Vietnam Backpacker Hostels - Downtown
US$81
US$77
US$62
  • Breakfast included
Essence Hanoi Hotel & Spa(Hanoi)
US$74
Pullman Hanoi(Hanoi)
US$110
US$107
Hotels.com
All reviewsbuffalo runcastaway tourrobin hoodfree shotspub crawlbooze cruiseour tour guidehai van passdrinks dealsgreat party hostelmai chauhalong baysocial hostelthe free walking tourbeer pongearly nighta great place to meet
Reviewed 3 April 2018 via mobile

The boys decided that we'd do castaways, after hearing several good reviews, however we then decided it was a great idea to hit it hard the night before.
So the next day, we weren't really feeling it, the guys were trying to get us going but we weren't really feeling it.
As it went it on, the better it became, the boat trip was one of finest moments of my travels as well as the two evenings spent on the island. However the dj a.k.a dj schlidey was a crease to say the least, the tunes were dead it has to be said. Furthermore a rep called Lewis a.k.a predator/dry lunch seemed like a nice bloke but never got to meet the geeza because he spent the whole time following the girls. However there were several really good reps over the weekend our boat trip was run brilliantly by Jamie and Rosie. As well rep Danny was a funny guy but as a whole a very good weekend and I would definitely recommend it.

Stayed: April 2018
Alyson2309, General Manager at Vietnam Backpacker Hostels - Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 13 April 2018

Hi Henry

Hope you're well.
We appreciate your feedback & understand that heavy nights happen.
We're glad you enjoyed your time though & we'll be sure to pass your feedback onto the guides.
Maybe next time go a bit easier the night before haha.

We hope you enjoy the rest of your travels

cheers
ally
General Manager - Downtown

Reviewed 31 March 2018 via mobile

I was first encapsulated by Downtown by Rosie’s warm smile which instantly made me feel at home. The stay was amazing but it was her hospitality that made this accommodation so incredible. I don’t know how much Saigon paid her to come down but I know it wasn’t enough. I trust her and Rob will insert Vietnam Inn Saigon with the same charm that lives in Downtown VBH. They say you don’t know what you’ve got until it’s gone, and I hope downtown knows what they’ve lost with Rosie.

Hesitant at first, me and my friend opted for the Castaways excursion. We were first greeted in the lobby by Jaime’s beautiful hair and Ryan’s pearly white teeth. 1 million shotguns and shotgun chants later, we left with enough friends to last a lifetime. Lewis H and Ryan were incredible guides and the island was some of the most fun I’ve had my whole trip. Buffalo.

Finally, after Lewis H finished up his Castaways duties, we somberly agreed to join the Lewis Buffalo Run down from Hanoi to HCM. Not actually affiliated with VBH. It was a bit expensive at 3,000,000VND per day, and that didn’t include his daily expenses of 40+ Tigers. Although well-intended, he didn’t provide much besides weak crack. Matilda reviewed him as bang average? I don’t even know what that means. Would give him 2.5 stars if I could. In all seriousness travelling down with Lewis was awesome, VBH has lost another stud, and seeing him catching up with the staff at all the other locations highlighted what a special culture VBH has.

If you have the option to stay at a VBH location anywhere throughout your stay, no need to think about it, just book.

Stayed: March 2018, travelled with friends
Alyson2309, General Manager at Vietnam Backpacker Hostels - Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 7 April 2018

Hi There

Thanks so much for taking the time to feedback about your time with Vietnam Backpacker Hostels.

Seems like you had an amazing time staying with & enjoyed hanging out with the staff.

We're glad you got to experience the whole country as it truly is amazing.

I'll be sure to pass on your comments to the team.

You know where we are so please come back & visit soon.

Enjoy the rest of your travels

Ally
Downtown General Manager

Reviewed 30 March 2018 via mobile

Yet again another amazing stay at this hostel. Ryan and Jamie made our castaways trip. They are bloody amazing, I left my backpack on a bus and Jamie was so quick to sort it and was just great throughout the trip and Ryan was great too! Two of the nicest guys we’ve met travelling! Million times better than my castaways trip last year thanks to them! Also, staff at the hostel were great as usual. Would highly recommend the trip, I’m still friends from my trip from last year and obviously now trip this year! Thanks once again !!

