“An Experience (strange but nice)”

Pyongyang Restaurant
Ranked #278 of 1,735 Restaurants in Phnom Penh
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 6 August 2018

I have read about this restaurant and I wanted to go just for my curiosity. The result was extremely recommended. Food is average good but the spectacle (even a bit 60's) is great. The waitress are at the same time, the dancers, singers, .... Spectacle starts at 19.30 and finished before 21.00. One last advice, don't try to give a tip. They won't accept it

Reviewed 2 June 2018

I heard and read quite a few reviews about the restaurant, and I finally dropped by with a few friends while in town.

The restaurant was laid out like a typical Chinese restaurant with a stage. The waitresses wore light Hanbok (korean dress) and took orders mostly in slightly accented Mandarin. Our waitress eyed us ratherly suspiciously when we spoke in English. The menu was filled with an amalgamation of Korean and Chinese food, with the odd dog stew (unordered thus unsampled). I would say most items are overpriced in this place, but you probably already guessed it.

Still, the kimchi pancakes and seafood omelette were surprisingly tasty. We had a plate of stir-fried intestines which was delicious but chewier than old tires. Slightly disappointed by the lack of North Korean beer - we had South Korean Soju instead (fancy that).

The main highlight starts around 730-ish after the first few plates were served. The waitresses gave a warm up song and dance, distributed bouquets of plastic flowers to each table (Hell, I thought I was given one for being cute). A chubby girl sat behind the drums and delivered a heart-thumping solo. There were dances in traditional costumes; look out for the thin but dazzlingly beautiful girl who is the designated "spinner", her part of the dances include several whirling solo (think of a female whirling dervish you would propose marriage to, in a heartbeat)

Dragging on into the early evening, you would sample 60s karaoke korean songs (imagine very tamely-dressed Korean pop groups), a saxophone solo of "The moon represents my heart" by another gorgeous girl, and some more song and dances with electric guitars (we caught one girl finger-syncing to the music) and accordion (the national musical instrument for DPRK).

Overall the night was enjoyable; the food was great and the performance, enjoyable.
And although photography is forbidden during the performance, you can still take a shot with the waitress before you leave.

Reviewed 7 June 2017

First of all, I have been here once for lunch.

And, tried Pyeongyang style cold sweet potato noodle and fried rice with egg.

Pyeongyang style cold sweet potato noodle ( 평양냉면 ) was really nice taste for me.
And, I would like to recommend it to all who reads my review.

There will be two kind of cold sweet potato noodle.
One is with cool water ( with some sources ) and the other do not have cool water.
I tried cool water style. And, may be without water will be hot and spicy. And, my explanation is just for your reference.

But, fried rice with kimchi and egg was a bit hot and spicy. It was usual taste like in South Korea. It was not my taste. :)

Staffs ( from Pyeongyang ) was beautiful and kind. They served whole time while we finish lunch. And, I tried not to mention about political issues.

I wish I visit here again, and next time, I will see their show in evening time.

2  Thank Youngmo K
Reviewed 20 May 2017

I went there because it would be one of very few opportunities to meet a North Korean. While some others have commented that they felt ignored and felt that it might have been because they were from Western countries, I did not feel that way. I felt they were quite friendly, especially considering that the place was full and only a handful of girls had to run the entertainment, change costumes repeatedly, and act as waitresses. The girl who played the yanggeum (Korean dulcimer) and the girl who played the drums were amazing. If you consider that all the girls could speak Korean, Chinese, and at least a little bit of English, and could dance and play instrumetns and wait tables well, it is truly amazing. I was given a bouquet of flowers used during the show at the end by one of the girls (although I wasn't able to take it home). I have spent a lot of time in South Korea and in Asia in general and I can speak Chinese, so maybe I felt less culture shock in general and was able to understand some of what they were saying with other customers. They could speak English also, some more than others, but that was ok, because if one could not understand or respond well, she could get another. The restaurant is connected to the North Korean government from what I have read, the girls might come from elite families, the politics might be distatsteful, but a stand alone review should give it a very high rating. The girls were very remarkably talented and were friendly, the bibimbap was terrific. The hors d'ouevres were not remarkable, but I can't think of any time in my life where I got a show, a meal, and a cultural experience for 15 dollars including a glass of ginseng wine.

Reviewed 27 March 2017

North Korean Style restaurant with good service. There are private rooms on second floor with karaoke sing possible.