“One of the best hotel experiences”

The Village Coconut Island Beach Resort
Ranked #7 of 852 Speciality Lodging in Phuket
Sydney, Australia
“One of the best hotel experiences”
Reviewed 8 March 2012

We stayed for almost 3 weeks in February.
All the services and staff were very polite and professional.
Food at the restaurants was super and the variety was great. Plus free transportation to and from the beach, and a free car/mini bus to and from a shopping centre. Our room had a nice view of the harbour and a big balcony.
We honestly could not fault a thing. The breakfast was something we looked forward to every morning, best omlettes of my life.Large rooms in private villa style, small sun terrace and outside seating area. The set-up of the villa rooms gives a very private and peaceful atmosphere.
All in all, it wa a wonderful trip and we appreciated the Thai hospitality which is second to none! We will certainly visit the Village Coconut Island again.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (422)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 March 2012

I just spent 2 weeks at The Village Coconut Island and it was my second time to the resort. I stayed this time in one of the new Jacuzzi Suites, previously I want in a Grand Sea View Villa as the other option was not available. Before I had been with a group of people which made it affordable for us. Firstly the Villa we stayed in was absolutely stunning, like nothing we had experienced before (the living room was bigger than my whole flat at home), and the private pool was perfect for chilling out and catching up with friends over a drink. This time I stayed in a Jacuzzi suite as it was very cost effective (when I compared on booking.com it was cheaper than most 3/4 star resorts) Win Win. The room was bigger than any hotel room I have been in before and the that is not including the big exterior garden with jacuzzi and sun deck (bigger than any balcony you could ever have). I was in Suite 11 and had no noise from the Generator. You could hear it when walking to reception but you forget about it as you are on a tropical island and how else can they get power to their guest. Some people moan, but they obviously think electricity comes from thin air. I only ate in the restaurant 2 times as dinned on my deck in the room most nights. 1 night I went to the floating restaurants, great experience... must do. Just ask the boat boys and they take you and pick you up.
I never used the slides as not my thing, but people seemed to be enjoying them, I decided to stay by the adult pool at the top where it was very peaceful, with elevated views over the ocean. Happy hour was the best, although I drank too much some night ;-) oops. I would say one of the overall best things about this resort is how when you are on the beach you are not hassled by people trying to sell you everything you don't want. You can also see the sea as not many umbrellas. You go anywhere on the West coast and you have to cross a main road to the beach and then you can not see the sea due to umbrellas and sun beds. Here you can relax, I will not go to the West coast again. The only bad thing I have to say about this resort is that the power does go off for about 1 minute a couple of times per day. Jamie on the front desk kindly explained this to me as it is when they have to change generators to stop them over heating which makes sense. Hey, you are on a tropical island, what can you expect, rather that than being hassled from a Tuk Tuk ever minute of the day. I can not recommend this hotel enough, I will come back and then back again. This place is for me.

Room Tip: If you can afford it take a Grand Villa, but don't worry Jacuzzi rooms are still great.
Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank SD555
baku
Reviewed 7 March 2012

It's taken a while to get around to writing this....

Firstly, thanks to the staff - friendly, professional, and courteous. A big thanks especially to Bernie for helping us out - he was real gent to deal with.

Villa's - these are impressive. Large with a private pool, they are definitely worth shelling out a little extra.

Pro's - quiet place, great villa's, English cable TV, nice staff, small reasonably-priced shop on the island, good breakfast buffet, good mix of nationalities as guests.

Con's - quiet may not be good after a week stay, mosquito's (lots), minor issues with ferry crossings which are being sorted, cleaning of rooms could be a lot better than it was. Happy hr was far too short - it really was just an hr!

Overall, the place is great for a short stay - highly recommended. We had zero issues with Absolute personnel; they only seemed to target folks visiting or those that had taken money/freebies to visit the island. The generator does make some noise but we were only 50m away from it and it didn't ruin our holiday.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank BakuTerry
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed 6 March 2012

This place was horrible! we left without getting our money back! Due to the flooddings in Bangkok we had to reschedule our trip to Thailand. In total we have been to Thailand for 5 times. So we thought we knew our way. We looked on the internet and found this "ideallic" island resort.
The site said it had 75 private houses. We counted about 125, all crammed together. There even was a lot of construction still going on for even more villa's! Next to the reception there was a real estate office. There was a company ON the resort where you could buy these villa's. With this came about 10 sales agents trying to sell the villa's to people who where driven around in extended golfcarts. As there were just 2 restaurants at the resort your lunch and dinner were disrupted by tables around you, occupied by loud sales men there to seal their deals.

We took the villa with jacuzzi, but there was very little privacy with all neighbours who could see you sitting in it. While in the meantime the resort generator overruled all natures sounds with it's constant roar. While I thought of asking my girlfriend to marry me on this island I ended up asking the assistent manager to please give some kind of refund so we could leave this horrible place. Instead he offer me 20% discount on all food and beverages which apparently ALL guests got after they complained about the construction and noise. There was even a 50meter boat 100m away from the resorts bar,beach and pool ON the beach which transported trucks and construction equipment

We then decided to pack two little bags and left on the first boat to the main land and head for a better place. We kept our luggage in our room simply because we paid for the room for 4 nights and wanted to travel light.

