“a pretty but rather characterless international hotel”

Cinnamon Grand Colombo
Ranked #5 of 51 Hotels in Colombo
Somerville, Massachusetts
“a pretty but rather characterless international hotel”
Reviewed 3 March 2012

amazing restaurants (Chutney's), beautiful pool and opulent and delicious breakfast buffet. our room was non-descript and smelled like mildew. we arrived at 3 a.m. and did not have the wherewithal to complain about it, but next time, we'd stay at casa colombo and just cab it to chutney's for food. they certainly charge a lot for drivers, if you ask about one, so make sure you negotiate. we ended up taking public buses everywhere and were very happy about that.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank tbosak
Cinnamon-Grand, General Manager at Cinnamon Grand Colombo, responded to this review, 6 March 2012
Thank you for staying at Cinnamon Grand Colombo.

We appreciate your feedback and glad you enjoyed some of our facilities.

We hope you will have a better experience with us, perhaps on your next visit, and look forward to welcome you back.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (744)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Stockholm, Sverige
Reviewed 3 March 2012

I've stayed at many, many hotels over the world and many of them have been 4 or 5 star. I think the star grading system is lacking: to me there are many things a 5 star hotel has that I wouldn't need, and sometimes there are 3 star hotels that have extra friendly service, extra large beds and extremely clean bathrooms - and that could very well give me a 5 star experience. Anyway, on to the Cinnamon Grand:
I think the overall look and smell of the entrance oozes 5 star. Some of the restaurants, the complimentary items in the room, et cetera, do the same. And the breakfast was nice, even though it didn't quite measure up to the European breakfast standard I'm used to in Copenhagen and Sweden, for example.
The pool was clean, the steam bath nice. And so on.
BUT the hotel does lack in the details: The rooms are aging (moldy bathrooms, dirty paintings on the walls), the gym area is too small (the smallest changing rooms I've ever seen!), and the fact that Internet costs is just laughable. I've been travelling around Sri Lanka for a month and even at 1 star guest houses along the coast you can expect to find free Wi-Fi. Why a 5 star hotel has several Wi Fi networks and charge 6$ plus tax per hour is beyond reasonable to me. So, a tip: go to Crescat (the mall) next door and enjoy their free Wi Fi instead.

We had lunch at Echo once, enjoyed it very much. Dinner at London was great. I used Cinnamons airport taxi service (5150 rupees) and had an ok ride to the airport, even though I wanted to yell to the driver that YES I'd already heard every other driver in the city talk about those gem stones, and NO I really am not interested... ;)
We enjoyed coffee and cafes at the Coffee Stop several times and enjoyed talking to the staff there, and we really liked the string quartet in the lobby. The room was comfortable even though, as mentioned, it was a bit aging.
Check in took a long time and I actually became a bit upset as they kept talking to my husband about the charges, even though I had made the reservation - in my name - and I was the one who was going to pay. Check out took even longer and the guy helped a man in front of me in line, me and the man after me at the same time - trying to be efficient but really just annoying the three of us instead.

All in all: I would stay here again, absolutely.

Room Tip: I stayed in the right side wing and had a view of the pool. I guess those are the older rooms? Worke...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Thank you for staying at Cinnamon Grand Colombo.

We appreciate your detailed review on TripAdvisor and glad you enjoyed our service, facilities, location, restaurants etc. Our chefs are pleased to hear you enjoyed their culinary expertise and hope to welcome you for more.

We have also taken note of your comments on the issues raised and will take corrective action where possible.

Thank you for your review and we look forward to welcome you back to Cinnamon Grand in the near future.

Best regards
Hamilton, New Zealand
Reviewed 25 February 2012

This hotel is well located and is divided in two parts/wings: a new renovated area, behind the reception area and what I would call the “old wing” to the right of the main reception.
The old wing is clean comfortable with choice of pillows, mini bar and a good bathroom. The only issue with the “old wing” is …. Well… it is getting tatty, old and in need of refurbishing. However, this did not distract me too much for a comfortable stay and sleep.
They have available interconnecting bedrooms that would suit families with young children.
There are several very good restaurants within the hotel, one of which “The Lagoon” serves outstanding fresh seafood course cooked in YOUR cuisine style (Chinese, India, Sri Lankan, Thai, European etc….) Prices are a little bit above average but well worth it. Booking is recommended if you want to get a table.
A word of caution: As in most restaurants in Sri Lanka, the cuisine offered is rather spicy (use of Chilli) which, apart from dedicated fans, could play havoc on european stomachs. As long as you give clear instructions, they will cook your food to YOUR liking.
The hotel staff is courteous, smiling and willing to help. Although I did notice some gaps in services provided, but nothing of great significance that would warrant complaints to management.
A great swimming pool is available, that I did not have much time to enjoy. It is unfortunately plague by crows and other birds dropping their business on unsuspecting customers. Stay clear of the under trees……
The only real negative complaint is the cost of internet provided by the Hotel: US$30.00 per day quoted!! Outragious compare with readily available ISP providers like Dialogue.
Otherwise, overall I was very please with my stay and would go back again.

Room Tip: ask for the renovated wing of the hotel.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank FlyingKiwiNewZealand
Cinnamon-Grand, General Manager at Cinnamon Grand Colombo, responded to this review, 27 February 2012
Thank you for your stay at Cinnamon Grand Colombo. We very much appreciate your encouraging feedback and pleased to know you enjoyed our location, facilities, service, choice of restaurants etc.

As regards your comment on the internet charge, we wish to point out that it is US$15.00 and not US$30.00 as indicated by you. We are pleased to inform that as of 01st April, we hope to reduce this charge to US$10.00 per day, for the benefit of our valued guests.

Once again we thank you for your patronage and look forward to welcome you back at Cinnamon Grand, on your next visit to Colombo.

Best regards
Sydney
Reviewed 25 February 2012

This place is trying to be something it is not! Yes, it is fine...a nice hotel, not far from the Galle Face Green (about 200m) and not a bad ambience. However, it is attempting to be like one of the grand 5 star hotels of the world and it just doesn't meet the mark.

What do I mean? You have to dress up to go to dinner, there is a grand open foyer, it towers over the surrounding buildings....but the foyer is not well air conditioned, the entrance is too small and cars pile up, the rooms are nothing special and the executive breakfast (which I snuck into...oops) is no different to the main breakfast- in fact there may even have been fewer options. The room was not well cleaned either (room decorations very dusty for example).

I suggest not bothering with Executive rooms, just ensure you are in the new section and ask for a standard room. Or stay in the Galle Face Hotel- much less salubrious, but for the same price you can get a suite in the old section (Classic wing) which has a little class and history at least.

Room Tip: Don't bother with Exec rooms- just ask for a refurbished room
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Peripotetic
Thank you for staying at Cinnamon Grand Colombo and for your feedback on TripAdvisor.

We look forward to welcome you back, should you visit Sri Lanka in the future.

Exmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 February 2012

Smart hotel catering for business and passing tourist trade. Lovely pool, helpful staff and good food. Large, so a liitle impersonal, but would definitely stay there again if in Columbo.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
Cinnamon-Grand, General Manager at Cinnamon Grand Colombo, responded to this review, 25 February 2012
Thank you for your stay at Cinnamon Grand Colombo.

We are pleased that you enjoyed our service, facilities and food. It is a pleasure to know you will stay with us again and we assure you of our best in service and hospitality.