“My Residency in Colombo”

Hilton Colombo Residences
Ranked #11 of 54 Hotels in Colombo
Westchester, New York
“My Residency in Colombo”
Reviewed 18 February 2012

Stop 1, 2 nights on a 14 night tour of the country.

Knowing that snow can snarl the best made plans when traveling out of NY in the winter I wanted a reliable, familiar brand, cancelable hotel for my first 2 nights. Initially expecting to pay I eventually used Hilton Honor and chose this one over the Hilton Colombo Hotel. I thought it good use of points considering price point, included breakfast and hefty SL accomodations tax! Fortunately there were no delays in getting here.

The large amount of space, the better review of the pool and what seemed like a more central location persuaded me. The pool is in the shadow of the building most of the afternoon....and was overrun by some little girl’s birthday party the Saturday afternoon we went down to it. Despite that we had excellent quality lunch by pool (with typical Hilton prices) with an attentive server.

Since the two things we really wanted to do was to explore the National Museum (which we walked to and from) and have a sunset cocktail at the Galle Face Hotel / walk the sea front area that Saturday evening, the location was great and central to both.

2 bedroom suite with weird layout, large foyer with 2 chairs and a little table and then a dining table/ are for 6 !? Big separate kitchen. Reliable Hilton bedding appreciated after a long trip. 2 well equipped bathrooms with no plumbing or bathroom issues or surprises. Large safe in room for laptop.

Very prompt and courteous responses when I couldn't figure out the washer/dryer and when I asked for a softer, flatter (feather) pillow.

Nice breakfast spread.

Beware! The elevator opens on each floor to an open air hallway and there is a step at the threshold to every unit that we tripped on more than once! There was also a slight step down to the bathrooms to keep in mind.

A great start to an enjoyable and interesting visit to SL.

Room Tip: NOTE: The 2nd bedroom of the 2 bedroom units only has one twin bed.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
GeneralManagerHCR, General Manager at Hilton Colombo Residences, responded to this review, 25 February 2012
Dear jwsmd3,

Thank you for reviewing Hilton Colombo Residence, we are most delighted that you enjoyed your two nights with us and your Sri Lankan holiday.

We truly appreciate your feedback on our suite and comfort level, service, facilities and food offerings. Indeed, it is very pleasing to know that your requests were met promptly and courteously.

We thank you for staying with us and hope that your travels will bring you back to Sri Lanka and the Hilton Colombo Residence in the future.

Manesh Fernando

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (163)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 15 February 2012

Came to colombo for wedding with family. Stay here was fantastic. Had a 3bm suite with all amenities included, even a washing machine/dryer which was very helpful. Quite clean and tidy. Staff always friendly and willing to assist. View from our room was great. Didnt use kitchen but it was well equipped. Kids loved the bean bag and bed sofa. Will definately recommend to all families travelling here and will stay here again when we come back toColombo. Pool area, gym, restaurant facilities available. Staff definately make you feel welcome. Very beautiful country.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
Dear Narelle S,

It is a pleasure to know that you enjoyed your stay with us and our hospitality.

Thank you for your kind feedback on our suite and amenities, our facilities and especially my team and their service. I am most pleased that you were well looked after throughout your stay, and that your children were comforable thoughout their visit too.

Once again, it is a pleasure knowing you enjoyed your stay and we hope you will visit us again in the future.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 February 2012

I stayed here in May 2011 while on holiday with my Mum, a friend and my sister and her family. I was a little unsure about booking this, as I thought it would be very corporate, especially as my sister has 2 small children. However, the staff couldn't have been more welcoming and accommodating, and they were happy to assist with every request.

The suite (2 bedrooms, a living room and a balcony) was large and very well maintained, and being a residence hotel, there was a kitchenette and laundry facilities within the room.

My only reason for giving 4 stars rather than 5 is that the food was expensive for what it was. It certainly isn't the best food to be had in Colombo or Sri Lanka in general, but it was the most expensive.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the lakes, especially if you are there during any kind of festival
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled with friends
GeneralManagerHCR, General Manager at Hilton Colombo Residences, responded to this review, 17 February 2012
Dear KarinaJ74,

Thank you for reviewing your stay with us from last May, we are very pleased that you and your family enjoyed our suite and hospitality.

I appreciate very much your valuable feedback on our food. My team and I are indeed reviewing this and will take the necessary steps to improve on our quality and offerings.

