All reviewsadventure tournight markettuk tuknice hotelswimming poolold citywi fiminute walknice poolshower headstayed here for nightssmall balconyquiet areabreakfast includedlaundrymassagebackpackers
Reviewed 26 December 2016

Would very much recommend this hotel. Breakfast was unusually great for Thai hotels of this budget. Good bar. 5 mins from the wall city so ideal location. Staff very polite and helpful. Nice rooms. All for a very reasonable price.

• Stayed: November 2016, travelled with friends
1  Thank Andy B
CMGATE, ผู้จัดการทั่วไป at Chiang Mai Gate Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 August 2017

Thank you very much for the review, it is encouraging for the service.

Reviewed 15 December 2016

I have reviewed this hotel two or three times on this or other booking sites and I am left with the impression that the management do not read them. Otherwise, concerns raised by myself and many other reviewers may have been addressed. On the up side, this is a conveniently located mid-range hotel which I have used several times over the last quarter of a century and will probably come back to. The prices are reasonable for this level of accommodation. On my most recent stay I was given a large room on the top floor with a balcony and a view of the mountains. The room had a comfortable king-size bed, fridge, in-room safe, flat-screen TV, decent air-con and a powerful shower. However, what has been of consistent frustration is the poor quality of the WiFi connection, particularly on the upper floors. Not only do you have to log on every time you use it but it drops out again frequently and the narrow bandwidth makes it impossible to handle processes like uploading photographs. I couldn’t even attempt social interactions with something like Skype. I tried taking my laptop down to reception to take advantage of the stronger WiFi router but, within minutes, became a target for every mosquito in the neighbourhood. So I have to take my kit up to a friend’s restaurant to catch up with my email or update TripAdvisor entries. On the subject of restaurants, I opted out of breakfast on this booking after previous experiences of poor quality. Recent reviews suggest that this situation has not improved either. So overall, this is still a hotel I would use - the reception staff for the most part are friendly and welcoming but the management should really take on board some of the recent criticisms and make necessary improvements.

Room Tip: Try for a room on the upper floors of the wing above reception
  • Stayed: December 2016, travelled solo

ซ่อน

Reviewed 12 December 2016

Arriving somewhat before the normal check-in time, we nonetheless were able to access our rooms. Pleasant reception staff. Helpful carpark attendant.
Breakfast area quite spacious and nice. Food rarely hot, rather lukewarm. Omlettes made on demand.
Rooms kept very clean, as was the hotel grounds. Quite a bit of casual seating. pool looked nice, but not used.
No hand towels in 'standard' rooms,and only one toilet roll supplied each day. Buy your own spares.
Wualai Saturday Night Market the best experienced in Asia. Fabulous food options.
Near the right hand side of Chiang Mai Gate market are many massage places, mostly staffed by slightly older ladies, very experienced. Market OK for food every night and morning.
Road next to old walls, traffic goes anti-clockwise. On other side of moat goes clockwise. Tuk-Tuks and red trucks able to take you to most places around town.

• Stayed: October 2016, travelled with friends
Reviewed 11 December 2016 via mobile

I feel sorry for the nice staff, but this hotel is seriously in need of renovations. The location is not bad but our room was dirty and uncomfortable, the breakfast disappointing. It might not be a horrible place but there are much better alternatives.

Stayed: December 2016, travelled with family
Reviewed 8 December 2016

This place is good in that it has a pool, restaurant, and breakfast is good. It's close to the old city, restaurants, bike hire, and within walking distance of most things. OtOH, the showers are variable, the wi-fi is not reliable, the foyer is always packed with luggage, and the lift is not adequate. Would we use it again? Hell, yes!!!

Room Tip: The front are better rooms, but lower is better in the main section.
  • Stayed: November 2016, travelled as a couple