All reviews baguette min walk fine arts museum simple breakfast quiet alley free breakfast ben thanh market within walking distance receptionist backpackers street district saigon repair motorcycle thuy
Reviewed 18 July 2017

This is a very small, family-run hotel. The hotel is at the far end of District 1 and in a secluded area. Upon arrival I couldn't find the hotel as you have to walk into some alley to find it.

The hotel staff are family members. And, the family actually lives in the hotel. Staff are always not smiling, angry looking, and not friendly at all. They can't speak English well. Hotel room looks dirty, and smells. There is no daily room housekeeping. I stayed for a week and nobody came to clean the room or replace toilet rolls or the soap. I had to get them from the reception everyday.

The room and toilet has a lingering urine smell. The sheets and blankets are not entirely white and clean - you can see visible stains on the bed sheets.

I usually try to walk instead of taking the cab on my vacation. Although this hotel is still in District 1, it takes about 20 - 30 minutes to walk to the city center.

On my last day I went down for breakfast at 9:15am. The staff told me breakfast was only 7am - 9am. Who in the freaking world will end breakfast at 9am? Anyway, I told him I was only 15 minutes late. He gave me an angry look as usual and pointed to sign that was not even visible and said breakfast is 7am - 9am only. He was adamant he did not want to serve breakfast.

I WOULD NOT recommend this hotel to anyone. I know some of you may have budget constraints. But, there are a lot of newer and nicer hotels with friendlier staff in the city center. This is not a place I will come back to. Sucks big time!

Room Tip: Look for another hotel
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed 29 April 2017 via mobile

I booked this hotel because I wanted a relaxing break from hostels after a several days in a row of changing city every day.

First the positives:
Location - quiet area but near good bars, attractions, restaurants in District 1
TV in room
Good storage space (wardrobes)
Enough charging points
Minibar/fridge
Free Wifi - strong
Private room

Negatives:
1. On 2nd night I had no fresh towels, the bedding was not changed and loo roll was not replaced - this made me question the cleanliness of the hotel. Yes I left the room at around 11am so I didnt expect a full room clean, but surely at least restock the loo roll? It takes two seconds.
2. The reception was rarely manned (or was manned by someone who couldn't process what I needed) so, for example, when I wanted to book an activity I was told to come back another time.
(3. Staff speak very little English - this is fine as I think it's arrogant to expect hotels in other countries to always cater to English speakers, I just mention it because it made communication really difficult when dealing with other issues)
4. My perception of the staff was they were not very warm (possibly arising from the language barrier, but a smile on arrival would have been nice. I felt unwelcome.)
(5. Minor point. The free breakfast ends at 9am - which for me is a bit too early when I'm also trying to plan trips in the mornings).
6. I don't know if they were trying to save on electricity, but the hallways were really dark and dingy with no lights on or windows which I found a bit depressing

MAIN ISSUE
When I entered my double room ensuite I immediately noticed the smell. It was like cat urine or a dead animal coming from the bathroom and seeping into the bedroom. It made me feel a bit sick. The drain in the shower looked really dirty and slightly blocked. I also wondered if the shower water was clean due to the aforementioned smell.

Bottom line? I felt quite stressed here and left after 2 nights after originally planning to stay 4. I'm now staying in a hostel where it's cheaper and more pleasant.

Stayed: April 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed 17 March 2017 via mobile

The room was good.
There were 2 men at the reception , and they couldn't speak any English at all. We did laundry there 2 days before we left, and when we got it back it was all wet!
We would not stay again !

Stayed: March 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 February 2017 via mobile

Picked this place up at a great price online and when we arrived to check in we were pleased with what we received for district 1 accommodation.

Our room was a nice size and clean with private shower room with A/C and about 10 minutes + to the main area for shopping, food & drinks depending where you were going.

The hotel was so kind to keep our backpacks for us while we went to the islands with just hand luggage and we checked back in on our return until our onward travel to Cambodia.

Our on,y negative was the laundry service - The hotel had over 48 hours to sort out our laundry but we guessed it had been forgotten about as when we asked for it we were told it wasn't ready but we could have it tomorrow.

We had to say this is no good as we have a early flight and need to pack so 30 minutes later our laundry was returned in a unwashed mess.

At check out we were billed for this but the hotel was more than happy again to remove this cost once we had advised them what had happened.

Stayed: October 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank mids1985
Reviewed 7 February 2017 via mobile

Stayed here for 2 night last week had a deluxe double room. Room was big enough for 2 was clean with a comfy bed bathroom was also suitable being wet room. Set in a quiet off street. Location was good for getting about city was a 10 min walk into backpacking area and 20 mins to the war museum. Would recommend this place , breakfast throw in as well

Stayed: February 2017, travelled with friends