“I can't believe they have 2 certificates of excellence from TripAdvisor! ”

Amber Hotel Istanbul
Ranked #86 of 1,173 Hotels in Istanbul
Reviewed 5 weeks ago via mobile

I hold TripAdvisor responsible for ruining our experience in Istanbul because of this hotel! We totally trusted the load of positiveI reviews here, and paid no attention to the relatively small number of negative reviews! Not when the hotel has two certificates of excellence from TripAdvisor!!! The two certificates are hanging miserably behind the reception desk, witnessing, like the "Best Western" logo, the extents of fraud some can achieve!!
I'm writing this review a month and a half later since our stay there and I'm still very upset about it, the whole family is. And because I came back to a load of study and exams, I thought I'd wait till I'm done then seek to contact TripAdvisor directly to let them know how their name and service is being misused, but I couldn't find a direct contact e mail. So here, I hope they read this review!

Where shall I start?

Location: in a very narrow and noisy street, its only positive point is closeness to the main attractions in the old city. But because the street is very narrow it gets blocked easily, don't set your alarm if you need to get up early, angry drivers in the street will take care of you!

Hotel Building: not detached as the photoshopped picture might make you think. It's crammed between very old buildings, some deserted. You will probably notice the "Best Western" group logo. Maybe the hotel was an affiliate at some point, but sure not any more, though they still take advantage of the name!

Reception: very small and very narrow lobby, I know the photos suggest otherwise!
and no you will not be able to notice the stained beautiful glass on the doors, it almost exists only in the photos, I mean because the colors are enhanced in the photos. Photoshop makes wonders!

Rooms: small like everything else. Furniture is very old and worn out, so are the beddings and curtains. Almost everything is broken, from the toilet paper holder in the bathroom, to the useless safe inside the closet.

Bathroom: old, dirty, and you get worn out towels. Also hot water can be in short. Seems like the norm in this hotel since another reviewer experienced this too.

The terrace/restaurant: I know how the photos look, I showed them to my tearful big kids explaining that I was cheated, that I really thought I got them a decent place, it's the photos that made them forgive me because everyone can be fooled the way I was!

Breakfast: disgusting!! Very few options, cold and unappetizing!! The hot drinks machine produces warm brown and black stuff that taste nothing like coffee or chocolate!!

Did I mention how noisy the corridors were? Yes, the kling sound that announces the arrival of the elevator might wake you up if you are a light sleeper like myself. Let alone if there's someone coughing or talking in the very narrow corridors.

If you decide to go to this hotel anyway, or wherever you stay in Istanbul, I have a last piece of advice for you: if you want to get on a day guided tour, which is recommended, avoid purchasing tour tickets from the hotel, they will charge you at least double its price, e.g. 80 TL instead of 40 TL per person, in tour offices you buy what you want for the reasonable real cost, and cut the middle man/hotel.

I feel I need to emphasize that this hotel was our only bad experience in Istanbul, everything else was very beautiful, and definitely worth visiting. I loved the old city and its unique style, colors and smell.
Turkish people, the vast majority we met and dealt with were super friendly and nice.
Would love to go again, just will have to be more careful about hotel choice next time!

Stayed: November 2017, travelled with family
2  Thank Nana j
Alihan A, Sahibi at Amber Hotel Istanbul, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

We're deeply disappointed to hear about the experiences you faced during your time with us.
At first I want to tell you that I have two hotels in Istanbul. One of them is still member of Best Western Hotel Cahin and it is in top 50 hotels in Istanbul on Tripadvisor.
The Amber Hotel was one of the first Best Western Hotels in Istanbul / TURKEY and it was member of Best Western for about 20 years.
In begining of the 2017 we decided to leave from Best Western for Amber Hotel. In 2016 and 2017 in Turkey there were many political and economic crisis and attacks. In Istanbul many hotels were closed or suspended their facilities. But we decided to continiue with same quality & standards. And now we are in top 80 hotels in Istanbul on Tripadvisor. Every year Tripadvisor send certificates to hotels and noboby get them without real reviews. And they are orginal certificates which you saw on behind the reception desk.
-Location : In Istanbul there are two main places. One of them is Sultanahmet Area ( Oldcity-historical) which we are located. In our area most of the building are historical and you can not change buildings. Our building was one of the olsed building and it was orginal bank building.
With your pictures we understood that you stayed in 205 and it is one of our family rooms. In opposite of Amber Hotel there was a hotel and last year there was a fire in that hotel so we can not do anyting this view. We applied to every officer department in Istanbul to cover this building.
-Noisy : As we can understand you did not complaint anything during your stay. If our guests want to change their rooms they can notify reception and they can change their rooms. But you did not request anything.
-Logo : We do not use any Best Western Logo in or in front of our hotel. Also The Best Western does not accept to use their logo. It is unlawful to use their any logos and it has big penalty.
When we left from Bes Western Hotel chain, we and Best Western office informed to all of our partners.
-Rooms : When you check in our front office gives informations about hotel and Istanbul. And also our bellboy shows everthing in the room what you want. If you would like to use safe in the room at first you should ask to reception or bellboy and they will tell you how you can use.
We are in this field because we love dealing with people from all over the world.The employees at our hotel have all been here no less than 10 years with more than half of us here over 15 years. We are a family and we treat our guest as family.
Photos: During your stay you could show differences between images & what you see.
- You took your room pictures after one day you check in.
- You took safe-box picture, we do not understand what you want to mean?
- You took Windows picture, what was wrong.
- You took another hotel’spicture opposite us which was fired last year. We can not do anything for it. We still waiting their renevotion.
- You took a hall pictures, which one our second exit for laundry, our staff and management. I think you should take thin picture in day, not night.

There are just some things we can't control and we do the best we can but no matter what...... it's impossible to please everybody.
Tours & Tour Guides : In reception you can find the brochures about tours, restaurants, cities, attractions, Turkis Baths and etc…All of them have been selected carefully and have certificate from Ministry of Tourism Turkey.
All tours with professional tour guide, licensed by the Ministry of Tourism. There are lots of illegal tour guides in streets with no license and insurance. They are working only with commissions from your shopping.Maybe you liked them. But we can not recommend them.
We take all the complaints very seriously and constantly work on improvements.
We, at Amber Hotel Istanbul, constantly strive to achieve high standards of service and regret that we failed to meet your expectations.
There may have been a mix up in communication and ability to contact you. Please provide an email address so that a member of our team may contact you.
Regards

Reviewed 12 December 2017 via mobile

Amber hotel excellent service. Staff is very welcoming. Spacious room for family. Great atmosphere and beautiful attractions from the terrace. Variety of food, for breakfast to choose from. Very close to main attractions and special thanks to Mr Yakup and Nesim. Will highly recommend to others and will be choosing this hotel and service again.

Stayed: December 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 7 December 2017 via mobile

Fantastic staff at Amber Hotel. Perfect room for stay in a busy city. Close to shops etc. Nice and clean hotel. Great breakfast and service from young man Halil. Beautyful view from terrace. Worth it to try this hotel.

Stayed: December 2017, travelled solo
Alihan A, Sahibi at Amber Hotel Istanbul, responded to this reviewResponded 8 December 2017

Dear "Dzidziuniz18"
We're pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay at Amber Hotel Istanbul.
It's wonderful to know that our comfortable accommodations and prime location left a lasting impression. We truly appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts with us. We look forward to hosting you again the next time you're in town!
Best Regards

Reviewed 6 December 2017

A very clean and great hotel with all sorts of facilities available. The entire staff is super friendly and hospitable, making the customers happy. The dining hall on the terrace provides a splendid view which makes breakfast very fun. Housekeeping service is always on time, it feels great to see that our rooms were already made when we came back from outside. The place is in a good location with lots of places to eat, and is close to tourist attractions such as Blue Mosque, Grand Bazaar and Hagia Sophia. A great stay at the hotel and would definitely recommend it to anyone visiting Istanbul :)

• Stayed: December 2017, travelled with family

Dear Ayesha,

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts on TripAdvisor about your recent stay at the Amber Hotel Istanbul.

I was happy to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and found our hotel perfect for your needs while visiting Istanbul. Thank you for your kind comments about our spacious, spotless guest rooms, and our extremely helpful staff. I will be sure to share those comments with everyone.

We look forward to hosting you again the next time you're in Istanbul!

Warmest regards and Happy Holidays
Best Regards

Reviewed 6 December 2017

The hospitality at the Amber hotel was incredible, the staff made me feel at home and gave me a warm welcome. The rooms are really clean and the beds are super comfortable.The location here is fantastic. Once you step out of the hotel you won't be disappointed when it comes to finding your way around, the Blue mosque and the grand bazaar are walking distance.The terrace at the hotel is breathtaking you really feel the city of Istanbul with its scenic views that show the blue mosque and views of the sea. The staff at Amber Hotel are exceptional!!!! Can't wait to come again.
-Amal

Stayed: December 2017, travelled solo

Thank you for sharing the wonderful review with us, Ayana!

We're happy to hear that you had such a pleasant stay with us! It was our pleasure hosting you.
It's great to know that our comfortable rooms and service had such a positive impact on your stay. We love providing our guests with great amenities and services and we're happy that you had all that you needed.

Thanks again for sharing, and have a lovely day!

Warm regards,