm, and private rooms (which I did not see).
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank turkishraspberry

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
  • Indonesian first
  • Turkish first
Paris, France
Reviewed 29 September 2011

I like this hostel. The rooms are great and the young woman who manages the place is wonderful. The morning meal is free but very mediocre. They serve apple tea instead of coffee and often it is late. They offer free dinner but I never took advantage as it looked like some cheap pasta simmering in a pot. Istanbul has to much cheap but great food to suffer some badly made free pasta.
The thing that really got on my nerves is the number of young hustlers that work and hang out here. It was creepy. They hang around hoping to get lucky (they often do) and one asked if I owned a house and so on. Really creepy!

The electricity went off several times and I had a fear of being trapped in the elevator while it was off. Also the shower in the girls dorm always overflowed.

This hostel would be much better if the young hustlers were banned and the hostel hired some decent people.

The hostel is very clean but the woman who cleans the rooms and is in charge of making the breakfast is a bit unfriendly..not rude..just NOT friendly. Maybe it is the culture.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank michellemybell
Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed 26 July 2011

I love this place, been to Istanbul 4 times now and ever since I found this place, have only gone here. The price is one of the lowest, they serve a decent free breakfast and offer a free dinner every night.

I typically eat out and am not really "drawn" to such amenities but I do absolutely positively LOVE their roof top patio. It has free wifi that is fast and a bohemian feel, it's quite a decent size and above all else has stunning view of the Hagia Sophia.

Most rooms have lockers and the staff is very laid back and hands off. The gent who owns it also runs some stores at street level. They keep it clean and I always slept well. It's no the newest hostel out there but it's what I want. I sleep well and go for the patio, the patio is world class.

Oh yeah, other side of patio has a great view as well. Also like the location, lots of local places to eat and very close to the Gulhane tram station.

Rob aka http://stophavingaboringlife.com

• Stayed July 2011, travelled solo
Kent United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 May 2011

Me and my friends stayed here for 3 nights, we choose this hostel based on previous reviews and we are so pleased we made this decision. It was the perfect place to start our adventure around europe.

The atmosphere was fantastic, the staff was so friendly welcoming and helpful nothing was any trouble we had a great laugh with all the staff and other guests, we built some great friendships and I am very sure they will last.

The hostel itself is everything and more that you would expect from a city hostel.

The hostel is located within easy access to all major city transportation making all the major sights of this amazing city with ease.

This hostel was excellent in price, fantastic location and excellent staff.

I will be telling everyone where they need to stay.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with friends
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 1 May 2011

Harmony hostel in Istanbul was for myself and my friends the highlight of our summer traveling around Europe.
It is located in the heart of the old religious centre, within walking distance of the bus routes and main tourist attractions; mosques, spice market etc. Yet inside you feel secluded, the hostel is nestled behind an unorthodox entrance; a carpet shop! There is a stunning terrace which overlooks the mosques and the sea.

The service is the best I've ever encountered not just in hostels... the standard of hospitality offered is as good as any I've experienced in 5 star hotels, and is more genuine. This is thanks to Omar and Lucky 'Ugur' who are part of the harmony hostel staff and seem more like family. They will do anything they can for guests.

At night they transform the terrance, it is lit up and dance music gets everybody in a good mood. Omar pulls delicious cold pints of beer and sets up the traditional fruit flavored water tobacco pipes- very traditional. Everyone sits on Lucky's gorgeous crafted carpets and cushions and eats a great meal of Spicy pasta, courtesy of Omar. Amidst the buzz on the terrace peaceful spots are readily available, if you are not in the mood to socialize you can pull up a chair in your huge bedroom and take in the views of Istanbul at sunset.

Harmony hostel offers great value for money - it includes a traditional breakfast as well-
The atmosphere is one of tranquility, friendship and wonder. 'Harmony' is just that; a blend of excitement and relaxation and an underrated, underpriced gem.
.......................................................................................................................................................
There is a bad review on this trip advisor - it is unfounded. I never got a cold supper. And while the owner is not as welcoming as Omar and Lucky it is these frontline staff who you deal with on a daily basis. Any construction that was going on while those reviewers were staying was worth the small inconvenience - Harmony is a well finished beautiful place to stay.

Room Tip: Get involved, a great place for friendship!
  • Stayed August 2010, travelled with friends