New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Nathan Horton Photography - Day Tours

Nathan Horton Photography - Day Tours
Ranked #24 of 109 Tours in Phnom Penh
More attraction details
Owner description: Nathan Horton Photography offers photographic workshops, field trips and short tours in and around Phnom Penh and further a field in Cambodia. A combination of teaching and practical experience in a number of different stimulating environments is designed to help participants to take better travel photo's whilst also getting to see Cambodia in a much better way. A real emphasis is put on engaging with local people.
Bristol, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Totally absolutely amazing!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 January 2012

In November, I joined a group for a photographic tour of Cambodia with Nathan as our photographic teacher and guide. It was one of the best trips I have been on. Nathan has lived in Cambodia for a number of years and it was clear that he knew the country incredibly well, but not only that, he loved his adopted country and it's people. We travelled off the beaten track and met local people who we would have never met with a standard tour company. Many of the monks, nuns and village folk greeted us with enormous warmth due to the close relationships Nathan has built up over the years. Our trip to Angkor was amazing, Nathan knew the temple complex inside out and guided us to the best sites, sunrises and sunsets (away from the tourist trail) that allowed us to take amazing photographs. Throughout the trip Nathan was a brilliant teacher, patient (especially as I was a hopeless novice!) and gave constant feedback on how to get pictures that I have always dreamed off! I have improved my photography skills (both in learning how to use my camera but also on how to appreciate lighting and composition) more than I ever thought I would. Finally, Nathan was a total inspiration. He is a great photographer with impressive credentials, but more than that his humour, kindness and social conscience meant that we saw and appreciated Cambodia in a way that was more than just taking photographs in an abstract way. Watching him interact and engage with the local people in a way that I would have been too shy to do without his guidance led to more amazing photographs. The whole trip was one I will never forget! If you are in Cambodia, don't miss out on one of Nathan's trips!

2 Thank Bush A

San Francisco, California
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Simply Amazing!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 January 2012

Wow, for all photographers-from truly the beginner with just a point, and shoot to a full blown DSLR with all your gear... You will not be disappointed! Highly recommend the tour. Tour sounds so pedestrian for this fun and fast paced (or as slow as you like) guide through time. I can see why we Westerners would like to revisit this place. Nathan travels paths that are not full of tourists and times these day trips so you won't miss a thing. He is just as excited about taking you around as if he just discovered it last week! He has an eye for the unique and knows what shots you want. I got compliments when I got home with my pics and most say, "it's like Nat Geo"! Cool!

Visited December 2011
Christchurch, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“superb photographic opportunities & guidance”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 January 2012

I joined a group of 4 others for a photographic tour of Cambodia with Nathan Horton as tour leader. I could no have wished for a better leader, either as a person or as a guide who really knew his way around for taking great pictures or as a photographic tutor. We got to see places and to meet people that the ' normal ' tour would not have made possible. As a tutor he gave some workshops & was always willing to answer any questions & to demonstrate but also showed so much by example. He was an inspiration. I have been a keen amateur photographer for many years but I learned a lot. He was equally good with those in the group who were relative beginners. I very much hope to do another tour with Nathan.

2 Thank Peter T
Baltimore, Maryland
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Nathan is simply the best photographer to tour you through Angkor Wat!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 January 2012

I have traveled on many photography tours with a variety of known photographers. I enjoyed Nathan the most. He is extremely easy to get to know and his warm personality immediately opens up a world of possibilities. He is not shy in showing his most prized camera settings and is genuinely interested in your results. Because Nathan lives in Cambodia, he is uniquely qualified to get you places. And, he is friends with many of the local monks and nuns which provide excellent photographic opportunities. Other photographers and tourists not on our tour were attempting to capitalize on Nathan's programming - sorry folks!
When traveling to Cambodia, stop your google search and contact Nathan Horton - you'll be in great hands.

Ross Flax
Baltimore, MD

2 Thank rdy2click
Bristol, United Kingdom
“A very special experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 January 2012

We visited Cambodia with our two children, the highlight was definitely the photography tour we took with Nathan. We visited places which didn't feature in our travel book , the communities visited were genuinely please to see us, we were greeted and allowed into the lives of local people. The relationships which Nathan has formed with these people made all the difference, it gave us a true understanding of Cambodian culture and from a photography point of view very natual photographs in relaxed situlations. My husband had a new camera... Nathan made an excellent tutor in how to use it to capture great shots. The course certainly enriched our stay.

Visited December 2011