“Best Dining Experience Of My Travels” 5 of 5 bubbles

Samaky
Ranked #290 of 1,326 Restaurants in Phnom Penh
Cuisines: Asian, Cambodian, European, International
Good for: Child-friendly, Kids, Cheap Eats
Dining options: Breakfast, Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
London, United Kingdom
“Best Dining Experience Of My Travels”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 March 2012

The first thing that is worth mentioning is that this restaurant is part of the "Friends" programme which means they employ young adults from underprivileged backgrounds who have undergone training at a "Friends" facility. (I learnt that from the menu)

A tip - if you feel like a more informal dining experience then ask to be seated in the upstairs lounge, it is a cushioned area that looks out over the restaurant and benefits from a breeze and a couple of fans, not to mention the fact that the cushions make you feel like you could snuggle up and sleep after every course, in a word, relaxing, in two words... Incredibly relaxing.

The Drinks were served very promptly and as a sign of things to come the service was always pleasant with a friendly smile, I can recommend the smoothies with fresh fruit, the starters were delicious and the main course was amazing.
I had the Fried Chicken with mango and Cashew nuts, and I have to say it was one of the best meals I have ever eaten, if I could have fit it in my stomach I would have had another serving.
I did however have room from Chocolate and banana spring rolls for desert (an odd sounding combination I know) and managed to pinch some of my gf's Chocolate cake and really, words cant describe how good they both were, they were so good I actually felt bad for everyone who has never tried them.
Eventually we both just laid back on the cushions, stuffed with unbelievably good food and relaxed, both content in the knowledge we had both just had one of the best meals and dining experiences we have had and are likely to have on our travels.

At 25$ for the two of us (including, drinks and 3 courses each) the budget traveller in me knew I had committed a sin, but the common sense in me (as well as my taste buds) knew that was the best 25$ I was likely to spend in Cambodia, if not Asia.

I have never written before, and usually will only write one for a hostel if its negative and I feel compelled to warn other people, so the fact I have written this may give you an idea as to how impressed I was with the food, service and atmosphere of this place.

• Visited March 2012
5 Thank LewisTheCritique

Hong Kong, China
“A place you would want to keep going back to...Don't miss”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 March 2012

Great place, just opposite wat lanka. In the 3 weeks out at Phnom Penh, we ate here atleast thrice a week. The food is always consistently tasty, lots of choice of drinks and cocktails. a very comfortable atmosphere and great service.

Special mention is to be made of our dimple cheeked Rotha, a great asset to the restaurant.
don't miss it when in Phnom Penh

• Visited February 2012
1 Thank ayeshasitara
Phnom Penh
“A Good One”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 November 2011

This is the newest place on the 278 "Golden Street" but might already be the best. A busy corner turned into a nice atmosphere, excellent service and good quality food across a range of styles at a very reasonable price. Cannot ask for more

• Visited October 2011
2 Thank brians1195
Phnom Penh
“Very pleasant surprise”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 November 2011

On the corner of 51/278 near Wat Lanka this is in a rather touristy location. Many restaurants were closed due to the waterfestival holiday and we ended up here after checking out a number of places that were all closed for the holiday. We did not have high expectations but just wanted to have a quick lunch. It ended up being a very pleasant surprise and we all agreed that we will return to Samaky. Service was very friendly, with a big smile and our kids were treated as their favourite customers. The select-your-own-ingredients salad is an excellent choice with fresh ingredients including asparagus, delicious avocado and poached egg. The pasta with mushrooms and spinach was great and the ham-cheese sandwich is just much better than what you expect from a ham-cheese sandwich - all highly recommended, very decent prices and the draught Angkor is poured into glasses from the freezer - great!

• Visited November 2011