Thank you once again for reviewing Hilton Colombo Residence, especially for your kind compliments to the team and our service.

Manesh Fernando
(+94 (0) 777 772525 / Manesh.Fernando@hilton.com)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 February 2012

Thisis a hard property to review as everything was very good except for one item. Overall the rooms are very well equipped with good bathrooms, showers, comfortable beds, eating and cooknig areas, washing machines and furniture. They are very comfortable indeed. Staff are warm and freindly, and the breakfast is excellent with a mixture of local and international dishes as expected, done very well. The staff could not be more welcoming or helpful. We laso had room service a few times and it was always good. We were there for a wedding in the city and overall our party have several rooms, which the staff did well to generally co-locate. Outside there is a supermarket with good range of items and good prices. THe property is really well located.

The problem for me is security. Whilst it is electronic card access to get through the doors to the lifts for all floors, once inside you have free roam of the floors. More modern security limits you to just te flooors you should have access to. I believe this residence needs the same as there is a clear prostitution problem within the building. I was approached in the lift by a Russion protitute coming down from the Penthouse floor. A complaint was made to the front of house staff. A couple of days later the same worker and "colleagues" were seen inside the secure area again and another complaint raised. At this point the staff admitted there's little they can do about if it the guests are bringing them in, or allowing them in.

That being the case, I strongly suggest that the hotel prevents access to anyone not a guest for a period. Anyone visting would need ot be collected by the resident at the door and taken up - or given a card so they can only visit a single floor. Perhaps having to collect the protitute may deter the clietns calling them.

As a result, despite the good staff and facillities, the security for the hotel and the hookers make me give is a low mark. I would not want to bring a family here.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank Stephen_Lloyd
Dear Stephen_Lloyd,

Thank you for choosing Hilton Colombo Residence for your stay in Sri Lanka, I appreciate the feedback you have posted on TripAdvisor.

Your comments on the team members and property – showers, beds, amenities and the breakfast experience are valuable.

As for guests who stay with us, we always notify them of any visitors prior to sending them to the suite. This is a practice that has been strictly enforced as our guests’ security and privacy is of utmost importance to us.

I would firmly like to state that prostitution is strictly prohibited in our property. We may not control whom the guests bring to the property, however, such movements are clearly monitored.

I apologize for the discomfort you may have felt and I thank you for your feedback. I welcome any feedback directly on +94 (0) 77 7772525 or Manesh.Fernando@hilton.com

Warm Regards,
KL
Reviewed 29 January 2012

The first thing to note is that these are suites, mostly, with 3 rooms. You even get a washing machine and full kitchen. To this, add the Hilton brand and great staff. So, if value for money for, say, a family of 5 was measured, there is simply no contest, this place wins hands down.

If you discount value for money (thats like discounting air during a trip), this place still is great, mainly due to the charming, hospitable and professional staff. The staff actually actively seek your feedback AND take down your comments in little notebooks and follow up the next time they meet you. I have not seen this in too many places. The level of competence is high and staff seem able to respond to queries.

The building is may be a little old , but has been reasonably refurbished and is therefore more than comfortable, not unlike your own home (unless you renovate your home every two years). Refurbishment seems to be ongoing and when it is done, I suspect this place is going to be very contemporary. I liked the fact that they are quiet discreet about the refurbishment/reconstruction and most guests will never know that they have quietly done some serious construction work (including a brand new ballroom).

Overall, a clear 5 star property waiting to get even better once the work is complete. I will surely want to return and see that.

Room Tip: Ask for the see view.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
GeneralManagerHCR, General Manager at Hilton Colombo Residences, responded to this review, 3 February 2012
Dear KT785,

I am most delighted by your kind review of Hilton Colombo Residence. Thank you for your feedback on our suites and amenities.

Thank you also for your generous compliments to my team. We place the utmost importance on making sure all our guests are comfortable and their needs tended to throughout their stay. Getting feedback from guests such as yourself is just one of the ways we continually strive to make a difference.

I am also pleased that you appreciate the transformation our hotel is undergoing. My team and I certainly agree that our hotel will be even better once it is complete!

We certainly hope that you will visit us again once the renovations are complete and look forward to welcoming you back. Please feel free to contact me directly through my details below, I would be happy to receive any further feedback you may wish to provide.

Manesh Fernando
(+94 (0) 777 772525 / Manesh.Fernando@hilton.com)