See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 26 December 2015

We stumbled upon this Hang Be hotel-cum-tour-agency while walking around the old quarters. We made a booking for a Hoalu-Tam Coc day trip with them since it was the cheapest around town at USD18. The tour operator was Bamboo Travel. At the time of booking, we inquired and confirmed that we will be travelling in a van and having a buffet lunch.

On the day of the tour, a bus came to pick us up instead of a van, approximately 1 hour later than agreed. There were between 25-30 people on the bus, which was the reason why it was late. Half way through the journey, a few ladies (who booked Perfume Pagoda tour) were told that their transfer to Perfume Pagoda left without them, so they had to take a taxi there with a relative/friend of the tour guide.

On the way, we had a toilet break at a souvenir shop and visited 2 temples. Then, we arrived at the restaurant in Tam Coc for lunch. To our surprise, we were told that we had the set lunch, instead of the buffet. At first, we didn't mind the set lunch, so we sat down with 4 other people at the set lunch table. All 6 of us were served a pot of rice with 3 dishes (cucumber and carrot salad, tofu with tomatoes, and mince chicken with vegetables). I thought those were only the appetizers, but no more food came along. They didn't taste bad, but in my opinion it was enough to feed only 2-3 people! The tour guides sat at another table with at least 4 dishes, one of them looked suspiciously like stir fried beef!

Anyway, after we had a second lunch at the restaurant next door, we went cycling around a river and took a boat ride through 3 caves. I enjoyed the activities very much, the lady rowing our boat even sang a small tune. But nearing the end of the boat ride, the lady demanded for a tip. So we gave her a tip (which we were planning to give anyway), but she turned to the other boats and started comparing how much tip each had received. Then she stopped rowing and demanded for more tips. At this point, the tourists on the three boats were also talking to each other. Eventually, we gave a little bit more tips and got to shore.

After that we started the journey back to Hanoi, the total travelling time took approximately 3 hours in the morning and 3 hours in the evening even though it was just 120km from Hanoi. We spent only 30 minutes at the temples, 1 hour lunch, 30 minutes bike riding, 1.5 hours boat ride.

And that was the worse day trip ever in my life.

• Stayed: December 2015, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 May 2015 via mobile

If I could give negative stars, I would... Booked 2 night 3 day tracking tour to Sapa, with an open ticket, and an airport transfer for our last day. We showed up at 8pm for our ride to the bus station like we were told, and they had forgot to arrange transport. They called us a taxi and said they would pay, but only gave me half what it cost. Luckily I asked the driver first, and he got the rest from the agency. When we got to the bus station they had no ticket for us. Only after calling number on receipt it got fixed. Next morning we arrive at Sapa around 4:30 am, where we were told a shuttle would pick us up between 5-6 and take us to a hotel. We waited until about 8:30, calling the agency about 10 times from a borrowed phone, but getting no answer. About 30 other backpackers all got picked up by vans or taxis who had their names on a list. Finally a bus driver helped us and got ahold of the agency, we were told to tale a taxi to an address they gave us, and they would pay. Taxi driver dropped us off in an intersection and pointed down a busy street and told us to get out and tried to make us pay. About an hour later we end up at a different hotel that helped us find the one we were Suposed to be at. (Agency wouldn't even give us the name)
After one night of trekking, we are told that we are finished, and have only booked one night. After arguing with the rude agency owner for about 20 minutes on the phone, they said we could continue. (The agency owner said we only paid $40, when we have a receipt saying we paid $180 for 2people.) We returned to Hanoi a day earlier than our flight, just in case this agency screwed us over with the airport transport. And guess what? They told us that we should have told the bus driver to drop us at the airport. They will not provide any airport transport. (After being clearly promised a few days before that it was no problem) even though our receipt said "airport drop off". I told the owner I would leave him a bad review and he laughed. After reading the other reviews on here I can now see that he doesn't give a $hit. DO NOT BOOK ANYTHING WOTH THESE GUYS. They messed up on literally every part of our agreement, and was the most expensive and stressful part of our trip.

Stayed: May 2015
1  Thank Sage H
Reviewed 28 June 2014

This is by far one of the worst establishments in the whole of Asia that I had the misfortune to encounter. My partner and I arranged an airport transfer for 7 in the morning in order to catch a flight to Thailand and like many of the posts previous, they failed to send any taxi in spite of making full payment the previous day. On that morning, I ran over the hotel and found that the metal gate was shut over the hotel/ shop front and they obviously had no intention to open until we departed. As a result, I had to book another taxi last minute and lost my money. Never give money to these scammers or perish the thought, consider staying here!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Willisson22
Reviewed 8 April 2014

We booked a so-called luxury tour to Halong Bay and had a terrible experience. We were booked on the wrong day then arrived to find we had been changed to a substandard boat and a hotel that stunk of fish. The staff at the Hang Be/Bamboo travel office assured us on the phone throughout that they would sort 'the best hotel' but all turned out to be lies. Everyone else on our boat had paid half the price we had.

When we returned to the Hanoi office to confront the owner he immediately started shouting loudly and acting in a threatening manner. He refused the refund we were due so all we can do is implore anyone else to avoid this place like the plague.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 29 August 2013

We were booked transportation to the AirPort at 5 am. We waited for 30 minutes and after that try to call to them. No answer and now back home try to email, both adresses are fake!!! Don't go even if they are offering cheaper price, it will cost you more anyway.....

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple