“Excellent”
Review of Luan Vu Hotel

Luan Vu Hotel
Reviewed 25 April 2009

I have travelled a lot in my time and I can say that this place was excellent. Clean and friendly, the staff were superb and the lovely lady even let me borrow her USB for a day as mine let me down. There isn't really a social place as such but it's right next to a bar which is really good - I will def return here if I am in HCMC again!! Plus free internet and breakfast!!

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled with friends

Reviewed 15 April 2009

I suppose if I hadn't stayed at Bich Duyen before, Luan Vu would have gotten a higher rating, especially in the service & staff categories.

I booked a 3 night's stay, double bedroom. One day before arrival, I received an email saying for the 1st night we have to sleep at another hotel due to the noise created by cemeting. We were okay with that. On the 2nd day, we were supposed to move back to the original Luan Vu, double bed. But the lady at the counter said the lady in our room has not checked out due to stomachache. So she asked us to take the twin room and pay the higher price. I felt that we were penalized when it wasn't our "fault" so I said we would really want our double room. She then said we can stay at the twin at the same price, but the 3rd night, we have to move to the double or pay the higher price.

On the 3rd day, I called reception to enquire if our double is on the same floor, or else, we were too lazy to have to move places every day, we'd rather pay the extra for convenience. To my surprise, a very nice guy on the phone said "Oh no, you can stay there, we wouldn't want you to move places every night, no extra charges." It was Mr Cam Thi.

I didn't get the chance to meet the boss - Mr Cam Thi of Luan Vu much. I suppose he would have given a better service.

My comparison between Bich Duyen & Luan Vu:

Cleanliness: Both were very clean

Aircon: Luan Vu's triple room has an aircon dysfunction. My friends had to bear with the "sauna". Please take note. Their twin room aircon was working fine.

Staff: Chanh (Bich Duyen) is extremely helpful and is very geniune! He helps to carry bags, load bikes, get us cabs. (You can find my review under Bich Duyen). The ladies in Luan Vu aren't so genuine, it's a feeling we got.

Location: Both were good.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 27 March 2009

Chose this GH because of the other reviews and they were all right. This guesthouse has great rooms and offers good value in an excellent but still quiet location.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 February 2009

We stayed here for 3 nights in February 2009. The hostel is clean, comfortable and very good value. It is in a good location. The staff are extremely helpful - they brought us up the road to the correct bus when we had booked a day trip, they made us breakfast for the trip too. They booked a taxi for us when we had to go to the airport and paid the taxi driver in advance so we didn't have to argue over fares (Vietnamese taxi drivers will try to rip you off). They gave us good advice on visiting the sights in HCM too. All in all, higherly recommended!

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank GromitDublin
Reviewed 22 February 2009

This little gem in the middle of the vibrant backpacker area is just perfect for those looking for a quiet & secure accommodation but not fussed about the frills. We spent a total of 3 nights here, 2 before a Meking Delta trip and one after.

It is a guesthouse run by wonderful staff with great English skills who will do their best to make your stay enjoyable. The rooms are basic, but we opted for one with a window for $27US per night including a light breakfast and it did have both a ceiling fan and air conditioning. The bathroom is just a single 'wet room', but it did dry out very quickly.

As per most guesthouses, it does not have a lift so be prepared to lug your bags up many flights of stairs or ask for level one when you book. It is located in a little alley off Bien Vu street so is relatively quiet, but still right near all the cafes and night life of De Tham street.

The thing that impressed me the most was how clean it was. All guests are asked to leave their shoes downstairs so the tiled floors throughout remains spotless. I can highly recommend this guesthouse for other travellers not interested in frills but wanting a clean bed for the night.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled with family