“I am no longer in the dark”
Review of Noir.

Noir.
Ranked #8 of 4,372 Restaurants in Ho Chi Minh City
Price range: US$21 - US$29
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: After-hours, Private Dining, Reservations
Description: Think of modern society and images of shining cities and glowing screens come to mind. Every facet of daily life depends on sight. How would your other senses react to dining in complete darkness? You will discover the stunning truth about how people tend to experience food with their eyes, rather than their mouths. Noir. Dining in the Dark offers dining in a pitch-black dining room where you will be guided and served by our team of 11 blind or visually impaired staffs who have been specially trained to assist and reassure sighted guests. Transfer your trust to these skilled guides as they lead you to experience a new way of sensing the environment around you. On offer are three mystery set menus - from the east, from the west and vegetarian, and surely our Chef and his team are able to cater for food allergies and dietary restrictions. This is not simply dining, but rather a uniquely mind-altering experience where smell, taste, touch and hearing unite to bring you a completely new journey of the senses! Last order at 21h30.
Reviewed 20 July 2018 via mobile

This was one of the most creative interesting and delightful dining experiences of my entire life. There are number of workers who are visually impaired or hearing impaired. Be prepared to eat and absolute pitch black single point light is available. Everything is tactile or auditory. Give you a whole new sense what the world is all about and even give you insights into your friends and colleagues that are quite insightful, just a bit of humor. Food was high level gourmet interesting fusion. I have absolutely no comments or complaints about the service which was exceptional.

Germ D, Owner at Noir., responded to this reviewResponded 28 August 2018

Dear Robert,
Thank you for your very kind comments in your review and it was a pleasure welcoming you to share this unique dining experience with you.
I am glad you liked the dinner from service to food. At Noir. Dining in the Dark we are very proud of our service and it is always a pleasure to know we achieved our goal: providing a unique experience to our guests and meet every guest’s expectations.
It was our pleasure to have served you and we are really glad that not only did you enjoy yourself thoroughly, you also got to understand more about the blind staff and how their world is like.
It would be lovely to welcome you back again, looking forward to it,
Germ

Write a ReviewReviews (1,740)

Reviewed 18 July 2018 via mobile

The staff are super friendly and professional. Sign language was used in the waiting lobby and we were given a fresh cocktail on arrival. Also in the lobby we were given a block puzzle and attempted to fit the pieces while blindfolded. This was good practise for the dining experience as your bowls come out different shapes and you fit them to the trays. Each dish was a taste sensation and we enjoyed trying to guess the ingredients. I loved the dark but then i love to meditate. Afterwards you are shown images of the dishes. Really enjoyable experience.

Germ D, Owner at Noir., responded to this reviewResponded 28 August 2018

Dear Marie Peace,
Thank you for your review and for having dinner at our restaurant. We enjoyed welcoming you.
I am delighted you liked the dinner and what a pleasure to hear such nice comments about the Noir. Dining in the Dark and our team members.
Good to know you enjoyed the brain-training game before dinner and found it useful.
Besides having a unique dining experience in the dark and job creation for the blind and visually impaired, this concept also allows our guests to get a better insight into the life and work of the blind. I am happy that that is noticed and appreciated by you.
Thank you once again and we hope to welcome you back again soon,

Reviewed 17 July 2018 via mobile

We chose this restaurant based on ratings on TripAdvisor and the reviews were spot on! Delicious food, fantastic waiters and hosts, very reasonably priced and the experience of eating in pitch black can’t be described in words - it’s amazing!! Would have gone back again if it wasn’t our last night in Ho Chi Minh!!

Dear Noir.-lovers,
Thank you for choosing our restaurant and it was a pleasure to welcome you. We are all delighted knowing you enjoyed the dinner, the service, the food.
I am glad you appreciate the price. Indeed, it may be more expensive than other restaurants however there are many more expensive options for dinner here in Saigon too! We are not that expensive, it is of course how one compares. We feel we charge a very fair price for the services and products we offer.
We completely agree with you, it is an experience everyone should try and not to be missed. Thank you for your recommendation and a pity you ran out of time. We wish to have the chance to welcome you back again upon your next trip to Vietnam,

Reviewed 16 July 2018

This was a great experience and something that I really recommend others to do. The service provided by all staff was fantastic and I have so much respect for the owners and the positive contribution they are having on the lives of those working with them in the restaurant. The food was very good, but it is difficult to rate food for such an experience. I'm so used to seeing what I'm eating, to eating components of a dish together, and to knowing the ingredients that I'm tasting. In the dark, this doesn't exist. My senses were so heightened, I could hear everything, I had to focus on my touch to orientate myself during the meal, and my taste was amplified. I ate components of each dish as separately as I could, to try to determine what they were, but also to actually taste things properly for once. Textures, smells, flavours are intense and we often take them all for granted. Our waiter was so great, caring, and attentive, making the experience comfortable and memorable. I definitely recommend others to try Noir.

1  Thank JayM1067

Dear Jay,
Thank you for reviewing our restaurant and passing by to have dinner in the dark.
The team and I are glad you liked the dinner. And indeed in the dark the other senses heighten and it makes you, as you mentioned, smell the food more.
You will have quite a hard time, as you mention, to place names of ingredients to the tastes, textures and smell in the dishes. Of course you are also more focussed on conversations with one another at the table.
Thank you for your kind endorsement and we do look forward to welcoming you back too,

Reviewed 14 July 2018

This was a very unique experience. The restaurant employs people with various handicaps, who are very professional, fun, and service oriented. We really enjoyed the experience of eating in the dark. As strange as it sounds, it's something to try at least once. You gain a new appreciation for taste and trying to determine flavors. After the meal, you are shown photos and descriptions of what you ate (there are three menu options, and they recommend everyone at the table making the same selection so that you can discuss the foods.) Our group enjoyed this, and would recommend as something you may not find anywhere else!

Dear Noir.-lovers,
Thank you for your kind words in your review and it was a pleasure welcoming you. I am pleased you liked the dinner from service to food.
Dining in the dark does indeed touch many aspects, for you as a guest is a unique dining experience, focusing on ones “other” senses and not being distracted by phones, secondly for the blind and visually impaired it provides us to create jobs and that all together raises the awareness. I am glad and grateful that is noticed and appreciated by our guests.
Since 70% of our sense is sight, in the dark with 30% left for four senses there is indeed an overload on your senses; taste and smell heighten, you will start to touch everything around you and the texture of the food is suddenly more noticeable, also one’s hearing does become intensified.
We take sight quite for granted and you definitely came to the conclusion, or at least confirmed the fact, that we are eating with our eyes.
Thank you for suggesting others to come and try out the experience as well and of course you are more then welcome to return too,