See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 6 December 2016 via mobile

This was our first stop on our first visit to Vietnam. Very happy with it, room clean and spacious although workmanship leaves a bit to be desired, bathroom ok, shower leaks so dont put anything on the floor. We had no water for the first 24 hrs which was annoying but it got sorted. Staff are lovely, breakfast is quite simple, but the same every day. They close the roller shutters around midnight, which was a bit of a worry when we returned, but if you knock, they open them to let you in. Location is great! As its within the ols quarter, Everything is within walking distance. For what what we paid, i think it was good enough.

Date of stay: December 2016
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 July 2016

Hang Be travel (which also has a small hotel at their office in Hang Be) looks ok at first, and their english speaking staff are quite charming, BUT after you have paid your money don't expect anything in return. After giving them 60 dollars for a trip to Halong Bay departing the next day, I turned up the next morning to find their office boarded up, and the coach which was supposed to pick me up at 830am, failed to show at all. I stood there for one and half hours in the boiling sun, but no coach came and no one came to open their office. After ringing the company several times, they eventually turned up at 10am with staff saying they had gone for a swim because it was a hot day..... I know it was hot, I stood there in sweltering heat waiting for a coach that wasn't coming. They said that the coach operator had made a mistake, and after arguing I managed to get the sixty dollars refund, no compensation, no proper apology, and when I said I would write a review on trip advisor I was told by their manager to "yeh, do whatever you want". Vietnam is a beautiful country with great places to visit, but if you use this company you may end up standing by the side of a busy road for hours and waste your money.

Date of stay: July 2016
Trip type: Travelled solo
Reviewed 26 December 2015

We stumbled upon this Hang Be hotel-cum-tour-agency while walking around the old quarters. We made a booking for a Hoalu-Tam Coc day trip with them since it was the cheapest around town at USD18. The tour operator was Bamboo Travel. At the time of booking, we inquired and confirmed that we will be travelling in a van and having a buffet lunch.

On the day of the tour, a bus came to pick us up instead of a van, approximately 1 hour later than agreed. There were between 25-30 people on the bus, which was the reason why it was late. Half way through the journey, a few ladies (who booked Perfume Pagoda tour) were told that their transfer to Perfume Pagoda left without them, so they had to take a taxi there with a relative/friend of the tour guide.

On the way, we had a toilet break at a souvenir shop and visited 2 temples. Then, we arrived at the restaurant in Tam Coc for lunch. To our surprise, we were told that we had the set lunch, instead of the buffet. At first, we didn't mind the set lunch, so we sat down with 4 other people at the set lunch table. All 6 of us were served a pot of rice with 3 dishes (cucumber and carrot salad, tofu with tomatoes, and mince chicken with vegetables). I thought those were only the appetizers, but no more food came along. They didn't taste bad, but in my opinion it was enough to feed only 2-3 people! The tour guides sat at another table with at least 4 dishes, one of them looked suspiciously like stir fried beef!

Anyway, after we had a second lunch at the restaurant next door, we went cycling around a river and took a boat ride through 3 caves. I enjoyed the activities very much, the lady rowing our boat even sang a small tune. But nearing the end of the boat ride, the lady demanded for a tip. So we gave her a tip (which we were planning to give anyway), but she turned to the other boats and started comparing how much tip each had received. Then she stopped rowing and demanded for more tips. At this point, the tourists on the three boats were also talking to each other. Eventually, we gave a little bit more tips and got to shore.

After that we started the journey back to Hanoi, the total travelling time took approximately 3 hours in the morning and 3 hours in the evening even though it was just 120km from Hanoi. We spent only 30 minutes at the temples, 1 hour lunch, 30 minutes bike riding, 1.5 hours boat ride.

And that was the worse day trip ever in my life.

Date of stay: December 2015
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 May 2015 via mobile

If I could give negative stars, I would... Booked 2 night 3 day tracking tour to Sapa, with an open ticket, and an airport transfer for our last day. We showed up at 8pm for our ride to the bus station like we were told, and they had forgot to arrange transport. They called us a taxi and said they would pay, but only gave me half what it cost. Luckily I asked the driver first, and he got the rest from the agency. When we got to the bus station they had no ticket for us. Only after calling number on receipt it got fixed. Next morning we arrive at Sapa around 4:30 am, where we were told a shuttle would pick us up between 5-6 and take us to a hotel. We waited until about 8:30, calling the agency about 10 times from a borrowed phone, but getting no answer. About 30 other backpackers all got picked up by vans or taxis who had their names on a list. Finally a bus driver helped us and got ahold of the agency, we were told to tale a taxi to an address they gave us, and they would pay. Taxi driver dropped us off in an intersection and pointed down a busy street and told us to get out and tried to make us pay. About an hour later we end up at a different hotel that helped us find the one we were Suposed to be at. (Agency wouldn't even give us the name)
After one night of trekking, we are told that we are finished, and have only booked one night. After arguing with the rude agency owner for about 20 minutes on the phone, they said we could continue. (The agency owner said we only paid $40, when we have a receipt saying we paid $180 for 2people.) We returned to Hanoi a day earlier than our flight, just in case this agency screwed us over with the airport transport. And guess what? They told us that we should have told the bus driver to drop us at the airport. They will not provide any airport transport. (After being clearly promised a few days before that it was no problem) even though our receipt said "airport drop off". I told the owner I would leave him a bad review and he laughed. After reading the other reviews on here I can now see that he doesn't give a $hit. DO NOT BOOK ANYTHING WOTH THESE GUYS. They messed up on literally every part of our agreement, and was the most expensive and stressful part of our trip.

Date of stay: May 2015
1  Thank Sage H
Reviewed 28 June 2014

This is by far one of the worst establishments in the whole of Asia that I had the misfortune to encounter. My partner and I arranged an airport transfer for 7 in the morning in order to catch a flight to Thailand and like many of the posts previous, they failed to send any taxi in spite of making full payment the previous day. On that morning, I ran over the hotel and found that the metal gate was shut over the hotel/ shop front and they obviously had no intention to open until we departed. As a result, I had to book another taxi last minute and lost my money. Never give money to these scammers or perish the thought, consider staying here!

Date of stay: April 2014