“French food without Thai accent”
Review of Froggy's French Bistro - CLOSED

Froggy's French Bistro
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 30 October 2013

Living in Pattaya I get bored with Asian food quite fast. Every time I try a cafe or restaurant that claims to serve European food, I find it not so European. Not in Froggy's case. The French chef seems to cook himself and his dishes are great. Considering the price (around $10 for a three-course dinner) it's the best place in town. Froggy is not so easy to find, so it's a good idea to add some directions for a GPS. It takes us 30 min to drive from Pratumnak to Froggy but it is worth it. The kids love pancakes with wild mushrooms, my husband enjoys the duck leg or chicken breast with some terrific sauce, and I am in love with the Chef's home made soups (the pea soup is delicious). Then you have to leave some space for a dessert, all of them are great.

Reviewed 1 October 2013

We stayed at the Royal Cliff for three days seminar, nice dinning around but we wanted to experience a French Restaurant. I asked a nice lady at the front desk which recommended the Froggy’s. She sent some customers a few weeks ago and their comments were very positive. I made the reservation myself, the singing voice with a slight French accent gave me the location and the web site from where I could print a map for the taxi driver. At 7.30 pm the singing voice welcomed the six of us, like we knew each other for year, a warm reception from the French owner Gil. We didn’t steep into a one millions dollars decorated restaurant but a simple bistro style restaurant that made our night. A large selection of appetizers and courses to choose from, a selection of table and corked wine three time less expensive than in the hotel not to mention the soft drink and the food. We didn’t take menu which was priced a 300 b but the selections of the day. Scrambled egg with smoked tuna on a waffle and green lettuce, Duck and liver comfit salad, a pea soup dashed with Boursin cheese. Ox tail stew, boneless and tasty, frog legs in garlic butter, pangas fillet baked in vegetable broth and a potato parmentier a nice french version of the English cottage pie. Crème brulee, meringue royal, crotte au chocolat ( don't ask what crotte means in french) know it’s delicious! Two bottles of wine and soft drink the bill was ...ridiculous compare to what we had to pay for the food in our hotel which was not so great after all. We’ll be back at Froggy's in a fewmonths time.

1  Thank Lise g
Reviewed 23 September 2013

If I consider the price of the set menu and the quality of food served by the french owner and chef, I surely rate this little frenchbistro as the best in town ifor its category. The dishes are well presented and tasty not to mention the selection to choose from. You could if you which select other dishes offered from the special list of "plat du jour" Snails in garlic butter, tomato and cream well presented in a little casserole. I had the duck confit for main course, it was excellent, meat falling from the bone but at the same time ferm and juicy. The salad was served with a home made dressing that no one at our table could figure out the ingredients but so delicious. A decided on the meringue royal for a dessert a great cocktail ice cream meringue and a raspberry sauce topped with whipped cream, a nice sweet and sour taste. We live in rayon but always stop in froggy when in pattaya for the evining.

Reviewed 22 September 2013

such a big selection of dishes for a 300 b menu for the taste of every guests. We took the set menu with an extra suppl. I choose the warm goad cheese salad absolutely "divine " my french guest took the frog legs, said it was the best in town. I trust his taste, I wouldn't try sorry... My wife starter was the chef terrine , We ordered a second for the three of us, that's how we felt about it. she loved the sea bass fillet steamed to perfection served with a basil essence. No french fries but some delicious home made sauteed potato with the duck leg confit and the coq au vin that again pleased my french guest. The only waiter was very nice, it seems the restaurant run in a friendly atmosphere. My wife and i will go back

1  Thank steve l
Reviewed 22 September 2013

I agree with some comments on T.A, the restaurant wasn't so easy to find. My advise is not to trust the google map but the one from froggy's web site. My familly of four arrived around 7.30, the place wasn't too busy. 3 tables outside and 2 tables in the air conditionned room in which we had our dinner ( A small cosy room, decorated with old thai puppets very cut) . We were agreably surprised by the warm welcome of the french owner and chef. We took the 300 b menu with a selection of ten appetizers and ten main courses to choose from and desserts . Each of us ordered a different dish shared among us. Gratined mussel, warm livers salad, pate du chef and Salmon cake with a garlic lemon cold sauce, delicious.. We licked the plates. Beef bourguignon, duck leg confit, seafood casserole and french parmentier was excellent. Came the desserts two cream brully warm on the outside cold on the inside, a delight as were the meringue royal and the crepe susette. Water for the kids two glasses of wine and the total bill was 1420 b, the cheapest restaurant bill and the best meals since we arrived in pattaya. We came back for our last night, the meals were as great so was the service. We may not come back to pattaya which is not a family destination as advertised by the Thai O.T but we'll recommend froggy to our friends.