“A hidden gem”

Ranked #12 of 875 Ho Chi Minh City B&B and Inns
Newtown, New South Wales, Australia
“A hidden gem”
Reviewed 16 December 2011

Having had little backpacking experience, I was somewhat uneased to walk through a small alleyway to find this guesthouse. The cheap neon sign out the front did little more to reassure. It certainly is a ''guesthouse'' in the sense that a fairly large family lives in the premise and rents out rooms to backpackers. It's funny seeing the oldest son having to sleep on the couch near the entrance each night, and being woken up at all hours to let in drunken guests.
We requested a private room, and although they told us we could fit 5 people this turned out not to be the case, and I was left to stay in one of the dorms. This turned out to be a win, because the private rooms are actually in another building about 20 metres away, where the majority of the owner's family reside. I found it quite awkward to have to sneak past a bed full of sleeping girls to get to my mates' room.
The staff were all really friendly and very helpful. The hostel makes its own simple-to-read map with all the major attractions and how to get there marked out. The free breakfast in the morning was made to order by the mum and the grandmum, giving that át home' feel you expect from a B & B
Aside from being in a seedy alleyway, the guesthouse is in my view perfectly sitauted - just close enough to the main hub of restaurants and pubs that you can walk, but far away enough that you can get a good night's sleep if you so desire.
All in all, for 22 000 VND (~1USD) a night this was incredible value, even by southeast asia standards. I'd higly recommend it to any backpacker.

Room Tip: Avoid the private rooms, and try to get a dorm on one of the lower levels - the stairs are a hassle...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 6 December 2011

I stayed at Ngoc Thao Guesthouse twice in November, 2011. The guesthouse is run by a lovely family who were welcoming, friendly and remembered our names and our stay details.

There are several types of rooms to choose from - private share and dorms. The private rooms were clean and cool (perfect to get out of the Ho Chi heat!) and the dorm rooms were great as well.

The owners were so helpful, recommended great restaurants and went out of their way to provide excellent service. Booking Taxis, tours and transfers, and I didn't feel any pressure to do so.

We messed up our travel plans and had to stay an extra night (hence staying in both private and dorm rooms!) but the owners were just lovely and accommodating.

I would recommend this guesthouse to my friends. It was a great place and central to the backpacker district in Saigon.

Room Tip: The price of a private room is really reasonable and I would recommend if you want a break from a do...
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
London
Reviewed 25 November 2011

I wanted to write this review because the people in this guesthouse were amazing...

As this was my first time in Asia, i wanted to stay somewhere nice at least for the first few days to find my feet and this place was exactly what i needed.

They made bookings for tours and my onward bus, at cheaper prices than the travel agents on the street.

Also the communal area was a great place to meet and chat to the other guests, and they have 3 pcs free to use all 24 hours a day, as well as free wifi.

After check out they even looked after my bag whilst i went on a 2 day mekong trip, then let me have a shower on my return.

Room Tip: You can ask for a room with a window if you prefer, as the internal rooms, which i had, dont and the...
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank John_Hulme
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed 23 November 2011

Staying there for 5 nights, nice atmosphere as this is like a 2nd home for backpackers. Quite a walking distance to Benh Tanh Market but you will enjoy the true experience of Vietnam. Room is well kept and clean, all the amenities is good. They changed the towel daily. The owner & family is a nice & honest people-I left my belongings, they returned to me after my shopping trip.
Staying there from 29 Oct-3Nov 2011

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 21 November 2011

Great location, we stayed 3 nights and the staff were friendly very helpful helping us book trips and exchanging money at a good rate. Free breakfast and wifi. Definitely stay here.

Room Tip: Turn right out of the hostel and about three doors down is a little resaurant with good cheap food a...
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple