“Horrible experience! Rude rip off!”
Review of Glur Chiangmai

Glur Chiangmai
Ranked #61 of 402 Hotels in Chiang Mai
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 1 December 2017 via mobile

We booked 4 nights and really enjoyed the first one. Then the horror started: the next morning I took a shower, opend the glas door and the whole think smashed! I opened it pulling softly without any pressure. My foot was hurt really bad, with a deep cut, and one of the staff members took me to the hospital. A lady from the reception told me not to worry, I don’t have to pay for the broken glas. We were kind of surprised that she thought this is an option and expected them to apologize for the inconveniences. When we came back, the staff at the reception told us that they don‘t have a similar room for us, so we decided to leave. Then the guy at the reception told us that we had to pay for the second night, too, although we couldn’t stay, because it was 5 pm when we returned from hospital, and Check-out time was noon! We thought he was joking, but he really kept the money for the two nights because he blamed me for breaking the shower door as I opened it the wrong way. I told him that even if I did, the door should not break and this incident ruined my trip. But there was no room for discussion, he even wanted to call the police when we didn’t wanna accept this. When we called a friend from Chiangmai for help, they made up a story that I smashed the reception desk by beating, with my tiny girly flat hand (come on, guys!) and kept half the key deposit, too. What a bunch of liars! We left very disappointed by the impolite and rude way of service. The trip was ruined as I couldn’t move for the next ten days. The staff was not interested because, again, it was all my fault. I really can’t recommend this hotel! Not possible to have a good and relaxed time with staff and service like that!

Stayed: November 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Reviewed 30 November 2017

This is an attractive two-storey hostel/hotel built in period-style around a central rectangular swimming pool. My room was large and pleasant, with a very comfortable king-size bed. The air-conditioning worked well, and WIFI was free and fast. One or two more table lamps would have been helpful, given the size of the room.

The room was quiet, with one exception: the far side of the hotel backs onto quite humble housing, whose occupants keep roosters. If you stay in that part of the hotel, be prepared to be woken at 3 AM by a rooster just outside your window! Ear plugs a must.

The room had numerous small touches such as large bottles of shampoo and shower gel offered only by far more expensive establishments, and the standard of room preparation was outstanding. It's good to see Glur taking care over the small details.

The hotel is well positioned, with the busy Night Bazaar area a few short minutes' walk using the Iron Bridge to cross the Ping River, and easy car access to Chiang Mai's middle ring road.

My one big disappointment was the TV feed. If you are not fluent in Thai, forget it (though speaking Arabic might help - the feed was 95% Thai with some Qatari and Saudi channels thrown in). Since the clientele is mostly young foreigners, the TV feed is poorly chosen - the ubiquitous Thai game shows and shopping channels would surely be of no interest. I appreciate that this is a budget hotel, but in these days of Internet TV, a more suitable feed should surely be available.

I would definitely consider booking this hotel again.

Room Tip: Loud roosters at 3 AM at the back of the hotel - bring your ear plugs!
  • Stayed: November 2017, travelled solo
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 8 November 2017 via mobile

Beautiful hostel with clean beds and rooms. Friendly staff and nice swimming pool! Will definitely recommend and come again!

Close to everything that you would like to see, and has a very western like feel to it.

Stayed: November 2017, travelled with friends
1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 8 November 2017

The staff is friendly and they speaks good English. Hotel is in a good location not too far from city center. The hotel is near the night bazaar market and many restaurants. Rooms are big but lacks lighting.

• Stayed: November 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 October 2017 via mobile

Good to cool off by the pool on warm days. Rooms are clean and the beds are great! Only thing lacking is some atmosphere. Your don't really meet people as a solo traveller, but if you're travelling with a group it's nice. The hostel is a bit outside the old city so it takes about 20 minutes to walk to the temples and markets.

Stayed: October 2017, travelled solo
0.7 km away
Nap in Chiangmai
Nap in Chiangmai
#39 of 402 in Chiang Mai

Been to Glur Chiangmai? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about Glur Chiangmai

Address: 75 Chiang Mai-Lamphun Road | Wat Ket Sub-District, Muang, Chiang Mai 50000, Thailand (Formerly Tea Vana)
Region: Thailand > Chiang Mai Province > Chiang Mai
Bar / Lounge Beverage Selection Business Centre with Internet Access Free Breakfast Free High Speed Internet ( WiFi ) Free Parking Kitchenette Restaurant Room Service Spa Suites Swimming Pool Wheelchair access Airport Transportation
#20 Spa Hotel in Chiang Mai
#37 Best Value Hotel in Chiang Mai
Price Range: €23 - €66 (Based on Average Rates for a Standard Room)
Hotel Class:3 star — Glur Chiangmai 3*
This luxury boutique hotel features 30 rooms, all well equipped and elegantly decorated and complimented by a spa. Hotel features include a restaurant and a spa selling ReunRom Spa Chiangmai products. The hotel is located in close proximity to the University of Chiang Mai, Chiang Mai Zoo, the night bazaar, and temples such as Wat Chiang man. Enclosed between the Narawat Bridge and Iron Bridge. ... more   less
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Ebookers, Travel Republic (UK), Hotels.com, Agoda and HotelQuickly so you can book your Glur Chiangmai reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
Tea Vana Chiang Mai