Thank god we found a perfect place and I got to ask my girlfriend to marry me in the most beautiful and romantic way. But not thanks to this horrible resort!!

We took pictures and made video's to back up our story. So if you even consider going to this place feel free to contact us and we are more then happy to send you these.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Robin M
Ashmanator, General Manager at The Village Coconut Island Beach Resort, responded to this review, 12 March 2012
Dear Corine-Robin,

I apologise in advance for the length of my response, but your review contains some unfair allegations which I am obliged to address here as they have the potential to be very damaging to our resort.

I note that you visited the island some time ago. Firstly, I am obliged to point out the inaccuracies in your review. Our accommodation comprises 44 Grand Pool Villas, 76 Pool Villas and 116 Hotel Suites. Your choice of accommodation was a hotel suite rather than a villa. Nowhere on our website does it, or did it ever state that we have only 75 ‘private houses’ on the island.

In addition, I must contest your statement that the villas are ‘crammed together’; our villas are spaced very well apart in order to provide as much privacy for our guests as possible. For example, each of our Grand villas are set in private gardens averaging 700 m2 in size; hardly, as I am sure you will agree, ‘crammed together’.

During the period of your stay last year, all guests were given a 20% discount due to the fact that a number of our villas were still under construction. This was widely advertised and all guests were notified of the fact that construction was still ongoing at the point of booking.

With regard to your comments about the barge and generator: as you know, we are a small resort on a tropical island. As we are not on the mainland, all provisions, including food, fuel and all other essential supplies, have to be brought to the island by boat each week. The barge docks a good way down our beach, not at the main jetty, and we have never before experienced guests complaining about this.

Our island location also means that, until the mains cable is laid from Phuket mainland to us, we rely totally on generator power to provide electricity to the whole resort. It is unfortunately a temporary but necessary evil that we have no choice but to accept, and we have put in a number of measures including extensive sound proofing to ensure that the impact to our guests is minimal.

In reference to your comments about the sales presence on the island: at the time of your visit we were working with a company by the name of Absolute, who had been hired to assist us with the Villa Sales aspect of our business. We are no longer working with Absolute and the presence of the salesman that you mentioned is no longer an issue.

We are proud of the feedback that we receive from the vast majority of our guests, as is evidenced by other reviews on Trip Advisor. Construction finished at the end of last year and as you can see, the resort has recently won a number of awards which are testament to the high standard of the resort.

Best Wishes,
The Management, The Village Coconut Island
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 26 February 2012

We have just returned from spending 8 wonderful nights (Living Social voucher) in paradise! There were 7 of us, 5 adults and 2 children, some of us stayed in the juccuzi suites which were excellent and my family and I started in a 2 bedroom pool villa which was also great but were upgraded to a 2 bedroom beach front villa which was magnificent! The resort is amazing and has everything you need if you dont want to leave the island to head into town. Both restaurants have amazing food and really resonable prices for a resort. The water slides are great fun for both adults and kids! The staff are always smiling and provide great service. We didnt have any problems with Absolute although we did see them on the Island. Breakfast is amazing with lots of choices. We loved happy hour and took advantage of the 2 for 1 cocktails. On the second day we headed out to Phuket town, we met a gentleman on the other side of the pier where the taxi's wait who would became our driver for the total duration of our stay. At 1000 baht per day it was excellent value, he drove safely and would always turn up on time. We all enjoyed taking the tuk tuk to the pier and the short ride in the water taxi. The timetable works well and you can rely on it pretty much to the minute. The generator is located near reception, but after day 2 we really didnt notice it, its not a major problem. Black dog and his friends were great with the kids and adults and provided great amusement. Yes the power cuts out every now and then but the surrounds make up for it and we didnt go on holiday to sit in our room so it really caused no bother and you are on an Island. Whenever I logged onto the free wifi it was available and quick enough for what I needed. The massages provided by the ladies at the resort spa are fantastic and you feel 10 years younger walking out. We all had an amazing time and will be back to stay sometime in the hopefully not to distant future. If you happen to be there on a Friday or Saturday night make sure you go to the Naka market in Phuket, it has everything you could want and is much cheaper than the Patong Beach market, warning if you are over 5ft, you will have to duck! My only complaint would perhaps be the manners of some of the other guests, if you are last on the water taxi then your last on a tuk tuk. Pushing your way through other passangers is not polite. Also, would it really hurt to say good morning or afternoon to fellow guests? When speaking to resort staff, speak kindly, they are not stupid, you speak one language and they speak another it does make communicating a little difficult but communicating with a smile or a laugh at the misunderstandings would be much better than yelling at them. When I was reading the reviews prior to us going I was really nervous and not sure what to expect, different people want different things and have certain expectations. I was happy to be in a beautiful location with my family not having to worry about cooking, cleaning or getting up early for work.

Room Tip: If you can afford it, go the beach front villas, sensational!
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank Jody H
Ashmanator, General Manager at The Village Coconut Island Beach Resort, responded to this review, 6 March 2012
Dear Jody H,

Thank you so much for your very kind review: it was a pleasure to read your thoughts regarding your stay, and my team and I were so pleased by your positive comments. I will particularly pass on your thanks to the ladies at the Spa, and give Black Dog a pat from you!

We really hope that you will visit us again soon.

Very best wishes,