New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Nathan Horton Photography - Day Tours

Nathan Horton Photography - Day Tours
Ranked #24 of 109 Tours in Phnom Penh
More attraction details
Owner description: Nathan Horton Photography offers photographic workshops, field trips and short tours in and around Phnom Penh and further a field in Cambodia. A combination of teaching and practical experience in a number of different stimulating environments is designed to help participants to take better travel photo's whilst also getting to see Cambodia in a much better way. A real emphasis is put on engaging with local people.
Sydney
“Outstanding....just book it!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 January 2012

If you’re a little bit uncertain about whether or not to sign up for a photo tour with Nathan, I can assure you that you won’t be disappointed. I’ve just spent 4 brilliant days with him and have been privileged to get an insight into both the beauty of Angkor Wat, but just as importantly, into the warmth and kindness of ordinary Cambodian people. Nathan not only speaks the language, but also has the ability to engage and relate to people and put them at their ease. As a result, you’ll come away with brilliant photos that not only show the ‘postcard images’ but also include the spirit and soul of the people who have very little materially, but so much in terms of the best of human nature. It’s genuinely been a humbling experience for me, and so much more than a ‘photographic tour.’ You’ll be touched by everything you see and I wouldn’t have missed it for the world.

Simon P

Visited January 2012

UK
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 23 helpful votes
“Look no further...”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 January 2012

Travelling in a small group on a photographic tour of Vietnam and Cambodia, Nathan was our trusted guide to the culture, the places, the people, and to the art and ethics of travel photography.

In a group of mixed skill/background photographers, Nathan helped us all to develop our photography in a very tailored way - giving each of us enough time, advice and encouragement to make better pictures. Moreover, he led by example, showing us how to get involved in a scene, get personal with our portrait subjects to inject life and emotion, aswell as the ethics and conscience of photography whilst travelling.

If you want to learn about the technical aspects of photography, Nathan will cover how to use your camera from the basics to advanced features and practical shooting scenarios and how to set-up your camera for them. He can also cover the aesthetics around composition, lighting, texture, etc. Very practical advice from an experienced photographer - and likely something to learn for even the most seasoned of photographers.

His enthusiasm and deep involvement with the local culture made our trip extra special, as there is much more depth to what and who we got to see, and were able to avoid the hoards of tourists - photographing Angkor was made that much easier by Nathan knowing where, when and how to get the right shots and able to get us access when and where others may not. And it was great to see just how warmly everyone welcomed Nathan (and consequently us) - it was clear that he has built up trust and friendships here that are invaluable for this kind of thing.

Personally, I found Nathan's advice and encouragement around photographing people up close and personal to have moved my photography forward in this area considerably - but not just that, I felt a lot more involved with the people and enjoyed the trip that much more because of the interaction with real local people.

If you want insight and connections with the local culture, people and places, or you want to develop your people or travel photography, I couldn't recommend Nathan more - you'll have a fun time, learn a lot, and come away with better photos than if you were just there on your own.

I would definitely go on another trip with Nathan.

Bristol, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Totally absolutely amazing!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 January 2012

In November, I joined a group for a photographic tour of Cambodia with Nathan as our photographic teacher and guide. It was one of the best trips I have been on. Nathan has lived in Cambodia for a number of years and it was clear that he knew the country incredibly well, but not only that, he loved his adopted country and it's people. We travelled off the beaten track and met local people who we would have never met with a standard tour company. Many of the monks, nuns and village folk greeted us with enormous warmth due to the close relationships Nathan has built up over the years. Our trip to Angkor was amazing, Nathan knew the temple complex inside out and guided us to the best sites, sunrises and sunsets (away from the tourist trail) that allowed us to take amazing photographs. Throughout the trip Nathan was a brilliant teacher, patient (especially as I was a hopeless novice!) and gave constant feedback on how to get pictures that I have always dreamed off! I have improved my photography skills (both in learning how to use my camera but also on how to appreciate lighting and composition) more than I ever thought I would. Finally, Nathan was a total inspiration. He is a great photographer with impressive credentials, but more than that his humour, kindness and social conscience meant that we saw and appreciated Cambodia in a way that was more than just taking photographs in an abstract way. Watching him interact and engage with the local people in a way that I would have been too shy to do without his guidance led to more amazing photographs. The whole trip was one I will never forget! If you are in Cambodia, don't miss out on one of Nathan's trips!

2 Thank Bush A
San Francisco, California
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Simply Amazing!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 January 2012

Wow, for all photographers-from truly the beginner with just a point, and shoot to a full blown DSLR with all your gear... You will not be disappointed! Highly recommend the tour. Tour sounds so pedestrian for this fun and fast paced (or as slow as you like) guide through time. I can see why we Westerners would like to revisit this place. Nathan travels paths that are not full of tourists and times these day trips so you won't miss a thing. He is just as excited about taking you around as if he just discovered it last week! He has an eye for the unique and knows what shots you want. I got compliments when I got home with my pics and most say, "it's like Nat Geo"! Cool!

Visited December 2011
Christchurch, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“superb photographic opportunities & guidance”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 January 2012

I joined a group of 4 others for a photographic tour of Cambodia with Nathan Horton as tour leader. I could no have wished for a better leader, either as a person or as a guide who really knew his way around for taking great pictures or as a photographic tutor. We got to see places and to meet people that the ' normal ' tour would not have made possible. As a tutor he gave some workshops & was always willing to answer any questions & to demonstrate but also showed so much by example. He was an inspiration. I have been a keen amateur photographer for many years but I learned a lot. He was equally good with those in the group who were relative beginners. I very much hope to do another tour with Nathan.

2 Thank Peter T