US$29
Ali Backpackers(Vientiane)
TripAdvisor
All reviewsfloating restauranteco lodgetubingaccommodationsam
Reviewed 21 February 2015 via mobile

We loved staying at the Rivertime Resort! We stayed in a private bungalow looking over the river and the price was super reasonable. Barnaby took such good care of us and was incredibly helpful! Normally it seems to be a quite & relaxing place, but we met some other young travelers staying there so we all went out to the local bar and had a blast! Just lovely! Highly recommend!

Stayed: February 2015, travelled with friends
Reviewed 18 February 2015

Myself and a fellow volunteer stayed for one night at this resort and we really wish we could have stayed longer. We were welcomed by the manager Barnaby and shown to our guest houses which were spacious with very comfy beds. There are lots of different activities to do like tubing, kayaking and taking a dip in the pool, as well as other boat trips to places which can be organised if you just ask. We did the cookery class which was so much fun and great value - we cooked so much we had to share our food with 4 other guests.

We took the boat over to the neighbouring bank to see a beautiful Budhist temple. Then one of the ladies from the lodge restrurant, took us on a 15 minute walk to meet about 20 members of her family and cooked us food. It was such an experience, as it was a Saturday night we got to see lots of the locals enjoying the beer Laos and dancing in their houses - I had no idea they loved to dance so much!!

The next day we took a walk in the forest behind our lodge, I have never seen soo many butterflies - we saw over a dozen different species.

So to sum up our stay - the Rivertime Lodge is definately one to visit to relax and learn more about Lao culture, cooking and to meet the lovely local people, who were so welcoming :)

• Stayed: February 2015, travelled with friends
Reviewed 16 February 2015

We spent 3 nights at the rivertime and would have stayed much more if we had more time. The place is a little paradise in itself, perfect to chill out near the river while discovering a little bit more about Laos and it's culture ( half the staff are pure Laos and are happy to help you learn about their country, or even teach you how to cook local, they don t speak a lot of English but it just make the experience more fun, and Barnaby is never far if we need help). It s easy to take a bike / moto and discover the real Laos, it's beautiful landscapes, get lost in small villages and meet some locals. And at night, if you re in for quite a party, there s a famous karaoke bar around. you ll probably be the only western but, that s why you re in Laos no? so go take the mic and make us proud! Locals are very nice and welcoming! If you re too shy, the floating restaurant is also a very nice place to chill, with tasty meals. anyway, I strongly recommend this place and thank you again Barnaby!

• Stayed: February 2015, travelled with friends
Reviewed 2 February 2015 via mobile

We spent 2 lovely restfull days in our lodge and on the floating restaurant. We had the the feeling to be almost part of laotian life. The place does need some work done, true, but as Barnaby stated, this is Laos. The grilled fish with vegetables was absolute perfect said Margot.
Hope to visit again Marianne

Stayed: February 2015, travelled with friends
1  Thank Marianne D
Reviewed 7 December 2014 via mobile

Our stay was enjoyable although there were a few disappointments. We were looking forward to kayaking (it had a hole and was unusable,) tubing (only one left,) taking the bikes to explore (flat tires and unusable.) But we were still able to swim in the swimming pool which was fun, but beware there is a strong current and if your not a strong swimmer it might take you pretty far. The rooms were ok, there was a giant termite nest in our bathroom and a huge open hole to the attic (with God knows what kinds of creatures.) The maintenance on the place obviously lacked for paying $38 a night. While trying to take a picture of the sunset I fell through the deck of the floating restaurant, luckily not completely, just one leg. But it left some pretty gnarly bruising the rest of my time in Laos. One of the staff came up and showed me a scar spanning her entire shin from when she fell through (I consider myself lucky.) After traveling throughout southeast Asia a little more We realized it is extremely over priced!
All that being said, Barnaby is very nice, welcomed us with a beer and a conversation. I enjoyed how all the guests sat at the same table to eat dinner and chat. And luckily we had some books to bide our time and relax from hectic traveling. He also has a book exchange there which is always a perk.

• Stayed: November 2014
1  Thank snowmeiser
BarnsLaos, Manager at Rivertime Resort and Ecolodge, responded to this reviewResponded 8 December 2014

I agree and apologise for things not being up-to-scratch while you were here. I am having a lot of problems at the moment since my two English-speaking staff left a couple of months ago and I'm finding it hard to find anyone else so am having to do almost everything myself.

When running a resort, especially in rural Laos, off the tourist trail, it can be hard to keep everything perfect all the time.

The kayak has been fixed, we now have 5 tubes and the bikes are fine. I naively bought nice bikes in Vientiane not realising that their valves were not the same as the common ones used outside the city. As a result, I have to go to Vientiane to buy new inner tubes and the roads here are obviously not great so punctures happen quite often...

The tubes for river tubing that had been punctured were punctured by guests and my staff had not informed me that they were so. This is Laos...

The kayak had a hole in one end due to my staff dragging it around the restaurant rather than lifting it despite me having explained it several times. I cannot be everywhere at once unfortunately.

Since we are off the tourist trail, we are not packed every night and the floating restaurant is a highlight but is also very expensve to maintain. We make a loss almost every month and have invested heavily in repairing things and replacing things but materials and workmanship are terrible in Laos, especially in rural Laos. I also get ripped off by the locals for their work since I have a white face but I have no choice if I want things repaired. Such is life out here...

As a result, given that $10 of the $38 pays for your breakfast, $3.80 (10%) goes to the government and $2 goes to our community development fund, I have to disagree that it's expensive. I know how much Westerners earn and I know how much hotels etc cost in the West...it works out at 2-3 hours' wages for Westerners.

I find people want as much as they can get for as little as possible, which I understand, but if people want real "ecotourism" to succeed then they have to help fund the costs. We have donated books to three local schools, built a water system for one local school, helped fund sports programmes for local schools etc etc.

Anyway, I'm glad you think I'm nice. I really do try the best I can!