“Good quirky hotel”

Beau Rivage Mekong Hotel
Ranked #9 of 97 Hotels in Vientiane
Reviewed 14 January 2018

Stayed here for 4 nights, room was large with nice retro feel, the owner , an Aussie, (we all have our crosses to bear ) was very helpfull. The bar / rest next door “the spirt house” was very good, huge choice of food / drinks, the breakfast was a little meager was my only criticism.

Room Tip: Rear of hotel, as road noise.
Stayed: January 2018, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 12 November 2017

This small quaint hotel is just perfect for the International traveler. Located right along the Mekong River, hotel staff is exemplary. Having stayed there several times over the years the owners,Gordon and his wife Bee are exceptional warm people with a heart of gold!

Room Tip: Room 303 Overlooks the Mekong River, balcony suite. I make reservations well in advance to have it r...
  • Stayed: October 2017, travelled on business
Reviewed 9 November 2017

very nice rooms, modern and traditional at the same time; very well equipped
air condition; coffee machine
good beds
With view on the Mekong River
Very friendly staff
Nice Restaurant with local food
good breakfast

• Stayed: November 2017, travelled on business
Reviewed 11 April 2017

I spent two nights at the Beau Rivage on a recent trip to Vientiane, one at the beginning of my trip and then another on my final night before flying home. I was travelling with friends, and we all loved the place. Although I was excited to explore more of Laos, I sincerely wish I could have lingered for a few extra nights at this charming hotel—and I surely will on my next visit.

From the moment you arrive, you'll know you've discovered a real gem of a place. True, there is no elevator, but the very friendly staff are on hand to carry your luggage up to the room. And Lucky, the affectionate lobby dog, always ensures a warm welcome!

Vientiane is small enough to adequately get around on foot, but the hotel provides complimentary bicycles so you can explore the heart of town on two wheels, if you prefer.

Our room, on the second floor, with a light blue color scheme and amazing view across the Mekong to neighboring Thailand, could not have been more inviting! Sitting outside on the balcony, watching the sunset, was as perfect a way to start a visit to this fascinating country as you can imagine.

Just in front of the hotel, the atmospheric waterfront sidewalk is lined with a long string of open-air restaurants, where you can have an al fresco dinner or, perhaps, a few too many ice cold bottles of Beerlao.

If your timing is right, you can even wander right down to the riverbank itself, which exposes an inviting sandy beach during the dry season. I started each morning with a dip in the refreshing waters.

But it was our last moments at the Beau Rivage that endeared the place to me forever. We had arrived back in Vientiane the night before and checked out the next morning. Because our flights were much later that evening, we made our way towards the Buddha Park outside of town. Unfortunately, halfway to the park, my travelling companion started to feel very sick. We got off the bus and wound up taking a tuk tuk back to the hotel, as her condition got worse and worse.

We asked if we could "rent" a room for a few more hours, so that my friend could rest and, hopefully, improve before her flight. Although the hotel was fully booked that night, the staff didn't miss a beat. They knew that one guest wouldn't be arriving until the evening, so they put us in his room. Then, one of their staff—a former army doctor—evaluated my friend and set off to get medicine. They allowed us to stay in the room all afternoon until my friend's flight, and when we approached the desk to pay, they refused to take any money, neither for the room nor for the cost of the medicine or services. My friend actually started to cry at their hospitality.

Needless to say, any time I'm back in Vientiane, I wouldn't stay anywhere else. The hotel has an amazing location, quirky decoration and—above all—an incredible owner and genuinely kind staff who strive to do all they can for their guests.I can't wait to return!

• Stayed: February 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 8 January 2017

Nice Boutique Hotel over the road to the Mekong River, rooms on the front cost more but have a better view over the river, However in December when we visited the river was very low and quite a way off.

Our Room was very "blue" and rustic in decor and everything all in one room, ie the kitchenette area, washbasin and bath/shower behind a screen in the bedroom (loo separate). Ample water was supplied along with tea bags and milk - all very welcome. (We did not encounter any adverse smells).

The room did get hot in the daytime, but had a good fan in it. Also as you were on the front you had to keep the roller blind down when changing or at night.

The one issue we had was the noise from the mobile restaurants that set up over the road each night, when they packed up the shouting went on until after 1am, and the hotel has a policy complying with local laws that you have to be in by 12 midnight so we were obviously in bed. Also the rubbish truck comes along around 4am and also woke us up.

There is no lift and we were on the third floor so it was a bit of a climb up the steep winding staircase at the end of each day, but the staff carried our bags up on arrival and departure which was the main thing.

There is no reception to speak of, just a staff member at a small desk, no safe in room but there is a safety deposit facility which you can use and put your valuables in the hotel safe.

The Garden is rather small and was in the shade when we sat in it one afternoon.

Wifi available in the room, but it was a bit patchy, TV was ok.

Staff were pleasant and overall we enjoyed our stay here.

Breakfast is taken in the restaurant next door and was very good, on the second day my husband was ill and I asked them to bag up the fruit, it came laid out really nice in a container so that he could eat it later.

Location is only 5 minutes walk away from the local night market and resturants, along a well lit street, all felt very safe.

• Stayed: December 2016, travelled as a couple