“Ignore the whingers”
Review of The Hungry Pig

Ranked #45 of 3,204 Restaurants in Ho Chi Minh City
Good for: Kids, Child-friendly
Dining options: Breakfast, Brunch, After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Free Wifi, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Melbourne, Australia
“Ignore the whingers”
Reviewed 27 September 2013

Some of the reviews here really take the cake and it's pretty easy to work out what kind of tourists are writing them. This place is exactly what it says on the box: upmarket deli fare centred around bacon. Sandwiches/baguettes run from $2 - $5 and drinks are $1 - $1.50. I would happily eat here weekly back home (couldn't risk the heart attack with more frequent visits).

Food in Vietnam is inexpensive until things need to be custom-made or imported, then it costs the same as everywhere else. Staff issues (and can I just say that the staff were 10/10 on my visit), traffic noise, quibbling over a dollar ... hello, this is Ho Chi Minh City. If you want to stay in a peaceful resort with people falling over your every whim, then why are you in a ten dollar guesthouse on Pham Ngu Lao?

Sorry, that chorizo must be twinging my ulcer. Lovely place. Great idea and decor. Hope it does very well.

2 Thank MarmaIade

• Polish first
  • Vietnamese first
Melbourne, Australia
“Just what I needed”
Reviewed 25 September 2013 via mobile

I had inevitably made myself ill by eating so much glorious street food that a comfort feed was in order. The place was exactly what I needed. The bacon ceasar was just awesome. If you love bacon, you're sure to love something here.

1 Thank westu78
London, United Kingdom
“Bacon butty, yummy!”
Reviewed 15 September 2013

I've been travelling for almost 2 years & it's very difficult to find good bacon. It's a very simple restaurant, but great sandwiches, bagels & fresh juice & very cheap, only $2 for a classic bacon sandwich. Really enjoyed this place, ate breakfast here every day

2 Thank Jen00123
Taylorchristian, Manager at The Hungry Pig, responded to this review, 23 September 2013
Thank you very much for visiting The Hungry Pig. Your review makes everyone here very happy :).

Safe travels.

“Great piece of home”
Reviewed 13 September 2013

The sandwiches do what they say on the box. Really good bacon sarnie, so good in fact I had two ! I could not fault the food, bacon really well cooked, fresh bread and very good salad in it. The only slight gripe was the staff who spoke very good English and were very smiley spent a lot of time on mobile phones not checking to see that the customers were being looked after. A definite must not only for expats but blissful beautiful bacon butties for all

Saigon,Vietnam
“Nothing to Write Home About”
Reviewed 8 September 2013

I live in Saigon and my wife and I are keen to support new ventures, especially those specialising in home-comfort food which we all like now and then. We'd read the good reviews about this place and went along on Saturday morning for some late breakfast. We were the only customers and the staff were bright and friendly as we ordered from the easy to follow menu. I plumped for a curious self-selected panini with maple bacon, gouda cheese, onion, avocado and cranberry. Ugh you might say but I've had it in the past and enjoyed it. Sadly, on this occasion it was grim. It looked nice on the outside of the panini but not under the surface and after it was heated up - to excess - was a congealed mess. I couldn't taste the avocado or the cranberry, the cheese was sparse and the bacon was stringy. I didn't enjoy it at all. My wife had a plain bagel with bacon, which was also disappointingly stringy and chewy. She was expecting crisp and crunchy bacon with smell and flavour but sadly no. Never mind. As I say, the staff were friendly, the idea is a good one but we won't be rushing back.

2 Thank RobWinfieldChislett
The_Hungry_Pig, Manager at The Hungry Pig, responded to this review, 10 September 2013
I am very sorry that you didn't enjoy your experience at The Hungry Pig.

I am amazed that you didn't like our Bacon! You are the first.

Thank you very much for coming down and showing your support and I wish you and your wife the best of luck.