See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 8 July 2013

So close to everything!! Beds were very uncomfortable and rooms had bug problems but the staff were very kind. Pool was very nice and chill. 500 baht a night for a fan room and 700 baht for AC room. Just a really basic room good for backpackers.

Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 April 2013

Pool was nice, and they were flexible with my dates as I traveled the region (and came and went). Otherwise I feel like there might be better value elsewhere. Shower pressure was minimal, toilet struggled to flush, a/c didn't work too well. Additionally for some reason there was constantly mosquitoes in the room at night. Overall pretty shabby. As a solo traveler/backpacker I don't exactly have super high standards, but I just thought it wasn't much for the money.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 20 April 2013 via mobile

I loved having the pool and the location is awesome. Wifi was really bad though. No food served here, which was a bit annoying. Good place to meet people. Staff is really friendly. Overall, I would definitely recommend this place.

• Stayed: April 2013
Reviewed 15 April 2013

Really loved this hotel. There are plenty of drawbacks - a lack of elevators and curtains, which means the sun will interrupt your sleep every morning - but these were more than compensated for by the lovely staff, the chilled-out pool area and the fact that it's about two minutes from the centre of Chiang Mai. It's probably overpriced, but I felt very comfortable there, which was worth paying a premium for.

Room Tip: Ask for something on the west side of the building, if possible, to shield yourself from the sunrises.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 8 April 2013

I stayed at Smile House Guest House for 3 nights, 8th to 11th February.

My bed was terrible. Springs poked up through the mattress no matter where I lay making it impossible to sleep comfortably. My bed sheets had clearly not been changed and I could feel dirt and grit all over them. In fact, the whole room was dirty. The a/c was noisy and seemed ineffective. There were lots of tiny black bugs all over the walls. There are far better and cheaper options.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled solo