Hi Sarah

Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback with us, we really appreciate it. It's nice to hear that this was your second Castaways tour.

I'll be sure to pass on the details to the Island staff.

Look forward to seeing you again & we hope you continue to have a good time whilst travelling.

ally
Downtown General Manager

Reviewed 23 March 2018

Myself and partner did the Buffalo Run tour from Hanoi to Hoi An ( March 2018 ) We were very pleased to have done this tour, it was everything we were hoping for. The variety of activities and places visited was a perfect blend of Vietnamese culture and outdoor adventure. Our guide Holly, did a terrific job of keeping us informed of what was coming up in our itinerary and what to have with us each day to make the experience most enjoyable. We were never rushed from one place to another, so lots of opportunity to chill and relax between places.

We were delighted to have joined a tour that had a mix of adventure minded people from different countries. The tour allowed for lots of socialising at carefully chosen lunch spots and at the hotels and hostels. At the same time there was opportunity for independent wandering, we didn't all have to do the same thing at the same time. This was particularly pleasing for us, as we didn't expect we would all have exactly the same interests. Despite being more than a few years older than the majority, it never became an issue, there wasn't anything that was too risky and only suitable for the young and brave.

Most of all we were particularly grateful to be able to share this well constructed journey with other people. We have done several tours in Vietnam where we were the only participants, with a Vietnamese driver and/or guide. Whilst these tours were great they lacked the group dynamic that one builds on a small group tour, like the Buffalo Run. It was nice to see that some of the participants, unknown to each other before joining the Buffalo Run had decide to keep travelling together.

Obviously we could have gone to the same destinations chosen to include in the Buffalo Run on our own accord. However the challenge of arranging transport, entrance tickets, negotiating prices would have consumed so much time and energy, not to mention frustration. As well we would not have had come close to having the same quality of experience as we did on the Buffalo Run. There is enormous benefit in joining a tour than has been refined and tuned to appeal to all tastes, and always seeking to improve from constructive comment and suggestion.

We strongly recommend that travellers in Vietnam seeking to travel from North to South to consider the Buffalo Run Experience. It is a memorable and unforgettable experience.

Stayed: March 2018, travelled with friends
Alyson2309, General Manager at Vietnam Backpacker Hostels - Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 25 March 2018

Hi Lawrence

Thanks very much for your very detailed feedback on the buffalo run. The buffalo run is an epic 7 day adventure and we are happy that you had such a good time. It's the best way to see the areas you visited down the country.

We do really appreciate your feedback & I'll be sure to pass it onto our tour guides.

Hope you enjoyed the rest of your travels & come back & visit again.

Ally - Downtown General Manager

Reviewed 23 March 2018

Castaways was one of the highlights of my south east Asia backpacking trip. You get to see the beauty of Ha Long Bay, eat lots of delicious food while keeping well hydrated and entertained. The team are SO much fun, big love to Ryan for being a number one bae, Rosie for giving me a run for my money on being the sass queen on the island; Jamie for supporting me despite my inability to down beer whilst playing beer ball and Alice for getting Rosie to pipe down when you need to sleep... you guys made our trip to the island a t.e.n out of t.e.n. Rosie and Jamie led the best booze cruise, personal shout-out to Rosie’s amazing guest services- making me a personal rum and coke shotgun so I wasn’t left out of all the games (not sure who gave her a peanut though- probably the dog that loved her toes). Also her fun facts whilst kayaking ensured we were still using our brains for at least 10 minutes over the 3 Days. Tubing was probably the most I’ve laughed on this trip. Thanks for helping me build my upper body strength- I’m now a push up pro. The tour is so well organised, the team are amazing, the food super tasty and plentiful (because girls eat first); the island is beautiful and there’s always something going on. I’ll never forget my time on the Castaways island. Go and check out the plankton at the end of the jetty at night, it’s beaut x

Hi Cara

Wow what awesome feedback. Sounds like you had an amazing time out there.

The Island staff will be very happy to hear your comments. Thanks for taking the time to send this through to us.

We hope the rest of your travels have been as enjoyable as your Castaways experience.

Stay in touch & thanks again.

Cheers