“Cockroaches, toilet seat problems, OCD owner.” 1 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Fancy Guest House
Ranked #16 of 333 Phnom Penh B&B and Inns
Mebourne
“Cockroaches, toilet seat problems, OCD owner.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 February 2012

I highly do not recommend staying at the fancy guesthouse. Staying there recently as part of tour group, we were subjected to switching off our power (and not switching it back on unless asked), obsessive compulsiveness for cleanliness i.e. wiping computer immediately after I have used it, despite this I still had cockroaches in my bathroom. Furthermore, fellow travelling companions had an incident where the toilet seat was removed by the owner and it was claimed broken by the guests when infact the owner had deliberatly removed it himself. He acted in a quite rude and confrontational manner infront of other guests. I WILL NEVER STAY AT THIS GUEST HOUSE AGAIN.

Room Tip: Don't go to the Fancy Guest House.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
Torquay, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 February 2012

Spot on! There to meet us at the bus, helped to organise our trips to The Killing Fields, S-21 and The Russian market all at a cheap price. Great restaurants nearby, including 'Friends'- our favourite restaurant out of all the ones we've visited in S.E. Asia.
Then helped to sort out a bus and accommodation in Siem Reap- all the staff really went above and beyond all expectations!

Room Tip: The rooms with no windows are absolutely fine- and much cheaper!
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
the Netherlands
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 February 2012

My husband and I have been to Phnom Penh on three different occasions, and the Fancy Guest House is always where we choose to stay. Its very positive TripAdvisor reviews took us there the first time, and we were so delighted with everything about it that we have been back twice.
Its location could not be better. Yes, the street in front is not paved (I was told that there are plans to fix that in the near future.), but almost all the sights and lively bits of PP are within easy walking distance. The riverside (cafés, evening dance sessions) is a five-minute walk through a bustling, authentic, and totally photogenic market. The Royal Palace and the Silver Pagoda are a short walk south along the river; Wat Phnom 20 minutes walk in the other direction. Central Market is also close by. The only time we needed a tuktuk was for our visit to S21.
The rooms at the Fancy are comfortable and very clean, simply and tastefully decorated and lacking for nothing. We always choose one of the back rooms, as these are the quietest, especially when the neighbourhood disco is livening up. I understand that the balcony rooms are very pretty, but a good night's sleep is most important to me, so a lack of (real) windows is absolutely fine. Guests leaving their shoes downstairs also makes for a peaceful stay, especially with all the tile used in Cambodian establishments.
Above all, it is the warm welcome by Mr. Phannak and his colleagues that makes this a wonderful place to stay. Mr. Phannak remembers his former guests, answers his emails quickly, and is always interested in his guests' experiences and impressions. We needed no tours or drivers - we tend to do all our organising via Internet and through local travel agents - and although I think Fancy management might have been happier had we done it through them, they remained polite and attentive.
The Fancy is a great little Guesthouse for a great price. I hope we'll be back soon!!

Room Tip: We like the rooms at the back. The twins are spacious and quiet, so perfect for a light sleeper like...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 February 2012

After a few mishaps the first night in Phnom Penh I decided to change places and called the Fancy Guesthouse. Right from the beginning Phannak was nothing but courteous and friendly. I have been here a few days and a few more to come. The whole experience has been terrific and the location could not be better and the area and guesthouse are safe. This is a small family run guesthouse and they take great pride in their establishment. The rooms are clean and because I was not feeling well I asked for a quiet room which is exactly what I got. I also did not want to pay more than $15US (beyond my budget since I am traveling solo for a few months and he agreed to give me a room that he normally gets $20US for $15 so that I could have the peace and quiet I needed). I highly recommend the Fancy Guesthouse. And... as a little bit of trivia, the first week that the guesthouse was open Elton John stayed over, unbeknownst to Phannak. Finally, I have heard that tuk tuk drivers sometimes do not take you to the place you want to go to in Phnom Penh so.... if you really want to get to the Fancy Guesthouse call them and they will send a driver to the airport to pick you up. I have been very pleased and hope you will too!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
Lyndoch, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 February 2012

We are long time supporters of The Fancy Guest House - they made our stay last year so enjoyable. If you are reading this then you might be considering staying there. If you are a web page designer then Mr Phannak needs some help. His web page was built and is hosted by an Aussie guy who has fallen off the edge of the radar! Phannak can't get hold of him and being Aussies we thought we could find him but after 12 months of trying we can't find him (even his Facebook friends can't find him!) So if you know how to reclaim a website and fix up a minor email link issue from the form submission then you will be Mr Phannak's friend for life ;-)

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple